Trout fishing EC area

East coaster taking kids to Everglades City to find some trout. I have fished off Highland Beach for trout and done well but don't want to run that far if I don't have to, any general areas to try closer to EC?

Thanks,
There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 862 Officer
    The grass flats north of Pavillion Key are always a good bet.As are the many cuts and passes leading to the Gulf when the current is flowing.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 244 Deckhand
    South of Goodland,almost all areas with 4-6 ft.of moving water will hold trout.
    However you may have to move around,lots of undersize trout.Go to rig,past
    week,1/8oz jig,white tail,bit of shrimp.
  • MegalopsAtlanticusMegalopsAtlanticus Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Little Pavilion

Rabbit Key

Comer Key

Jewel Key
    "Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
    Out yesterday with my son & his frat brother, trout in all the cuts and passes North of West Pass,undersized on the outside with slot holding more to the inside. Awesomeness of the day was a 5' shark taking a hooked trout boatside as it was being led to the net,talk about pissin our pants! Sure made a nice drag zing until the leader parted.
  • MercuryproteamMercuryproteam Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Where is West pass in relation to Chokoloskee.
    First major pass to the NW of Indian Key Pass, runs between Tiger and Lulu Keys. Northern boundary of the park. Well known to Choko launchers cause there ain't no fish beyond it.....
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    Along with the advice already given... this time of year look for birds in those areas as well since, if there's bait present the birds will show it (and the trout will be right in the bait..). Yesterday, way to the south near the Shark River we ran into more birds in one spot than I have seen in years (at a glance it looked like nearly 200 pelicans and they were only one third of all the birds sitting on an area maybe 200 yards by 400 yards total. Since we already had white bait on board I set up nearby while my anglers grabbed light rods with small leadheads and Gulp tails -then went to work. In short order we had two limits on board -many fat pre-spawn fish nearing 20"... while the white baits got ignored.... Funny thing, it was right at the high tide. When the tide turned all of the birds simply disappeared while we continued to catch fish after the great mass of bait fish dispersed... We managed a nice 30" snook on one of the white baits before we left that area...

Like I said, this time of year keep an eye out for birds (diving, sitting, or just working over an area...). Good luck and post up how your trip goes since locals are a bit shy.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file