they dead

small canal by my house, probably 1/4 mile long was filled with snook tuesday evening with many turning sideways.
Most were dead yesterday evening when I checked again.
Couple pics from this am..

Fixin to take an airboat ride and check some more places.
I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Replies

• nicknick Posts: 4,469 Captain
    Thinning out the weak.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,454 Admiral
    nick wrote: »
    Thinning out a year class.
    fify
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,347 Moderator
    Fillet and release.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,223 Admiral
    What? Someone on here told me they were just sunning their bellies? :shrug :huh

Could be worse.

Could be better too.

Captain Todd Approves

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,175 Admiral
    Slots for 2019-2020 season will be 29 3/4-29 7/8
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,424 Officer
    Never a pleasing sight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,184 Captain
    They are going to shut down snook again this summer unless it is only the northern areas that are affected. If they get whacked in the Tampa Bay region and further South, it's going to be over for a few years.

At least 2 more cold night to go.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Fillet and release.
    not being in that water since wed am
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,184 Captain
    The 2010 freeze also whacked the jacks and mangrove snapper for a couple of years. Hope they do better this time. We've had a great mangrove fishery for the past couple of years that many people have been missing out on. We lost a couple of year classes during the 2010 freeze but they came back strong.

The only good thing that may come out of this freeze it that it should get rid of the lionfish that have been moving closer inshore each summer.
    dogs brought me up a couple small snapper this morning
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,165 Officer
    Did you notice the water temperature?
  • ocalaocala Posts: 138 Deckhand
    That's not a good sight. Especially with 2 more nights of cold weather.
    :(
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,543 Captain
    Community fish fry. But................. the law won't let you. Some laws don't make sense. They should have waivers in special cases.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Did you notice the water temperature?
    not today, yesterday 8-10 miles out was 49 surface temp when it was sleeting.
    conchydong wrote: »
    Community fish fry. But................. the law won't let you. Some laws don't make sense. They should have waivers in special cases.
    I can clean up the dead ones that float up on my shore/seawall, will be busy with that for several days, snook, cats, mangos, mullet, took a boat ride this afternoon, from my house east, didn't see any dead trout or reds but plenty of snook/catfish/ladyfish up in the old brackish water creeks.
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 415 Deckhand
    They are going to shut down snook again this summer unless it is only the northern areas that are affected. If they get whacked in the Tampa Bay region and further South, it's going to be over for a few years.

At least 2 more cold night to go.

Saw a news clip of a guy on a canal in Hudson with jacks, pinfish, and some other fish that looked like cats floating belly up and more swimming in circles.
  • nicknick Posts: 4,469 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I can clean up the dead ones that float up on my shore/seawall, will be busy with that for several days, snook, cats, mangos, mullet, took a boat ride this afternoon, from my house east, didn't see any dead trout or reds but plenty of snook/catfish/ladyfish up in the old brackish water creeks.

Selling them to crackers?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,826 Captain
    The snook might have died but the reds and trout were eating good this weekend. Saw a few dead mangroves and catfish but that was it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file