Duck hunters arrested

Replies

• PinmanPinman Posts: 1,256 Officer
    So they walked across private land to hunt public land?

Issues are litigated multiple times frequently. Just cause one court says its so doesn't make it so. And with Felony trespass with firearms looming Id be breaking open the wallet to get off!

I find it hard to believe that they hunted 3 times, duck hunting none the less which is not a quiet activity, set up blinds with 9 people, all the while knowing they were on private land. They had to reasonably believe they were in the clear.

Onx Hunt App, which they said they were using, mirrors public records in that area. They also said they did not cross any fences.

The devil is in the details.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,424 AG
    Pinman wrote: »
    They also said they did not cross any fences.

OJ said he didn't do it either....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,543 Captain
    The landowners in that area have been waiting for someone to take the original verdict back to court on appeal. If the verdict is upheld it will set legal precedent that has far reaching impacts. In the mean time, because of the original finding, trespass cases will be made at the landowners reques.

BTW, you cant always trust the info you find on an app. I know of at least one that shows an area as public WMA that isn't and never has been. Look at the FWC.pamphlet for the area in question if you want to know what is and isn't publicly huntable.
  • HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 225 Deckhand
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 278 Deckhand
    IMHO...as a land owner, anyone , fireman or not ( btw, what does that matter ), that is has the nads to knowingly climb someone's fence, and go on and use someone's property with out permission, should get some kind of punishment. That does not happen in Decatur County Georgia because of the fear of self policing. The whole fireman angle is nonsense. He could loose his job over ducks. Stupid.
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Even if there were no fences, ignorance is no defense. Here's a fact, every piece of land id owned by somebody. If you are a hunter, you had better make dang sure you are not on private property. That is very dangerous.
    Facebook says " No big deal...just some ducks" ...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Just guessing on the area based on the news reports and property appraisers records, but onx differs on a boundary line that separates Tucker land from public water.

If these guys jumped fences 3 times with 9 people and hunted ducks of all things well within land they knew was private Id say they are idiots of the 9th degree.

If they came in from public waters and didn't jump any fences or didn't pass any No Trespassing signs wouldn't they be in the clear?

I guess we will see. Pretty easy to prove you didn't jump a fence if that was the case.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,421 Admiral
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Facebook says " No big deal...just some ducks" ...

no one ever accused FB of being well educated in anything either.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Owlsey wrote: »
    Even if there were no fences, ignorance is no defense. Here's a fact, every piece of land id owned by somebody. If you are a hunter, you had better make dang sure you are not on private property. That is very dangerous.

From what I understand in Florida if its not fenced, canaled off, or posted you can hunt it. And the line is blurry when it borders public waters with the mean high water rule and all that. Especially ebb and flow rivers where the water line is constantly changing.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,335 Admiral
    Pinman, who owns the sovereign waters lands? Historic High water mark is it not low water mark.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,576 Captain
    They knew it was private....they asked for permission before then poached when they didn't get the answer they wanted....the rumor has it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    the rumor is they asked after the fact..but im not talking about this in particular. Lots of places you can legally hunt but landowners scare you from doing it as well as some officers who dont know the law as well.
    All I'm saying is theres a tendency in this country as of late to jump all over people at first glance. "Innocent until proven guilty" It will all come out in court with facts and not "rumors". Theres always 2 sides to a story and most times 3, the last being what actually happened.

People would probably jump all over me for my "arrest" by Federal Game Wardens and notice to appear many years ago. For shooting a Federally Protected species. No denying I shot a bunch of them....Theres more to the story though.... I and others were exonerated and the next year "White wing" dove were added to the bag limit instead of just saying "dove".
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,459 Admiral
    Pinman wrote: »
    "White wing" dove were added to the bag limit instead of just saying "dove".

You bagged Stevie Nicks? Well done, young man!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    isnt it a shame our state does not promote the ability to hunt sovereign wetlands?
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,276 Officer
    isnt it a shame our state does not promote the ability to hunt sovereign wetlands?

