Why so many boats with radar?

TheDude727TheDude727 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
In my process of trying to buy a new to me used boat, I'm seeing a lot of boats that have radar. Some of these boats are even 25' Center Console's. I understand that radar can be a life saver for collision avoidance but is there something else that people are using it for? I've never had a boat with radar but I'm guessing that it is primarily used if you want to anchor up somewhere and sleep on the boat and then it would sound an alarm to wake you if something came within a certain range. Is this the main use or are there other things the radar can be used for? I'm just surprised at how many boats have it and it seems like they're all raising their price because of it and I cant see any use for it for me. Thank you.

Replies

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,130 Officer
    East coast looking for birds.
    West coast stealing other boat's hot spot.
    Both coast collision avoidance.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,580 Admiral
    Better to ping you with!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 925 Officer
    East coast looking for birds.
    West coast stealing other boat's hot spot.
    Both coast collision avoidance.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,182 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Better to ping you with!

This!
    It`s amazing how many spin-up as they are running by you offshore then shut off a minute or two later............
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 787 Officer
    FOG!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Thunder storms. You can track them and see if there is a way around them. Sirius weather is worth it as you can see storms coming from the land out.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 246 Deckhand
    In sea fog you can find channel markers and other boats.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,285 Admiral
    FOG!
    This^^, blows my mind how many sporties running WOT in zero visibility.

Idiots, all of them..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 965 Officer
    I feel like you no need for it. If its old technology its even worth asking for a discount to get rid of it. One time in my 40 years of boating the fog got so thick I couldnt see the bow of my boat while heading back into the inlet. I turned my spot light on, blew my horn constantly and entered the inlet using my GPS backtrac. I wished I had radar for about 30 m inutes.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    Thunder storms. You can track them and see if there is a way around them. Sirius weather is worth it as you can see storms coming from the land out.

This is probably most useful. Collison avoidance is iffy to me. I have a 12kw radar and it will pick up pretty small boats at a distance. But most radars have a blind spot for close in targets. If you can't see it in front of you, best to slow down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file