12/26/2017 - Almost Like the Old Days Offshore Homosassa

Headed out on Wednesday with Kyle and my new neighbor Randy for one final shot at gags. We got 5 keepers running around the rock piles in 35 ft a week ago after giving up on the deeper spots that only seemed to be holding shorts. But Kyle and I had always done well on large gags fishing the 50-55 ft areas in December before the red tide, so we wanted to it one more try. There isn't that much structure out there, but lots of flat swiss cheese bottom. In the old days, we would just move around looking for stacks of fish and then set up on them. Recently, these stacks have been red snapper, but sometimes gags will be with them. By using huge pieces of cut bait we hoped that we could avoid the snapper.

The first area in 55' had several good shows that were obviously snapper, but with some larger fish under them. As expected, we started out with lots of snappers:

They are getting really big out there and were not discouraged by the large baits. That last one was pushing 10 lb. All were released of course.

The big gags finally showed up and we put 3 in the boat before the wind shifted and it started to get snotty. So we moved into 42 ft and filled out our 3 man limit before heading back at 2:00.

It's really encouraging to see the bigger girls back where they are supposed to be after the red tide. Maybe I won't sell my offshore boat after all. :cool:

Replies

• lbudlbud Posts: 984 Officer
    good job! Great to hear now that the seasons closing..
    :fishing
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • :fishing
    Nice fishing
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,407 Officer
    great day and good news :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Excellent job :thumbsup
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,163 Moderator
    Nice ones Doc !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,614 Captain

Maybe I won't sell my offshore boat after all. :cool:

One trip changed your mind? :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,114 Officer
    Good going Doc and company.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 886 Officer
    Great fish guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 779 Officer
    wow, those are some big ones,
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,779 Captain
    Nice to see your trip out paid off. Nothing like that old grouper tug. Those snapper are getting fat from all the grouper baits. Keep feeding them. Maybe one day you'll be allowed to eat one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,517 Captain
    That's a good way to end the year......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file