When should you visit the ER?

13»

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,421 Admiral
    So let me see if I got this correct.......if I do any research to try to self diagnose my condition then I'm an idiot.

But once the doctor tells me what I got..........I'm supposed to dictate and insist what he prescribes for me based on the pharmaceutical companies advertisements I've been bombarded with all day.

:rolleyesYJCMTSU:rolleyes

actually if you're smart, you'll get a second opinion
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,408 AG
    I have been to the emergency room four times in my life. Every other time I needed medical attention after hours I went to a walk in clinic since they are quicker and can handle most non emergencies. Once was chest pains that was stress related after a lot of tests. Twice was when I went to the walk in clinic for stitches and they referred me to the emergency room. The first was a knife through my hand and they were worried I had cut tendons and the other was an old picture tube monitor fell ten feet on my head and cut it open, and they said I need a CAT scan.

The last time was this weekend due to my sciatica. My back locked up, any minor movement caused pain like I had never felt in my life. They shot me full of Prednisone and pain killers and sent me on my way in about 4 hours. Saw my doctor Monday and got to get a new MRI now to see where we go. Back still hurts in the mornings, but at least I can walk and the pain gets better as I move around.

Every time I went I got in fairly quickly, When I went in with the chest pains I waited 5 minutes, the two referrals form a walk in clinic, maybe 30 minutes, the last time as soon as I got there.

I always, if needed, will go to a walk in clinic after hours and let them refer me if they think it is needed. It is cheaper and quicker in most cases.

Mini Mart Magnate

• dave44dave44 Posts: 6,624 Admiral
    I usually go when I have a few broken bones, although once I cut my knee open and it was spraying things. I put an old sock on it, but it was still a little too messy so I had to have a friend drive me in, it was my clutch knee, and I didn’t want to mess up my truck that bad.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,239 Officer
    You should all try the Palm Bay Hospital ER on a weekend when the entire population of Fellsmere moves in for their weekly med "appointments." I've always wanted to walk in wearing a Immigration police vest and see how many get well real quick!
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,408 AG
    dave44 wrote: »
    I usually go when I have a few broken bones, although once I cut my knee open and it was spraying things. I put an old sock on it, but it was still a little too messy so I had to have a friend drive me in, it was my clutch knee, and I didn’t want to mess up my truck that bad.

That's funny because when I did my hand I had my brother take me to the walk in because I didn't want to get blood all over my truck as well. Wrapped it in a towel until he could drive to the clinic.

Mini Mart Magnate

13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file