Back to Panama

I am honored, Tropic Star Lodge has invited me back to spearhead another construction project for them.
I should only be there a month, to get it started, and train everyone in procedure, they can finish it on their
own once I set it up and teach them the process.
Part of my compensation, is a Bertram, captain and mate every Sunday to chase billfish and catch a few
tuna for the lodge.:fishing
F the feds

Replies

• ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,825 Officer
    G
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,094 Admiral
    Enjoy yourself and have a safe trip.
  • billybob11billybob11 Posts: 148 Officer
    I think it may take more than a month. That is only 4 Sundays
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 765 Officer
    Need an assistant?
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 995 Officer
    Dang that is awesome Bodine! Would be so cool if you could document the construction process in pics and also show us some fishing footage. Hope to go there some day!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,838 Captain
    seabiscuit wrote: »
    Dang that is awesome Bodine! Would be so cool if you could document the construction process in pics and also show us some fishing footage. Hope to go there some day!

Here is the report from my last visit. Scroll down until you see the walkway leading to the slab I poured.
    I will be removing it, placing new pilings and beams, and forming and pouring a new wider walkway.
    All by hand of course, and using those wonderful mangrove roots for support , lol.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?113773-Jungle-construction&highlight=Tropic+Star
    F the feds
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 778 Officer
    I need to get up with you before you go. When are you leaving? Do you need some help?
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,282 Officer
    I will avoid any comments like, "doing another run then ?", or, "thats the trouble with giving guarantees, you have to go back and fix things" and just wish you a safe and prosperous venture, pictures of large pelagics appreciated.:wink
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 572 Officer
    Nice gig - go have fun!
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • bayshorebayshore Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Totally jealous. I've been to TSL a few times and would go back every year if I could. By far the best big-game fishing lodge in the world. On my last trip I was tight to a 350-pound black marlin off Zane Grey Reef within an hour after arriving and eating lunch. Awesome fishery, great accommodations and super folks. Tell Mike and Terri Capt. Dave said hi and that I've still got my certificate for Angler of the Ear and the scar to prove it.

Good luck with your project and have fun on your "off" days.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,176 Moderator
    Cool. I remember the other thread.

Why is the first slab needing to be removed ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    Cool. I remember the other thread.

Why is the first slab needing to be removed ?

First slab is fine and now has a great dockhouse on it. I am removing and re building the walkway to it.

Will do Dave, Mike and I are flying down together and I am staying at his house in the city before transport to Pinas.
    F the feds
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Looks like a fun project in a fun place to work. I'm sure it's labor intensive, no doubt.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,571 Captain
    Congratulations on the return business!
    Proverbs 13:3
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 995 Officer
    Spoke to guys at Tropic Star today at Dallas Safari Club convention. Owner had great things to say about you. Looks like a very fun place. Kids fish free, which is hard to resist.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    Some guys know how to make their way. Nice gig Bodine. Looking forward to more pics of the construction and fishing.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,352 Captain
    It looks like the concrete walkway to the slab was pre- existing. How much wider are you going to make the new one? 90 lb hammer time.
  • IAMIAM Posts: 234 Officer
    Congrats Bodine! Sounds like a short enough job to be awesome and fun, but gets you home to the family before too long.
    I did this job last May/June, I think Bisquit brought it back up because he spoke with
    the owner about me at an outing in Texas this week.
    And yes, I tore down the old walk way and made it 2' wider, new pilings and beams,
    all poured by hand.
    F the feds
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 276 Deckhand
    Bodine wrote: »
    I did this job last May/June, I think Bisquit brought it back up because he spoke with
    the owner about me at an outing in Texas this week.
    And yes, I tore down the old walk way and made it 2' wider, new pilings and beams,
    all poured by hand.

I had to look up this thread because I just finished watching Sportfishing TV at Tropic Star. The new dock looked great on TV. That's a beautiful spot.
    Things are still changing at TS, new pool area, renovated lodging, and new quarters for the permanent in place employees.
    The Bertrams are being outfitted with new electronics, new quiet engines, and air conditioning, man those old Detroits were noisy.
    The captains are being taught how to use the new electronics and English.

Mike and Terri sold an interest in the lodge to a Brazilian family which allows them to put money into the infrastructure.
    We still stay in touch, good folks with warm hearts.
    F the feds
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,729 Captain
    Have a great trip ... there and back.

Keep seeing links to articles about "great places to retire abroad".

Can't remember any mentions of Panama ... any idea of why?

I remember that English is widely spoken, but that's about it.
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 778 Officer
    Way To Go JEFF!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file