american panga

petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 95 Greenhorn
well its about time to boat shop. anyone who owns or knows someone who owns an american panga boat, please chime in on quality of construction, comfort of ride, etc. thanks for any input.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 1,869 Captain
    I have a buddy with a 22’ panga( not sure of the make). It is very tippy( he has a tower) very wet and has very little storage ( compared to a pathfinder) I wouldn’t own one, I don’t care how efficient they are. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 159 Officer
    I own an 18 panga marine. I don't have enough boating experience to say I can truly push the limits of my panga and give you an expert opinion, but I will give you a layman's opinion. I got caught in the inlet once in super choppy 5 foot swells, and although I ran the boat very slowly (7 knots), I hardly got a drop of water in my boat. The upturned bow makes a huge difference. Conversely, the rumors I heard of people running Panga 18s across to the Bahamas, I would never even dream of that. The boat doesn't have much freeboard and a following sea would worry me.

You will find varying opinions of people who love, hate and everything in between the pangas. I would stick with the 2 big american manufacturers, Panga Marine and Andros and spend a lot of time on setup.

The setup of the boat is a big deal, and I would suggest a panga if you are a "tinkerer". Prop selection, weight distribution, trim tabs, make a huge difference in how the boat rides, draft and performs.

My only real complaint with my boat is the setup, which is nobody's fault other than the person who requested the build. The combination of a relatively heavy motor (Evinrude 75), good size poling platform, and the likely culprit of two 6 gallon removable fuel tanks in the rear, cause me not to get the 6" draft advertised by Panga Marine. Trim tabs have been suggested, but again, more tinkering.

Best of luck. If there is a "best of both worlds" boat, its a Panga.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    thanks for the input. the 18 footer is the boat I'm considering.
    Best of luck Pete. Let us know what you get!
  • reyreyreyrey Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    I also have an 18' Panga Marine. The boat isn't tippy at all, eats the chop head on, have taken it offshore on some sketchy days (never felt unsafe), and floats skinny enough for me to stalk bones and reds (it does hull slap). A beam sea with anything blowing over 10 will get you wet, then again, what skiff won't. SIPS fuel, solid construction, and easy to maintain. I only see myself selling it to upgrade to a 22’ Panga Marine one day.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,059 AG
    I have always admired the panga hulls. Not sure how these hulls differ from Bahama style pangs. These are from Baja Sur in sea of Cortez.

Pangas are Orca proof!!

These things would haul 10 people, gear and such. Some days swell were 6 feet but we always beached in protected coves.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Please ride in one in 2-3’ chip before you decide. My pathfinder is much more dry, handles chop way better and has double to triple the amount of storage. I have 2 good fishing buddies with 22’ pangas and wouldn’t own one if it was given to me. But I guess that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla
  • GeetchGeetch Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    A boat with a Carolina flare is dry as well.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    thanks for all the comments, pro and con. I've been told that panga marine in sarasota will offer test rides so i may ride down that way soon and check them out. I've always been amazed by the utility of panga boats and i think the panga design would suit my style of fishing- mostly upper bays to very nearshore on good days.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,945 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I have always admired the panga hulls. Not sure how these hulls differ from Bahama style pangs. These are from Baja Sur in sea of Cortez.

Pangas are Orca proof!!

These things would haul 10 people, gear and such. Some days swell were 6 feet but we always beached in protected coves.

Bahamas style pangas aren't pangas, but you go on with your bad self.
    thanks for all the comments, pro and con. I've been told that panga marine in sarasota will offer test rides so i may ride down that way soon and check them out. I've always been amazed by the utility of panga boats and i think the panga design would suit my style of fishing- mostly upper bays to very nearshore on good days.

It would fit your style of fishing, but definitely test ride. Is there a reason you are leaning this way as there are a lot of other good choices too. Where in Florida will you be fishing? Budget?
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 925 Officer
    I have rode in several while fishing in Costa Rica, Honduras and Mexico. They all rode great and were dry in all sea conditions except when running with a quartering sea with high winds. Most boats would have been wet in the same conditions. If I was looking for a bay style boat a Panga would be high on my list. Good luck with and let us know how it goes.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,114 Officer
    I too have ridden in many pangas, in Baja, Mexico and lately locally out of Homasassa. I've always been impressed with there ride in chop, shallow water going and fuel mileage. It takes a smaller engine to push a panga than a bay boat.
    I just don’t understand. Pangas are the worst boat I’ve ever fished in, and there is no close second( I’ve fished in smaller ones in Mexico, no problem on the shallow flats). But the 22’ are narrow, tippy , super wet, can’t handle chop, have no storage, bad layout and don’t get any shallower than a 22’ bay boat. I can’t understand why anyone would own one, that had a better option. When my buddies that own pangas ride with me, they know they made a mistake. Good luck with your decision
    Pete, maybe try reaching out to Tarpon20 on here as he has owned both, a Panga and Pathfinder:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?96117-Panga-vs-Bay-Boat
    Rey,

Can your panga run in 12" or less? My draft is closer to 8-9", but even with a jack plate, considering the skeg depth and bow rise I can't get near running in a foot. I have heard the trim tabs really help the bow rise and I have considered them.

