So I gotta share this with y'all. Long read

So you can tell me how much I messed up like everyone else :grin

So, I took off last Friday to hunt the rut. Me and Bottomtime went to a property we have the pleasure to hunt. My dad also took off to hunt at the house. Now keep in mind he is rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery...

I met Travis and we started the walk to our stands. he turned off at his and I kept going on past him to mine. Nice cold, wet morning, we were in covered stands. at 7:20a I get a text from my dad saying "just shot a big 5 pt and can't load it." My first thought was dadgum, it's just breaking light good in the woods and he's already needing help and it's looking like a deery morning for me. A few minutes go by and then a huge smile is on my face. I thought, if it wasn't for may dad I wouldn't be in this tree doing what I have learned to love so much.

I sent him a text telling him to keep hunting because I would have to pass by Travis to get out. I told Travis what was going on and we had planned to hunt at least until 10a. At 9:00 Travis texts me saying he's getting down at 9:30 and asked if we needed help. He only got down early because of my dad needed help and Travis had things to do so I declined on the help but appreciated the offer. I got down and slowly hunted my way back to where he was and we made the walk out. I get to dad at 10. he had drug the deer about 40 yds and had to quit. I drug it out of the plot and loaded it in his truck and we headed to the cooler to gut and hang. While there we went ahead and skinned, deboned and cleaned up all of the meat so it could be turned into burger/cube the next day.

I'm so grateful to be able to repay my dad by doing for him when he can't for all that he has taught me in and about the woods since I was 6. Great morning for sure.

165# 5 pt

25188409708_1fb1e4637b_k.jpg by ,

Now, here's the part where you can tell me I'm crazy.

Between school, finals and work neither girl has hunted with me this year yet. Jaden called me at 12:30 and said she wanted to go hunting after her final and she would be home by 2:30-2:45p. It was such a cold nasty day, keep in mind deer were being killed all around chasing I decided to get in the stand at the house at 12:45 and wait for Jaden to get there. I rarely hunt at the house, I save it for the girls and my dad. Not seeing anything so far I look up and the first thing I see is a rack/deer walking nose to the ground straight to me on the edge of the plot about 70 yds out :hairraiser

I grab my gun and as soon as I get the deer in site he lifts his head and turns to his left out of the plot and out of sight. I saw just enough to tell he was a perfect big 10 pt. It was 2:05. Knowing Jaden should be there soon I was hoping he'd come back before dark for her. Well, he did at 2:25. He walked back out from where he went in and walked out in the plot standing broadside at 50.... I got the gun on him and got a really good look, 18"+ wide, 8-9" 2,3's 4-5" 4's long main beams...... 200lb deer easy. He stood there for 3-4 minutes just looking around and I wore my safety out going from fire to safe. Then, he walked away from me. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot it knowing Jaden was on her way and she was excited about getting to hunt. Dad has been seeing does every afternoon So I had hopes he'd return and you know the drill, he didn't.

Jaden got there 15 minutes after he left. I told her the story and she said "WHY DIDN"T YOU SHOOT IT?!?!?" We ended up seeing 3 does and a yearling. She had to work Saturday and I hunted all but 1 hour and he didn't return.... Pretty sure it would have been the biggest deer I would have ever killed if not a very close second. It is now known if I hunt at the house again I will not pass a buck like that again.......

I got home right at dark yesterday and Jaden was in the stand by herself. She saw a spike and some does.

Now go ahead, tell me how crazy I am :crying
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,746 Captain
    Crazy sure, but you got to give for family. Not sure if I could be that good or not.

You have my respect.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,772 Captain
    Respect. Exactly!

You're a good dad Micci.
    Hope you will get that 2nd chase.
    God, save the South!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,274 Admiral
    Good deal!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,933 Captain
    I'd like to tell myself that I would have done the same thing.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,502 Captain
    What will really get you pissed is if you find out he got run over on the highway.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,838 Captain
    :beer You would have never been happy about that kill.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,372 Admiral
    Just putting it in the bank for later man. Crazy? Ehh. You had him, safety off, at 50 yards. I've known buddies to do that before too. Flip off the safety, whisper "bang" and watch him walk off. When one of the girls pops him you'll have a much wider smile than if you'd shot him yourself.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    that's what I would've done..you know hes there..maybe she will still have the chance
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    She's out of school and off work tomorrow and she's hunting. Dad is taking off so he can be around, not that he can load it but he will be close by. I'll have a buddy on the plantation be on stand by if she connects with one.

