Snook at the bridges

When is the best time to fish around the Roosevelt and the ten cent bridge for snook ? Not interested in the season we don’t want to keep any just want to try to catch some

Replies

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 803 Officer
    Soon as it gets dark. Later in the evening is better due to less boat traffic. My son fished the A1A bridge in Jupiter last nite had 3 nice Snook and jumped a nice Tarpon in the shadow line.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    DOA Shrimp best?
  • 220BAHIA220BAHIA Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Is this the best time of year to fish the bridges. I’ve seen the fishing shows when they are fishing during the day but it doesn’t say what time of year
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 644 Officer
    I don't fish up there but given what I know about snook and bridges down here I'd assume they hold fish year round. I'm sure certain times of year are better than others but there are going to be at least some snook always. Fishing during low light times of the day is def a better bet but a lot of times during the day you can just add some weight and find em on the bottom. Again, I don't fish up there but I'd be shocked if a big mullet head soaked on the bottom doesn't produce if you sit through a whole tide.
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 931 Officer
    Fish at night with 1oz-2oz feathers, 5.5 DOA Cals on a 1oz jig head, or Bombers. Let the current dictate the weight of lure you decide to use, and be prepared to lose tackle.

I have done well on those bridges during the winter closure.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 766 Officer
    I find the outgoing tide is the best at the Roosevelt and further up the river. Naturally, early morning or evening/night also is good. I haven't seriously fished that area since they went to the inlet to spawn, came up dry the only two times I went that direction. The water quality has finally drastically improved since the hurricane as they slowed pumping down. I'll give you a better report after tomorrow as I'll be prospecting that area most of tomorrow.
  • 220BAHIA220BAHIA Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Thanks for everyone’s advice. Trying to come down from Jacksonville. We have never caught snook and want to give it a try.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,304 Officer
    Yozuri crystal minnow at dark. All year long.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 803 Officer
    Fished the bridges last night, Large live shrimp with no weight at the shadow line was the big winner. Son had 8 to my 4 including a Tarpon Snook. Flair Hawks were a bust. Used small white DOA Cals for mine. A friend did ok with white crappie jigs.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I think hooks in those DOA are junk. So many better art. shrimp out there with quality hardware and much more realistic looking too. Have you seen the Voodoo Shrimp?

I have had success with those and also White Bucktail jigs with a soft plastic on the snook.
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I haven't fished the Roosevelt, but my friend and I did our first trip to the 10 cent back in November at the beginning of an outgoing tide. It was morning, but sun was already up. Water was extremely dirty. He broke off a slot sized snook next to the boat on his second cast. He then landed a 23" flounder. After the flounder was in the box he caught a snook a hair shy of 28". His first two fish were on Live Target swim baits, and the short snook was on a live shrimp under a cork. I tied on a jig to bounce the bottom, and hooked a fish that measured over 43". After landing that fish a ways from the bridge, we went back and didn't get anymore bites. I think as long as you time the tides right, you'll have a window of opportunity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file