Flu shots????

GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,459 Admiral
I know there are a lot of geezers(TTT) on this here web forum, do y'all get flu shots?

I've never gotten one, but I'm starting to get paranoid with the bad flu bug going around.

I have always heard that a lot of folks get “flu like symptoms” for several days after a flu shot. I'm not down with that.

What sayeth the brain trust? Get a flu shot? Don't get a flu shot?
Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,135 AG
    My doc says no, so no flu shot.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 395 Deckhand
    The ER thread showed that a lot of forum members get their health advice online. I would recommend asking Google or better yet Siri.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,405 Captain
    I have never gotten one and I get the flu about once every 20 years. I think it is just another way for the pharmaceuticals to get your money by scaring the public.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,686 Admiral
    My doc recommends a flu shot every year. Been getting one every year for the last 10 years. So far no flu.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,893 Admiral
    Haven’t had one since I got out of the military 20 years ago. Can count on one hand how many times I’ve had the flu since.
    I avoid crowds, wash my hands and eat my collards!
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,624 Admiral
    I hate collards, and I have vey young nieces and nephews. So I am required to get flu shots.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,408 AG
    I have gotten mine for the last five years with no problems. Doctor recommended it one year so I did and have since. Publix gave you $25 to get a flu shot from them this year.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Gary SGary S Posts: 610 Officer
    Had the flu once in 63 years. Although it kicked my *** I still don't get a shot. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,960 AG
    Nope, and have never had the flu.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • WelwoodWelwood Posts: 745 Officer
    For those of you whose doctors have advised "no flu shot", do they give any reason/opinion?

I read this season's flu shot was only 10% effective.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,350 Captain
    I get one every year. No ill effects from the shot. I usually go to the health dept it's cheaper $15. Usually no waiting.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,413 Captain
    I think you should get a flu shot.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,580 Admiral
    It's all a joke, or a craps shoot really. They have to make up the shots long before the strain of flu is actually detected. So it is a wag at best. Not to mention the harmful stuff they put in it. No thank you, I'll take my chances without poisoning myself!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,459 Admiral
    I've only had the flu once in my 55 years, about 38 years ago. It kicked my butt.

I just can't get off the fence on this flu shot thing. The factor that has stopped me from getting a shot was the flu like symptoms. It appears from the feedback here that no one has experienced this issue.

Looks like I may roll the dice and get the shot.

cadman wrote: »
    Publix gave you $25 to get a flu shot from them this year.

Google has no info on the $25. Can you elaborate so that I may partake? Thanks
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • WILLIEGATORWILLIEGATOR Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Up here in Jax, an article in the paper the other day interviewed one local clinic and they were seeing 50% of the Flu cases said they had received a flu shot this year and that it appeared that the type of virus we are getting this year, the shot was only 10-20% effective.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,727 Admiral
    The ER thread showed that a lot of forum members get their health advice online. I would recommend asking Google or better yet Siri.

I don't get advice online, as much as I do research. Call it prescreening. Some Docs even find it helpful.

I would recommend you all get the flu shot

A.) I don't have to because I have a super immune system (I Googled it)
    B.) If you all get it them my chances of getting it goes down

Captain Todd Approves

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,378 AG
    Get one every year(free at the VA)And the phenuminia shot every five.
    Haven't got sick so far.
    Flu shot helped? dumb luck? who knows.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,694 Captain
    tag wrote: »
    My doc recommends a flu shot every year. Been getting one every year for the last 10 years. So far no flu.
    This....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    tag wrote: »
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    This....

Let me be your control in this experiment. No flu shots and I can't remember the last time I had the flu.

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,893 Admiral
    What about the Spanish flu??
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,408 AG
    GA Fin wrote: »
    I've only had the flu once in my 55 years, about 38 years ago. It kicked my butt.

I just can't get off the fence on this flu shot thing. The factor that has stopped me from getting a shot was the flu like symptoms. It appears from the feedback here that no one has experienced this issue.

Looks like I may roll the dice and get the shot.

Google has no info on the $25. Can you elaborate so that I may partake? Thanks

It was back in October. It may have been for that month only. Right now CVS and Target are free shots plus a$5 coupon. You need to get the shot at the start of the season.
    My brother works there and tells me every year when they start the deal. I get the shot and free groceries.

Mini Mart Magnate

mustang190 wrote: »
    What about the Spanish flu??

I'm safe. I am Polish.

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,421 Admiral
    Johnny walker black count?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,384 Captain
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    From the CDC......

Some news reports have claimed the flu vaccine is expected to be only 10% effective this year, is this true?

The 10% vaccine effectiveness (VE) figure reported in the news is an Australian interim estimate of the vaccine’s benefit against one flu virus (the H3N2 virus) that circulated in Australia during its most recent flu season. In the United States last season, overall vaccine effectiveness against all circulating flu viruses was 39%, and VE was only a bit lower (32%) against H3N2 viruses. Vaccine effectiveness against other flu viruses (i.e., H1N1 or B viruses) was‎ higher. The United States has a very robust network that estimates vaccine effectiveness each season. This season’s flu vaccine includes the same H3N2 vaccine component as last season, and most circulating H3N2 viruses that have been tested in the United States this season are still similar to the H3N2 vaccine virus. Based on this data, CDC believes U.S. VE estimates from last season are likely to be a better predictor of the flu vaccine benefits to expect this season against circulating H3N2 viruses in the United States. This is assuming minimal change to circulating H3N2 viruses. However, because it is early in the season, CDC flu experts cannot predict which flu viruses will predominate. Estimates of the flu vaccine’s effectiveness against circulating flu viruses in the United States will be available later in the season.
    I have heard conflicting accounts of whether the current flu shot will minimize the severity of the H3N2 even though the Australian strain is not specifically in this years shot. I always thought the current shot only protected against the 3 or 4 strains that the epidemiologists included. I also think the antiviral Tamaflu might be important to take for these more severe influenza A strains, that can develop into pneumonia. I am trying to avoid crowds as people are contagious up the 24 hours prior to symptoms, even going to the gym early in the day when now crowded, trying to shop for groceries when stores are not packed. the atomized droplets with virus can hang around in the air for hours so not sure any of that really helps reduce the odds of catching it...maybe a little.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,580 Admiral
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file