Reel/Rod Combo Opinions

WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 38 Greenhorn
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a Trevela Rod w/ a Release SG reel on it, does anyone have any experience with these reels? What did you catch, how deep were you dropping, etc...

I really like the lite weight of this combo, just don't know much about these reels. Ultimately I would like to use this setup for red snapper, grouper, AJ's...

• Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 518 Officer
    I own that reel, definitely not up to par for big bottom fish. Works fine for snapper, but you won’t be able to turn the handle on big jacks. I’ve trashed the reel twice by trying lol. Fun reel for 20lb mono though.
  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Thanks, what do you recommend?
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 518 Officer
    I really like the penn fathom lever drags. They can actually handle the drag they advertise with out blowing out the bearings. If you want to spend the bucks, the new accurate valiants look bad ***, as do the daiwa saltiga star drags.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    Move up the Seigler LGN... Still relatively small & has more balls than the SG/SGN
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' / 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons or Limits :banghead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file