fly storage options

smctroutsmctrout Posts: 35 Deckhand
I am primarily a freshwater trout fisherman, and I use a lot of small flies, which I store in numerous small boxes that will fit in vests and packs. I have several boxes of saltwater flies, but I don't need to keep them in a vest or pack. Usually the boxes are in my boat bag, which means I have to search through boxes when trying to find the magic fly for the day. Do you experienced saltwater fly fisherman use smaller (8 inches or less on the longest dimension) or bigger boxes (in excess of 8" on the longest dimension)? I have a very large (attache-case sized) box that I use for my freshwater streamers, and I'm considering getting another one for all of my saltwater flies. Any advice you old salts would care to share?

Replies

• shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,192 Captain
    Plano box 2" X 8.5" X 14" , 1/4" close cell foam liner in bottom, 1" slits, 1" apart staggered rows length of the box. Press the hooks in the slits neat organized and wind proof. The 1/2" foam floor mattes work even better. Been doing my boxes this way sents long before it became a thing to do. I have yet to see a better idea.
  • mro1mro1 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    fly storage options

For my 11 and 12/13 wt rods
    My Tarpon flies are stored two ways. One is a 8x4 box for spare flies while my “ready board” is 16x6 very thin piece of wood with a couple pieces of 1/8" thick cork glued on it. On the ends are 1/4" long slots. The ready board holds a dozen flies tied with a shock tippet and the 20# leader I use with a loop in it. The slots in the ends of the board hold the 20# leader which the loop knot keeps it from sliding through the slot. Then it’s wound loosely and the hook is then stuck into the cork. With this I can change a fly in seconds...........have the lightest part of my leader replaced and an undamaged shock tippet too.

This works really cool if you like loops in your leader....which I do not so I just cut off the loop and tie the 20# on with a blood knot. It only takes a couple minuets. :)

Then there’s a 8x4 box for bones, another for deceivers, one for top water flies and one more for secret weapon flies. All my stuff fits into one of those nifty small back packs with all the pockets etc.

Mike
  • smctroutsmctrout Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Plano box 2" X 8.5" X 14" , 1/4" close cell foam liner in bottom, 1" slits, 1" apart staggered rows length of the box. Press the hooks in the slits neat organized and wind proof. The 1/2" foam floor mattes work even better. Been doing my boxes this way sents long before it became a thing to do. I have yet to see a better idea.

Shadowwalker,

Would you give me the Plano series number? Perhaps 3700?

Thanks
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,192 Captain
    smctrout wrote: »
    Shadowwalker,

Would you give me the Plano series number? Perhaps 3700?

Thanks
    Actually one size down from the 3700, and I forgot to mention that i use a soldering iron to cut the dividers out of the box. Craft shops like Joann's carry flat undivided boxes and sheet foam may want to take a look their too.
  • idlerickidlerick Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Google "Plano waterproof boxes". Amazon, BPS, others sell them. They're nice, sturdy boxes and keep the S/W out in the event of spray or a wet floor. Pick a size that's compatible with the flies you carry.

As to making them easily available without digging, I've found a patch of sturdy closed-cell foam about 8 x 4 x 1/2" Velcroed to the inside of my boat makes it easy to change flies. I load the patch with candidates the night before and then just pick them off as I want to use them. Used ones go back or get stowed if they're chewed on. Pinching the barbs down makes the foam last longer.
    At the end of the day, I hose the patch and flies down with fresh water along with the rest of the boat and let them dry on the trip home, where I can peel off the patch and add to or change flies for the next trip.
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file