Micro Swivel/ Redfish Spoon

HookIHookI Posts: 94 Greenhorn
Picked up a few Redfish spoons from Orvis . Using an 8w . Would like to add a micro Swivel to the tippet. Don’t want to use fresh water Trout size . What would the size match for a Redfish ?

Replies

• mro1mro1 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/micro-hyper-swivel/

My take on it would be that the swivel "test" should equal/exceed the lightest pound test of your leader.
    That said I've never used a swivel on a fly leader.

Mike
  • HookIHookI Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    mro1 wrote: »
    https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/micro-hyper-swivel/

My take on it would be that the swivel "test" should equal/exceed the lightest pound test of your leader.
    That said I've never used a swivel on a fly leader.

Mike

thanks for the speedy reply
    Chuck
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Why do you want to add a swivel ? My suggestion would be to add a flurocarb bite tippet to your leader then tie your fly on with non slip loop knot.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

Stryder wrote: »
    Why do you want to add a swivel ? My suggestion would be to add a flurocarb bite tippet to your leader then tie your fly on with non slip loop knot.

Thanks for the reply , I do exactly how you describe the working end . But I never presented a spoon fly before & after some reading there are a few who do use a swivel for the obvious reasons .

Do use present or use a spoon fly during the season ?

Not to make things confusing but I have used tippet rings before salt & freshwater & had no problem making the catch . Visibility I'm not concerned about but more splash on the offering.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Stryder wrote: »

I cannot speak for flyfishermen but always use ball bearing swivel with spoon because
    of line twisting.Only time,I use swivel all others a double uni and loop knot.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    I've had a few anglers work fly spoons off of my skiff - and they worked quite well... I would never consider using a swivel with one since you don't work them like you would a regular spoon at all - you'll be doing strip and stop, strip and stop - then pick up the spoon fly and re-position it if the fly isn't right in the fish's face... None of this work it continuously all the way back to the boat - so any line twist is kept to a minimum.

At any rate if you do get line twist (and some of my anglers could twist a leader just casting....) simple cut off the fly, make a few long casts and strip the line all the way back to the rod tip -the leader and the line will un-twist in most cases... If the twist in the line is extreme then we simply trail the entire line behind the skiff as we run to our next spot...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 298 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I've had a few anglers work fly spoons off of my skiff - and they worked quite well... I would never consider using a swivel with one since you don't work them like you would a regular spoon at all - you'll be doing strip and stop, strip and stop - then pick up the spoon fly and re-position it if the fly isn't right in the fish's face... None of this work it continuously all the way back to the boat - so any line twist is kept to a minimum.

At any rate if you do get line twist (and some of my anglers could twist a leader just casting....) simple cut off the fly, make a few long casts and strip the line all the way back to the rod tip -the leader and the line will un-twist in most cases... If the twist in the line is extreme then we simply trail the entire line behind the skiff as we run to our next spot...
    Captain,I understand also that's one way to strip off line where the twist occurs but line twist for
    me only occurs with a spoon.Doing it your way keeps my spoon out of the water too much.
    Hi Chuck,
    after you have tried out using swivels please post your impressions how well or not they worked.
    I don’t think I’ll ever need one but doesn’t hurt to know if it works or not.
    Another thought.... if the fish don’t mind you could attach the swivel directly to the fly with a small spilt ring :) which would eliminate one knot in the leader.

Thanks
    Mike
    mro1 wrote: »
    Hi Chuck,
    after you have tried out using swivels please post your impressions how well or not they worked.
    I don’t think I’ll ever need one but doesn’t hurt to know if it works or not.
    Another thought.... if the fish don’t mind you could attach the swivel directly to the fly with a small spilt ring :) which would eliminate one knot in the leader.

Thanks
    Mike

I have used Capt. Mike"s AuqaDream spoons before w/ a spin set up did very well up in Crystal River on Reds they have a swivel in the eye
    already attached. Great point about the attachment to the spoon fly , Kirk's Spoon -Gold & Softy Spoon Fly Copper

Will sure post my results just have to give me a month & few weeks as the new Knee replacement has me down on the DL.

