Final 2017 Grouper Run

Got out today, chilly going out but really calm. Caught a lot of shorts at every spot bottom fishing, nothing trolling, but had a great time trying. Lots of boats out, I spoke with some fellows at the marina who had 6 big gags but had to go to 65' to get them. Stayed calm the entire day and warmed up nicely, a great ride in at sunset. The forecast for the coming week looks dismal and I thought about the the final chapter in Carl Sagan's book Cosmos talking about the "last perfect day on earth". For me this was the last perfect day on the water for this year.

Stay warm and Happy New Year Y'all!

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,346 Captain
    Yep, next week is going to be a cold one & the week after not much better.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 955 Officer
    We were out there also. Instead of fishing 35-40ft, we ran to 60' and still caught 22" gags and 17" reds. Did catch some really big rock bass.

We came in a little after sunset.

1f9e1635608e72b49cbae1a934a37231.jpg
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,346 Captain
    A nice picture, looks like it was a fair weather day for fishing.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,869 Captain
    :beer
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,772 Captain
    That photo!
    Graduations on fat Sea Bass!
    God, save the South!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 1,857 Captain
    The full moon really seems to kill the grouper bite. We fished yesterday also, and had to work hard for 2 nice keepers. Lost of shorts and big ars. We fished shallower (25-40') because last time we fished deeper, we couldn't get baits past the endangered red snapper. We also got into some big ol knot head bsb in 25' on a rock pile. As usual we got a bunch that were just clamped on to the soft plastic and not hooked. Still a great day to be on the water
    You should have been here yesterday
  • bbbbbb Posts: 955 Officer
    We also got into some big ol knot head bsb in 25' on a rock pile. As usual we got a bunch that were just clamped on to the soft plastic and not hooked.

After stealing our baits, we had them grabbing our 4oz weights and holding onto them until they got about 10ft from the boat. Crazy how hungry those things must be.

This was my 1st Fall fishing offshore.
    Are those 20-23" grouper gonna be in the same places come Spring and will they have grown into legal size fish?
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 667 Officer
    bbb wrote: »
    After stealing our baits, we had them grabbing our 4oz weights and holding onto them until they got about 10ft from the boat. Crazy how hungry those things must be.

This was my 1st Fall fishing offshore.
    Are those 20-23" grouper gonna be in the same places come Spring and will they have grown into legal size fish?

It never seems to work that way for me, I expect lots of shorts at the same places every year. I don't know enough about the gag grouper's life cycle to explain the lack of legal size fish when there seems to be plenty of undersized being caught.
    In years past (the time of LORAN and paper bottom charts) when you could fish in January and February we found most of our current fishing spots trolling stretch 30's that seemed to catch bigger grouper and there were no size or bag limits, miss fishing offshore on those bluebird days of January and February.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,094 Admiral
    Nice going guys!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,869 Captain
    BayBob wrote: »
    It never seems to work that way for me, I expect lots of shorts at the same places every year. I don't know enough about the gag grouper's life cycle to explain the lack of legal size fish when there seems to be plenty of undersized being caught.
    In years past (the time of LORAN and paper bottom charts) when you could fish in January and February we found most of our current fishing spots trolling stretch 30's that seemed to catch bigger grouper and there were no size or bag limits, miss fishing offshore on those bluebird days of January and February.

X2 well don't miss the paper charts but the Loran was OK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file