FLAMINGO REPORTS - SUMMER '17

Replies

• pk911pk911 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Bad link
  • SpoolinSpoolin Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Maybe you have to be friends with them, ask if they can make the video public.
  • Rebait2003Rebait2003 Posts: 111 Deckhand
    pk911 wrote: »
    Bad link

I fixed the link. it should work now!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,691 Captain
    GOOD NEWS... the Park's waters are not closed until the Park re-opens... here's what I posted over on the 10K board...

Big surprise.... Just came from the Park's website where they've posted a bit of info about the cleanup, etc. Unlike previous closures - the Park is NOT closing Park waters this time... Here's what they've had to say...

Everglades National Park – CLOSED

"While the park remains closed, airboat concessions will begin operating and marine waters are open with a Notice to Mariners posted.
    Park maritime waters are open for access, including to commercial permit holders, with a mariners advisory to exercise caution."

This is very good news since folks will actually be able to "run south" from Choko or Everglades City while the Park, itself is still closed for repairs, etc. Pass the word along to anyone interested.... Yes, it's a long haul back towards the Shark river and points north from Chokoloskee - but it is do-able.... In the past when the Park was closed they locked us out of the Park's waters as well - this a very welcome development....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • NickNutNickNut Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Below is a link I found to a Flickr (image hosting) site maintained by Eastern IMT (Incident Management Team). These guys are responsible for the clean up post-Irma, and they've taken quite a few pics of what they're seeing. Initial Pics are of the Gulf Coast Visitor center, but if you keep scrolling down, you'll get to the pics from Flamingo. Honestly, it doesn't look 'too' bad, all things considered. I'm anxious to see what western WW bay looks like though.

Anyway, for those interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nps_eimt/sets/72157686555161854
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Running across the bay tomorrow to recon. Will let you know what I find.
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
  • gladesrunnergladesrunner Posts: 105 Officer
    Please let us know Capt, Thanks!!
  • JWTJWT Posts: 296 Deckhand
    thanks for all the info & pics! looks like they are working hard to get things cleared up. buy those guys a beer!!
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Got a chance to run over to Flamingo yesterday from the Upper Keys. Water looked pretty good in Florida Bay but the marina got beat up pretty good.

Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
    thanks for the pics......reminds me of Wilma. That mud hung around the parking lots for a long time. How did the islands look?
  • SeapromptSeaprompt Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the pics...did the houseboats make it?
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,806 Captain
    Seaprompt wrote: »
    Thanks for the pics...did the houseboats make it?

Reports indicate that the houseboats are all in bad shape, mechanically unsound, and heavily listing to one side.

No reports since the hurricane, though.
    Point taken - the current generation of houseboats being rented out by the concessionaire at the Flamingo marina aren't much to recommend at all. I'll have to ask Jason if he saw any of them when he made it to Flamingo from Key Largo a few days ago...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 148 Officer
    Bob, heard a second hand report from reliable friend, Rusty Albury, in Islamorada, who said a local boy told him the Cape was covered with dead snook, trout and baby tarpon. Theory is water blew out of lake Ingram so fast fish got stranded. Any body else been around the Cape?
    Will be watching to see if anyone makes it that far (probably someone from the Keys...). I've run from Choko to the Shark river, going straight across - and that was 35 miles -one way.... Did see a report that Port of the Islands will have its restaurant up and running tomorrow and their rooms in a week....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • NickNutNickNut Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Oh man, the word on the houseboats has me close to tears. I guess we'll be out front this year on the chickees and maybe little rabbit. I really hope they get the houseboats back up and running. Those trips will vividly stay with me for the rest of my life.
    Way back before hurricane Wilma the houseboats were good sized and very popular (fishing clubs would rent two to four and raft them up together for a weekend's outing among other uses..). All of them were destroyed by Wilma (some genius thought it would be a good idea to keep them in the marina during the storm and with a six foot storm surge they ended up on top of the pilings and just got battered to death..). The next concessionaire (remember rentals of canoes, kayaks, motor skiffs and houseboats are all a concession proposition - not owned by the Park at all....) brought in houseboats that never were much to speak of. As I write this I have no idea how they've fared with Irma. I guess we'll find out - who knows?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • captain splashcaptain splash Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I got a notice that the road to Flamingo is open now 24/7. The campground is still closed. Does anyone know if it's OK or if we would be bothered if we sleep over night in our vehicle (or camper) in the parking lot?
    Yes, we’re allowed to fish out of Flamingo again (I did on Tuesday) but that area is closed and barricaded off each night at 7pm -then re-opens at 7am each morning. If you try to go early you’ll be stopped at the barricades until Park employees open it at 7am each day...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 427 Officer
    Bob, I think he's saying that he received notice that you can now drive all the way down and launch at Flamingo at any time. No longer between 7am to 7pm.
    That would be nice -it gets a bit old getting caught by the barricade and having to wait until they open up at 7....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    confirmed, road now open 24x7.......fished the fall out front in the AM on Sunday looking for reds and got blanked:banghead Lots of mullet everywhere we fished/poled and the amount of bird-life was amazing. Picked up and launched out back......water levels are real high everywhere and very tannin stained. Managed 4 snook to 25", 1 slot red and 1 trout. Not much bait back there, but we stayed east of Midway Keys.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 859 Officer
    Partial Closures Remain in Effect (11/2/17 Update)
    Shark Valley, Gulf Coast, all campsites & some trails are closed. The main park road is now open 24 hours/day to Flamingo. Marine areas open for day use, use caution due to underwater hazards. At Flamingo, the boat ramps are open with no other services.
    The notice I got said that the road to Flamingo is now open 24/7. I assumed that meant we could be in Flamingo 24/7. Just wondering if we would be bothered by rangers if we slept in our vehicle (I have a van camper) over night. Bob or anyone want to venture an opinion on this?
    Got the answer. Flamingo is open 24/7. But illegal in all parks to sleep in a vehicle not in a campground. They are working on getting the campground open.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 962 Officer
    Got the answer. Flamingo is open 24/7. But illegal in all parks to sleep in a vehicle not in a campground. They are working on getting the campground open.

Not sure about the scope of work needed to open the campground. But maybe camping on the beach sites or chickee maybe an option.
    From what I've seen having fished out of Flamingo a time or two since they allowed us to use the ramps again..... Anyone down there at night will be all by themselves (if you discount the critters and the bugs...). If they've opened the roadway I'll bet that at least one midnight shift ranger will work their way down there - and any vehicle in a parking spot anywhere at Flamingo will be kind of hard to miss (since it will be the only car there, period...).

Sounds like fun if you're up for a bit of late night adventure... Me? not so much.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • hardwayhardway Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Whent down to Flamingo last week. They are repaving another section of the road. If you have a flat on the Flamingo road, keep two wheels on the black top. so figure out how I know. The tide in Shark river was riping. Fishing was slow. Out side Shark Island was loaded with fish. Plenty of Tarpon. They tore down the fish cleaning station completyHope they build a new one. Lots of luck Capt. George the voice of experience.:)
    Hey Bones, might be time to put up the Winter thread......tons of water still coming out of the Glades, but it looks like the fish don't mind and are making their yearly push inside. Landed about a dozen snook with a few just short and one right at 33"

Hopefully back out there on Tuesday....
  • Fishin' MusicianFishin' Musician Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Fished Cape Sable area last Sunday. My buddy and I got 5 snook (one slot) and a black drum. Didn't encounter any jacks, ladies or trout!
    Beautiful weather. Miss the fish cleaning hut!!!!
    Dave

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file