Spur of the moment trip. Help!

I'm going to take off Tuesday morning from south Alabama. I'm bringing my solo skiff to do some fishing and camping for a few days. Would Goodland be the best and closest place to put in and be close to camping NOT in the ENP? Need to leave the truck too. Inside or outside? Or both? I'd like to camp and be able to shark fish at night, so any advice on camping spots? I fish a lot on the flats of the big bend so I think ill be ok with the trout and such but I've never caught a Snook or permit. Ive got the top spot maps, GPS, and radio. Thermacells, deet too. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

Stan

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 862 Officer
    Launch and leave your truck Port of Islands marina. Easy run down to Tiger Key, camp on its NE point, mid week should be empty, lots of blown down for firewood. Easy cast into Dismal Pass from the shore for soaking baits for sharks. Snook inside,fish low and slow,dark colored jigs. Not permit time in the 10k but their tastier cousins pompano are around on the flats out front. Have a blast,post a report and Merry Christmas!
  • Bama StanBama Stan Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks a lot Bobber. Isn't Tiger key inside ENP? was trying to avoid getting permits. I'll be sure to post a report.
    Too much eggnog too early, I meant to say White Horse key, which is not in the park. Tiger is, but no permit needed currently post Irma, park beach sites north of Broad river are first come,first served without a permit until further notice.
    Good deal. Thank you.
  • MercuryproteamMercuryproteam Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Bobber wrote: »
    Too much eggnog too early, I meant to say White Horse key, which is not in the park. Tiger is, but no permit needed currently post Irma, park beach sites north of Broad river are first come,first served without a permit until further notice.

Just FYI on the Parks website
    Permits are now required for ALL backcountry campsites. Permits may obtained from either the Gulf Coast Visitor Contact Station or the Flamingo Visitor Center prior to backcountry camping. All sites marked red with a slash are closed.
    Thanks for that update,haven't been on their site recently.

Bureaucracy returns to normal.....
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Panther Key, Hog Key, Whitehorse Key, Gullivan Key

All are an easy ride on a solo skiff from Port of the Islands.

And all will produce plenty of Sharks with cut Ladyfish or Bluefish. Especially the sand spits on Whitehorse and Gullivan.
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
    Chatting with a ranger yesterday after the usual boat check,he confirmed that indeed you must now pull a permit in person from the office trailer located at the GCVC. Still no charge,for now.
    He didn't know when the backcountry sites might reopen but the tourist boats have been certified to resume their tourist runs down IKP next week, shows where the parks priorities are.

Btw, the park rangers are very active now,I got checked at the R&G ramp before I launched!
    And again in West Pass. Make sure your safety gear is complete.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    great report and replys
  • CataholicCataholic Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Panther Key, Hog Key, Whitehorse Key, Gullivan Key

All are an easy ride on a solo skiff from Port of the Islands.

And all will produce plenty of Sharks with cut Ladyfish or Bluefish. Especially the sand spits on Whitehorse and Gullivan.

Those are all an easy run out of Goodland as well. You can put in at Goodland Boat Park.....
    The view from here...

ATcvO3Pt.jpg
    Thanks everybody for the help and advice. I didn't catch a whole lot of fish but had a great time. I camped on white horse key. After two trips from poi to get all my junk. Not a soul there when I pulled up. Before the tent was up there were 20 people standing around me lol. Tourist doing the sunset, beach combing thing. Riding on the little two seater pontoon looking things. A lot of the guides bring their customers here for good reason. Beautiful views. After everyone left I put out a line with a half a ladyfish. Didn't take long and I was hooked up. Lost the first few then landed a seven foot bull. Then a couple smaller blacktips then two more six-seven footers. Winds started to pick up and I called it a night about 10. About midnight I woke up to the side of my ten beating me in the head. Wind was wip'n it. Not much sleep. Got up the next morning and move camp back into the mangroves for shelter. As soon as I got the new spot set up, a couple arrived and set up on the point. There were two to four tents there the rest of the trip. So I kinda lost my shark spot. Spent the next couple days chasing schools of ladyfish, Spanish and blues out front. All caught and released. I diet have a big bullshark grab a ladyfish and take me fore a ride. Caught some big mullet one evening and fried them up with some cornbread and cornbeef hash. Didn't fish inside because the solo skiff blew around like a leaf on the water and I didn't want to anchor every time I stopped. I learned a few things and will be back the end of February with my Blazer bay and the solo. Thanks again guys!
  • MercuryproteamMercuryproteam Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    How were the skeeters. We will be down there next week.
    Not bad at all. But prepare for the worst lol.
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 623 Officer
    Bama Stan wrote: »
    As soon as I got the new spot set up, a couple arrived and set up on the point. There were two to four tents there the rest of the trip. So I kinda lost my shark spot.

It is probably better that you moved. They would have set their tents up within 3' of yours anyways..I've had it happen many times there.

Sound like a great trip!
  • CataholicCataholic Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Nice report, thanks for posting. Also nice to see one of my favorite spots as I sit here in 10 degree weather up in Kentucky...
    The view from here...

ATcvO3Pt.jpg
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 508 Officer
    Great report!!
    Jason :USA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file