Outboard for Jon Boat

Looking to buy a tiller outboard for my jon boat. Where in Jax sells used? Looking for a 20 or 25 hp if anyone is looking to get rid of one.

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,419 Officer
    They're all over Craigslist this time of year. I would personally try to find one that has only been used in freshwater.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,142 Officer
    For a john boat an older merc 2 stroke will be light enough and have more power than the equivelent four stroke. I had a 14' skiff that halled azzz with a merc 25 2 stroke. About 30mph with a tiller
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,034 Admiral
    You get rid of your mud motor ??.....that thing was the bomb.!
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 869 Officer
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    You get rid of your mud motor ??.....that thing was the bomb.!

Heck no! But its too slow for longer runs when I dont need to get shallow or push thru vegetation. I want something to swap out for hunting the gulf or running across Loch or Sampson for crappie.
  • Colonel AngusColonel Angus Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Joe I have a 1986 25hp yamaha sitting in my garage. Motor runs but won't stay in gear at throttle. Needs a clutch dog and probably a carb rebuild. I used the motor for about 4 months and when it gave me trouble I took it off, bought a brand new Evinrude 25 and haven't looked back. Anyway, message me if you're interested in putting some work into it.
  • flounder2flounder2 Posts: 67 Deckhand
    With 40 years of experience in owning all sorts of outboards, my belief is that if you cannot afford it new, you **** sure can't afford it used.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 571 Officer
    if you understand ignition, fuel and compression you can get very good deals on used outboards. Some folks will not or cannot pony out $2500-$3000 for a 25. Me being one of them. Oh, I bought my first one in 1961 at the age of 13- a used 5.5 hp Sea- King.
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 301 Deckhand
    They don't give them away, but, if you buy a new Evinrude right now they are giving a 10 year factory warranty. Hard to beat that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file