I don't need to hunt back there anymore this year because I won't be able to pass again :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Well yeah, you give that guy one freebie...next time he goes in the cooler! I bet she gets him in the morning.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 610 Officer
    Great story Micci. Your daughters are lucky to have a father like you. I hope karma comes around and your daughter gets that one and you get a big one you haven't seen yet.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,835 Captain
    Congrats to pops, I used to could throw em over my shoulders and walk out, now I get help to drag em out.

As far as the other one goes, I'd be postin pics of him all over the internet,,,,,,,,,,,,just kiddin, that is a personal decision, and one well made my friend.
    If he is walking middle of the day, that is when the girls need to hunt him.
    F the feds
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,755 Captain
    I think that Slough, Soda Popinski and dieselbeef have it pegged correctly. You're a family man, and the kids always come first! But yes, I do think that you are a little crazy! Why would anyone spend the energy to drag a dang deer out of the woods when they can buy grain-fed Black Angus at Publix? :grin
    Come on Woods.... I buy that same beef but it doesn't have the same therapy as time in the woods does. You know what I mean.

Bodine- Some big ones have been killed around here in the last 2 weeks. Be there when you can is where it is at right now!
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,835 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    Bodine- Some big ones have been killed around here in the last 2 weeks. Be there when you can is where it is at right now!

Have not gone once yet, might sit Sat morning for a bit, then look around, still too early for my place.
    F the feds
    The beauty of it is I get to hunt another rut just NW of you. Same period as you. Christmas on. But, it''s on here.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,094 Admiral
    Post the pics when she shoots it. love for our families is all we need, good choice tommy.
    It is on up here. Son got an 8pt Wednesday last week. Lots of good bucks killed in the last week around here.
    Slough wrote: »
    It is on up here. Son got an 8pt Wednesday last week. Lots of good bucks killed in the last week around here.

Good deal! :beer
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain

This, hope he shows for your girl!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,100 Captain
    I'd like to think I could but not so sure. Sounds like you passed what is likely a 130-140" deer!

Hopefully you'll have good karma for it. I haven't been able to hunt like I really want this year but have been getting lots of stand time with my son. We sat middle GA and he got to watch a 120" 8pt feed for a while. Saw 14 and I think that's the most excited I've ever seen him. And, since I forgot the binos, he was telling me he was practicing putting the cross hairs on them. Hopefully next year I'll have him in shape to be a shooter. That 8 would have been in trouble if he could have (and been closer than 200 yards)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    Nice play micci. What goes around comes around, it is not an if it is a when. I am sure you will be rewarded...... post the picture of your smile when your daughter or dad bangs that big boy.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

• Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 452 Deckhand

I have to agreed here completely- you did right -
    and she knows what you did was for her..
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,569 Captain
    A smile and an "I love you daddy" will cover that little sting of not taking the shot. Good on ya, brother. I'd have had to show the picture of him to my sons. LOL
    Proverbs 13:3
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I passed on a good 8 last weekend. All I could think of was that next year it would be a really good buck for the boys.
    Nice one killed in NE Mitchell County yesterday.

27398849829_0552ec782b.jpg
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,772 Captain
    That one could pull a sleigh!
    God, save the South!
    Nice one killed in NE Mitchell County yesterday.

27398849829_0552ec782b.jpg

Wow.... A friend killed one like that but more mass over Thanksgiving weekend about 6 miles from my house and then killed a huge 10 last Friday at the same place.

for the record, I would have not passed this deer up!!!
    I convinced the wife that next weekend, instead of going south to try and see my daughter (who will be here this weekend anyway) that since she's never seen our hunting property, and the season closes 1/1 we should run up for one more hunt.

Gonna leave at 1030pm, get up there right around 530am, get a full day hunt in and then Saturday morning we'll hunt until we come back that afternoon.

I'd given up on the season but looks like we'll get one last shot at redemption. Hopefull they're still walkin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file