Yes, but they would have to first figure out where they were and nobody wants to be the one to draw the lines.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,124 Officer
    For the most part it depends on the water body. Some waters are state of Florida, however the bottom lands may be owned by the adjacent land owners. You can acess the water, you just can't get out and wade or access the shoreline. Many interior lakes will have multiple land owners of the bottom even though the surface waters are state waters with a public boat ramp. There have been lawsuits over ownership of river bottoms & lake bottoms. The State of Florida owns the majority but a lot of state universities own the bottoms or parts in some cases. (Don't know how or why.) The old (out of print) Florida Lakes Gassiteer had every water. Ody with ownership, access, Mean High Water Line, etc. So court or attorney and maybe a professional lakes person may all be in the mix.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 240 Deckhand
    If the state agencies would quit funding the spraying of all the hydrilla in the central Florida lakes and the St. Johns, it would alleviate many of the problems the duck hunter faces. Toho, Cypress, Hatch, Kissimmee, Pierce all need to be left alone for a few years. Its going to be hard to keep the waterfowlers interested with the declining duck harvest in the publicly accessible areas. The only duck hunters are going to be in South Florida. Jmo.
    139sst wrote: »
    If the state agencies would quit funding the spraying of all the hydrilla in the central Florida lakes and the St. Johns, it would alleviate many of the problems the duck hunter faces. Toho, Cypress, Hatch, Kissimmee, Pierce all need to be left alone for a few years. Its going to be hard to keep the waterfowlers interested with the declining duck harvest in the publicly accessible areas. The only duck hunters are going to be in South Florida. Jmo.

Less interest is fine with me.... everyone going to S Fla to duck hunt is fine with me....what FWC does in aquatic plant management is fine with me.

No ducks in Florida anyway....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,809 Captain
    Less interest is fine with me.... everyone going to S Fla to duck hunt is fine with me....what FWC does in aquatic plant management is fine with me.

SINCERELY,

THE VOICE OF FLORIDA'S WATERFOWLERS!!!!
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 240 Deckhand

Duckman, I know you are being facetious but I sadly agree with you.This baby boomer hunter drop out i keep reading about is desperately needed. Especially if the only places that are going to be holding ducks are the Merritt Island, Tm goodwin, Sta's. There are far too many hunters for the available habitat. My deer lease in south Georgia has a waiting list as well and i would consider it no better than average.
    Hunters drive in to camp trying to join for the next year.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,903 Captain
    I am going to a meeting on the exotic plant control on the ARMLOX National Wildlife Refuge this afternoon...to represent United Waterfowlers-FL (www.uw-f.org) and make sure duck hunting is considered. Although LOX has major problems with European Fern in the drier areas...and that will be the major topic of the meeting, there continues to be a cattail intrusion into good habitats....Not so much a hydrilla problem....and little or no spraying of SAV. We also will soon have a stakeholder meeting on the scheduling of spraying on Lake O...and places....with the FWC with duck hunting particularly being considered. Soon...unfortunately the first meeting was canceled during the lost angler tragedy...The loss of SAV is a problem across the state and UW-F will be requesting the FWC bring in the other agencies doing spraying to a state wide meeting with stakeholders to review the entire management of aquatic plant control....and how the parameters can be changed to do the job needed to be done, yet maintain good SAV habitats for the creatures...IF YOU want to actually have impact...you must attend the current "planning" meetings and these possible new review meetings, or at least offer written statements to the FWC (or other agency involved)...
    Any word on the make up date yet?

Lox is a disgrace...but the lipstick on the pig looks good
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,584 Captain
    Newt, let's get some of that North end of lox opened to hunting, and a return of airboat access like we had back in the good ol days.
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Any word on the make up date yet?

Lox is a disgrace...but the lipstick on the pig looks good

The lipstick on the pig needs a change of color too!!!
    w any luck all them brown uniforms will be locked out in the future..
    TGunn wrote: »

SINCERELY,

THE VOICE OF FLORIDA'S WATERFOWLERS!!!!

I am only my own voice....I have not been an officer or board member in almost a decade Tommy boy.....but nice that you acknowledge that the state thinks my input has value.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    139sst wrote: »
    Duckman, I know you are being facetious but I sadly agree with you.This baby boomer hunter drop out i keep reading about is desperately needed. Especially if the only places that are going to be holding ducks are the Merritt Island, Tm goodwin, Sta's. There are far too many hunters for the available habitat. My deer lease in south Georgia has a waiting list as well and i would consider it no better than average.
    Hunters drive in to camp trying to join for the next year.

Yes, I feel that the best course of action here with crazy people...idiots..and the sycophants that adore them...is being facetious.

This year, the numbers for TMG are abysmal.....MINWR is only a little better. The STA's while not the halcyon days of a decade ago...still have good bird numbers compared to other places. As long as there are those who want big shoots..they will be popular. I like less ducks with the attendant less crowds.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Something I totally agree with Joe on, I'll trade a peaceful 3 bird apiece shoot between a couple buddies to a hectic all night affair in line to try and shoot 6 each.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file