I think the rear fuel tanks are killing me along with the poling platform, so I probably have 150 extra pounds of weight near the rear of the boat. And I would need a low water pickup.

The better addressed question would be, do you feel a properly setup panga can run in 12" or less.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 925 Officer
    From a guide
    Tarpon20 wrote: »
    I had a Panga Marine 22 and loved it. Mine was one of the 1st ones and it did everything I ever wanted to do. I had a 90 2 stroke yamaha and it pushed it in the upper 30's. It was a very simple fishing boat, 48 gallon livewell, big storage compartment under from deck and it had lots of open space. I currently have had a Pathfinder 22 now for almost 4 years and it's a good boat for guiding, other than that the Panga did more in my opinion. It floated just as shallow, the Panga beat the snot out of a chop and I didn't have tabs, never once took water over the bow and we fished it 40 miles out in the gulf and went sail fishing all the time in Miami. The Pathfinder will take water over the bow in a tight chop at 2ft. You can rig a trolling motor, power poles and such just like any other bay boat and it will catch just as many fish at a much nicer price. Rob McDaniels is a great guy at Panga Marine, never had anything break on the boat and looked all perfect after 6 yrs of guiding hard. My Pathfinder port/starboard storage hatches seem to break twice a year, which can't ever get them to warranty. Screws on the console have to be tightened daily and the non skid was like ice after the 1st year and the boat was bought new. The Pathfinder is a perfect guide boat, but if I wasn't guiding id have no problem fishing a Panga again. Some people don't like the looks of a Panga, but a lot of the people bashing them have probably never ridden in one.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,203 Admiral
    I have a buddy with a 22’ panga( not sure of the make). It is very tippy( he has a tower) very wet and has very little storage ( compared to a pathfinder) I wouldn’t own one, I don’t care how efficient they are. Good luck

We may know the same person!

Though a cool looking hull design, after riding in one I was underwhelmed for the reasons you mentioned.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Matt,
    Not exactly sure how shallow it will run. I try to run in water 2ft or deeper to avoid tearing up the seagrass in the areas I fish. It does float shallow for an 18' boat.
  • excaliberexcaliber Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Every Panga I've ever been in has been really wet when the seas are up and it's windy.  Maybe I should say I got soaked every time I've been in a Panga and it was no fun.
    I see the appeal of a less expensive boat but there are just too many things you have to compromise on with a Panga.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 342 Deckhand
    I just don’t understand. Pangas are the worst boat I’ve ever fished in, and there is no close second( I’ve fished in smaller ones in Mexico, no problem on the shallow flats). But the 22’ are narrow, tippy , super wet, can’t handle chop, have no storage, bad layout and don’t get any shallower than a 22’ bay boat. I can’t understand why anyone would own one, that had a better option. When my buddies that own pangas ride with me, they know they made a mistake. Good luck with your decision
    super salty gator LOL.....reasons to buy a panga include, they are very light weight, they dont require a large motor, they are good on fuel, although they may not be as "dry" as your bay boat due to the high bow, they can handle very rough conditions such as launching and beaching in 6' breaking surf.

I doubt the bay boat would be able to punch through a 3' wave of white water in the surf without stuffing the bow.
    super salty gator LOL.....reasons to buy a panga include, they are very light weight, they dont require a large motor, they are good on fuel, although they may not be as "dry" as your bay boat due to the high bow, they can handle very rough conditions such as launching and beaching in 6' breaking surf.

I doubt the bay boat would be able to punch through a 3' wave of white water in the surf without stuffing the bow.
    Not salty at all, I love my boat and couldn’t be happier. But, I have experience fishing on pangas. Just trying to help someone avoid a big mistake.  They are wet, tippy, have no storage, crazy hull slap, huge profile for catching wind, not that light and are ugly. Man, I could go on all day how sorry these boats are.  So if a gas mileage is that important, knock yourself out. But I wouldn’t take one for free.  
  • zamogzamog Posts: 283 Deckhand
    all depends on where you fish, have a friend that goes outta Ponce in his catching cobes etc. not a bad ride, just dont like the no storage, no deck etc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file