Farthest Casting 8 & Bait Surf rods

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 349 Deckhand
I know there are A Lot of factors in getting the most distance you can Casting 6-8 oz’s of lead and bait. Reel, line, technique, etc.....

But what specific rods that you know of, can really sling that amount of weight?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Paulieboy73Paulieboy73 Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Off the shelf you have 8-9ft Star, Crowder, Lamiglass...etc. There are plenty of blanks that you can have built to throw whatever you need.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,729 Captain
    Off the shelf you have 8-9ft Star, Crowder, Lamiglass...etc. There are plenty of blanks that you can have built to throw whatever you need.

Only 8 or 9 feet?

Those are too short for tossing that kind of weight.

They would have to be Heavy or Extra Heavy action.

The "normal" surf rods of that length can handle about 3 oz. of lead.

For 6 - 8 oz. rigs, an 11 -13 ft. rod, or larger, would be probably be needed.

The commercial guys we've seen tossing long-distance use "conventional" reels.

Spinners are fine most of the time, but for long distance, they won't do the job.

Braided line, with a mono or fluoro topshot that's 10 lbs. test per every oz. of lead.

Without one, the braid will break in short order, and it will cut your finger.

For a long rod, tossing that much weight, consider a mechanical line trigger.

Or, a much longer topshot that reaches all the way to the reel.

( You still might need a piece of bicycle inner-tube on your finger. )
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 349 Deckhand
    Thanks Nick! Any brands you think can chuck it the farthest?
    I have been using 9 ft 30-50 lb rods with penn torque 40's loaded with 30 lb mono and tossing 8-10 oz weights WITH bait (mullet heads, chunk ladyfish, crabs, etc. over 100 yrds from beaches and inlets for years.
    What exactly are you targeting?
    It’s for tossing rigs for blacktips/spinners.

You know, there are so many brands that offer these 12’ heavers, im just wondering if there REALLY is that much difference in the distance casted between brands. I’ve been trying really hard to find one that will cast it the furthest, but maybe I’m just blowing this too out of proportion, and need to just buy one and be done with it.
    Where are you fishing?
    If you are close to the jupiter area go see Todd at Juno bait & tackle...he will point you in the right direction.
    Believe me when i say when the conditions are right you definitely dont need to cast way out there for the spinners and tippies...fresh bait is the key!
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,729 Captain
    I have been using 9 ft 30-50 lb rods with penn torque 40's loaded with 30 lb mono and tossing 8-10 oz weights WITH bait (mullet heads, chunk ladyfish, crabs, etc. over 100 yrds from beaches and inlets for years.

Not that I doubt it, but have you ever actually measured that distance?

Once thought my 9 ft. spinner with braid was tossing 3 oz. of lead + a dropper rig that far.

A trip to a nearby football field, however, proved less than successful.

The farthest toss turned out to be about 70 yards ... .
    No worries, I've never measured it but with a full spool of over 300 yards I've came close to doing half a spool on a 8 oz cast with no bait
    Thankyou Paulieboy73!
    I’ve been looking at the “Surf Angler Rods” 12’ BIG UN’ Surf Rod for a while now. That’s where I’m currently leaning.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 733 Officer
    Thankyou Paulieboy73!
    I’ve been looking at the “Surf Angler Rods” 12’ BIG UN’ Surf Rod for a while now. That’s where I’m currently leaning.

just like in another popular pastime......''it's not the length of the rod, it's the action''

a stiffer rod will not cast as far as one with more whip to it..
    😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file