.222 for hogs?

SSN651SSN651 Posts: 79 Greenhorn
I plan on getting a few meat hogs over the winter. I have a Sako .222 (50gr soft nose) that I would like to use, I'm thinking it will be plenty but would like a few opinions. I'll be going for head shots. I also have an M1A (7.62X51 or .308) that I can use but that might just make a mess of things.

Chuck :grin

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,687 Captain
    I shoot a ton in the off season with a 22 mag. So, yeah..
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,292 Officer
    AllenR wrote: »
    I shoot a ton in the off season with a 22 mag. So, yeah..

I agree.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,755 Captain
    Allen and Spooiin have it covered accurately. It will all come down to well placed shot placement. Personally I like double-lung shots, but bustin' 'em in the head is possibly better, tho IMO the error of shot placement in head shots is a little greater. Punch a hole through both lungs, and ain't nuthin' going far----can't breath, can't run!

I haven't busted anything we have from squirrels to bears over the last 40+ years except with Southern Mountain Flintlock Rifles. My little .32cal rifle will terminate a 150+ pound hog consistently with a 49gr patched round ball.
  • deepdroperdeepdroper Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    SSN651 wrote: »
    I plan on getting a few meat hogs over the winter. I have a Sako .222 (50gr soft nose) that I would like to use, I'm thinking it will be plenty but would like a few opinions. I'll be going for head shots. I also have an M1A (7.62X51 or .308) that I can use but that might just make a mess of things.

No, .222 is not the way to go on hogs. Use 9mm handgun instead, but don't make a shot closer than 40 yards.... Just make "good placement shot" from that distance, and a hog will drop like a rock!!! Who needs .308 or AR 10/15 for hunting hogs, be real hunter, man, use something more "challenging"/"better shot placement" tool...
    Me personally, killed tons of hogs with all kind of "tools", but I like mine AR 10 best for it... :wink
  • HuntnfeeshHuntnfeesh Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Minimum .416 Rigby.... Dangerous game!

But for real, you'll do fine with .222 but a .308 is by no means overkill either. I've killed hundreds with a .22 mag, but I'm not passing them up with my "big" rifles either.
  • SSN651SSN651 Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll have to use an ice pick to get to deepdroper's level though...

You serve in the Queenfish Chuck? If so, you're close to my age!
    80-83. Man I'm old now, ustafish!

Chuck:grin
    The Command that I was in helped detail some of the Boat's deployment areas. Suspect you may be "experienced" with an "icepick" considering your deployment areas :grin
    Gets cold off the Kamchatka peninsula... and inside the P harbor... The BQS-14 was useful in some situations.

:wink NAVINTCOM,FICPAC----
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I dropped one of my first pigs with a 55grain soft point in the ear from my ar15. Having owned a 222 I can say that they’re more acute than my little Carbine. Under 50 yards it’s lights out
    NAVINTCOM,FICPAC----

Now I know who to blame... :banghead . Why not a specop off Aruba or Montserrat? :grin

I can say no more :nono!
    :grin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file