Need input from an FWC officer please...

GulfCoast1102GulfCoast1102 Posts: 37 Greenhorn
I'm sure this has been asked, but I didn't see it.

Federal season for amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Florida opens for most of the month of January 2018. Florida law states that amberjack can not be taken in state waters until later in 2018.

If I catch an Amberjack in Federal water off of the Florida coast, can I legally return to the dock with my Amberjack, assuming that I did not stop and fish anywhere in state waters on the ride back to the dock?

I expect this is printed in a law book some place, but I haven't been able to find it. I want to educate myself and stay legal.

Thanks!

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 850 Officer
    I'm not FWC - the theory is that you leave port and head to federal waters - without stopping in state waters and return without stopping in state waters and you are fine. You've got your GPS track if it comes down to that. I doubt you will have any issues as AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters.

Kudos for wanting to do the right thing.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 452 Deckhand
    "AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters"

I do not know where you are fishing- they are a complete PIA in state waters in upper gulf (northwest) - they are everywhere in herds - only second to the feral pig golith groupers- endangered yeah right-
  • EyesonuEyesonu Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Rich m is correct. It's called "direct transit". If you catch fish in federal water you can legally possess them in state water as long as you are in direct transit back to the dock.
  • GulfCoast1102GulfCoast1102 Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Do you know where I can find this in writing? I've been searching the FWC site, but I haven't found anything. I did see something about it under commercial regs in a Google search.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 452 Deckhand

Ok I will bite- what is the punch line? or was that the punch line?
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 124 Deckhand
    The more important question is this - why do you want to bring a worm hotel back to the dock!! The few AJs I've bothered to clean were always riddled with worms. I once caught about 40 big ones in one morning and when I got to the fish house they wanted to pay me 30 cents/lb. I never tried for them again. I will not be sad if I never catch another one.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,181 Officer
    xenia wrote: »
    The more important question is this - why do you want to bring a worm hotel back to the dock!! The few AJs I've bothered to clean were always riddled with worms. I once caught about 40 big ones in one morning and when I got to the fish house they wanted to pay me 30 cents/lb. I never tried for them again. I will not be sad if I never catch another one.

Guess you don`t eat many red grouper either................
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 850 Officer
    "AJs are rarely if ever caught in state waters"

I do not know where you are fishing- they are a complete PIA in state waters in upper gulf (northwest) - they are everywhere in herds - only second to the feral pig golith groupers- endangered yeah right-

Sorry - I've not fished up there, just west Coast, East Coast, and the Keys - Maybe some areas around miami may also have them in state waters - most other places it is a 15+ mile run to catch 'em. I stand corrected. They are my favorite fish to catch & eat - east coats is a 30 mile run and most are in the 30-40# bracket, some worms but not too bad...
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 359 Deckhand

Ok I will bite- what is the punch line? or was that the punch line?

FWC officers don't have time to check forums; they all need second jobs to make ends meet. The state pays them peanuts compared to any other LEO out there.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,654 Captain
    They are not going to put into print that it is okay to take in Fed water as long as you don't stop in state water, that is not something that they would put into print, you just have to understand the law and their jurisdictions.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 283 Deckhand
    I'll eat AJ all day long.

My wife just paid $9 lb for smoked AJ, she was desperate for me to make some fish dip for her dad and I haven't been out in a while.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 509 Officer
    You always have to cross state water when fishing in federal water to get there and get back. Just do not stop and fish - come on in and have your chart plotter recording the track for your own good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file