Chuck
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,194 Captain
    I put a swivel on all the spoon flys I tye, they work good without it but better with it. It elimanates pretty much all line twist on any design spoon fly and some designs are god awful about twisting line both in the air and in the water. If you can hear your spoon fly buzzin on the cast , its working you harder than its working the fish. Many of the anglers who fish my spoon flys, also like the Waldner spoon depending the enviorment they'r fishing that day. They all comment on the durability of both patterns.
    I'd forgotten that you can buy "open eye" hooks. These can be attached directly to a swivel.

Mike
    Open eyed hooks, never thought of that. Ill have to check and see if they offer any hooks I might consider suitable.
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Great advice on how to get line twist out of fly line. I always stretch my line before fishing it and about every third trip drag it behind the boat for awhile to get all the twist out of it.
    ..I'm enjoying this thread , learning also

Picked up Raven Ultra Micro Swivel 4xs & xxxs ,both 20 lb rating I'm just a couple of weeks out to give it a try
    I put a swivel on all the spoon flys I tye, they work good without it but better with it. It elimanates pretty much all line twist on any design spoon fly and some designs are god awful about twisting line both in the air and in the water. If you can hear your spoon fly buzzin on the cast , its working you harder than its working the fish. Many of the anglers who fish my spoon flys, also like the Waldner spoon depending the enviorment they'r fishing that day. They all comment on the durability of both patterns.

If your on the sale pm me I'll support the forum posters
    shadowalker : it was great talking to you yesterday as you explained the dynamics of your spoon fly . I did forget to ask if you if you had a name for them ? The order is in & will be waiting for the mail . I'm having a chance this Christmas week & looking forward to using them
    Thank you very much again sir Chuck

Received them in the mail , beautiful work , very impressive can't wait to try them . Thanks
    Thank you and good luck. I hope they fit your fly choice mix for many years.
    So..............

Any pictures????????

:)

Mike
    Quality reel repair on face book
    Red thread # 1
    Green thread # 2
    Very nice.
    This winter I may make one or two.

Thanks,
    Mike
    This work is beyond my ability.
  • Black ClouserBlack Clouser Posts: 92 Deckhand
    HookI, I fish a lot of spoons (Dupre, Waldner and my own) in the flood grass and never use a swivel just a loop knot. When you fish a spoon fly you want it to just barely wobble and not spin at all.....in my opinion no need for a swivel.
    BC
    I send all my spoons with a swivel attached and let the customer decide for themselves. They work well either way, but the option affords different actions. I've thrown a Dupre spoon and have a couple Waldner's in my own fly box, haven't fished them much but really like his work.
    Got out yesterday cold water , wind , the fish were very spooky , no takers , Moon tides are not great this week but it’s what it is for us this week .
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    I have been using some of shadowwalker’s spoons for a couple of months now and they are excellent. They flutter very nicely on a pick-up-and-drop retrieve and cast well. Never had an issue with twist, with or without the swivel he provides.
    Here's my first try at "spoon flys"

Found a lure called a WOB-L-RITE out in the garage in a box of stuff just to good to throw away but just not anything I've thought about using.  :)

The two large ones are on 2/0 mustads, the one in back is on a  #14 nymph hook.

Not being one to leave good enough alone.......... here's an articulated version of the spoon fly.

I might try a better suited hook and tail and need some improvement on the coloring.
    But before I do anymore I need to check em out in the water to see how well or not the engineering of the  wob-l-rite works for a spoon fly.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,211 Captain
    No idea how I missed this, but I've been using Shadowwalkers spoons for over a decade, and they're the only flies in my box tied by someone other than myself. I'm not sure if the swivel makes a huge difference, but his spoon is in a class by itself. He does it right, slow cure epoxy, no uv cure garbage. They're pretty much indestructible.
    uv cure....
    I know even less about uv cure than spoon flies.
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file