scented shrimp vs gulp shrimp

knotsknots Posts: 46 Deckhand
Are there any types of plastic shrimp that you can put scent on,that can catch as good as gulp shrimp. The gulp shrimp catch`s ok but it not very durable. And I`am getting tired of going out and buying it.. It would by nice to have some scent and a more durable shrimp to use..... Thanks

Replies

• davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    I use live target and egret vudu shrimp and always lather in pro cure. Work well. Key is fishing them slow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Hard to find vudu shrimp. Little pricey as I lose a lot due to cuda.
  • jcbonejcbone Posts: 45 Deckhand
    I have been using monster 3x shrimp, very durable and have caught several fish on the same lure. I don't use any scent on them but I'm sure you could juice em up if you prefer.
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 131 Officer
    Took the wife out and set her up with a 3" Gulp on a popping cork . She caught 42 trout on a single gulp shrimp !!:cool:

Gulp are pretty durable ...as long as there are no Puff-daddies in the area ! But then again there almost nothing that will stand up to a Puffer ! Plastic is plastic .
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 3,987 Moderator
    Z-man
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet Posts: 1,725 Captain
    Jas2 wrote: »
    Took the wife out and set her up with a 3" Gulp on a popping cork . She caught 42 trout on a single gulp shrimp !!:cool:

Gulp are pretty durable ...as long as there are no Puff-daddies in the area ! But then again there almost nothing that will stand up to a Puffer ! Plastic is plastic .

that is true, but gulps aren't plastic..
    You should have been here yesterday
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 880 Officer
    DoA unscented works fine. I don't like using scents.
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Monster 3x... I have one that has been in the mouths of around 20+ snook, a couple mangroves, 5 jacks and one Juvi Goliath.. Still in one piece... No scent really needed, but a touch of Pro-Cure doesn't hurt it. Just fish em sllllloooowwwww
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    I forgot to mention Monster 3x! Love their stuff. Their slim shad are the BOMB too! More scent never hurt anyone. Lather it up after every 10-15 casts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,208 AG
    You are better off putting the scent on your hands.....It is all the odors you have on them prior to handling your bait....like gasoline...cigarettes...the steering wheel of your truck etc...that put "negative" smells on your plastic....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Cathy977Cathy977 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I love DoA's unscented. I seem to catch good size fish on them and they last forever for me...been lucky I guess...
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,644 AG
    I rig a tandem set up with fluorocarbon with one lead head about 3-4 inches above the other. And put a gulp shrimp first and unscented plastic with a different color behind it. The lagging one usually gets hit first and takes most of the abuse.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Chumboy2016Chumboy2016 Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    This is what I use! Its called Super Shrimp Gel. I dip my DOA shrimp in it the night before I go out and hang the lures up to dry. The next day I put them in my tackle box and when they hit the water the gel activates again producing a strong shrimp sent.

Attachment not found.246878
  • VikingViking Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I usually use a paddle tail body but when I do use a shrimp body it is a ZMan. ZMan shrimp have positive buoyancy and I rig it on a worm hook (I think size 2 or 3) and then pin a bullet weight with a toothpick about 12 to 18" from the hook. This set up is weedless and works well for me when the water is clear or the fish are eating small shrimp. I also add shrimp ProCure to the bait. I don't use Gulp products because I have not had that much luck with them, must be something I am doing because most of my friends have great luck with them. The only complaint that I hear about them is if you leave them in the sun they shrink and turn hard.
  • Chumboy2016Chumboy2016 Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Viking wrote: »
    I usually use a paddle tail body but when I do use a shrimp body it is a ZMan. ZMan shrimp have positive buoyancy and I rig it on a worm hook (I think size 2 or 3) and then pin a bullet weight with a toothpick about 12 to 18" from the hook. This set up is weedless and works well for me when the water is clear or the fish are eating small shrimp. I also add shrimp ProCure to the bait. I don't use Gulp products because I have not had that much luck with them, must be something I am doing because most of my friends have great luck with them. The only complaint that I hear about them is if you leave them in the sun they shrink and turn hard.

I love Zman lures I was using a paddle tail yesterday and caught some peacock bass. I have never caught anything with gulp and gulp is messy. I saw ProCure and Aquatic Nutrition and there shrimp scents and gels at a recent show. Both companies gave me some product to try. I have been using the shrimpgel from aquatic for a longtime now and it works great. I will be out today and tomorrow to try out procure shrimp stuff, I have heard from other anglers that because you have to squeeze it on your lures that it too is messy. I guess ill find out today.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,002 AG
    I was told to let the Gulps set out for like 10 minutes. Seems to toughen them up a bit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,614 Captain
    Gulp products aren't really lures ... they're shaped bait.

They work, but they're also pricey and stinky.

Sticky gel products, like Pro-Cure, also stink.

We'd rather keep the stench to a minimum.

"Lifelike" shrimp are designed to work as stand alone lures.

Adding scent can help seal the deal, but why make a mess?

Medium sized safety pins can hold pieces of Fishbites Shrimp.

Use small sections of the "fast acting" shrimp, in red packaging.

Keep in a small plastic bag, and replace when needed.

Having a hole already punched makes them easy to mount.
  • ArsinekArsinek Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Gulp shrimp work.

There is a reason you constantly hear about them. Unless you're drunk or clumsy or something the "juice" isnt a problem. If you get it on your hands stick your hands overboard and wash them off.

I think some people just dont like them because theyre so popular.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Well there's that for sure and the fact that they cost more than I used to spend on reefer? 🤣
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Arsinek wrote: »
    Gulp shrimp work.

There is a reason you constantly hear about them. Unless you're drunk or clumsy or something the "juice" isnt a problem. If you get it on your hands stick your hands overboard and wash them off.

Novice, but gulp mullet baits, 3 or 4 inch work well with1/8 ounce. You get 10 to 12 in pack, one bait can last. I only buy when on sale. I like to stay at .35 cents or less per bait.
    Yall must be some poor mofos if you cant afford Gulp.
    Gulp shrimp work.

Or some of us don't have a problem filling the cooler with DoA Cals so we don't see the point in Gulp.
    kellercl wrote: »
    Or some of us don't have a problem filling the cooler with DoA Cals so we don't see the point in Gulp.

And some of us dont have a problem filling the cooler with Gulps so we dont see the point in DoA Cals. So there! :grin
  • StryderStryder Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I like using gulp baits, have had great success with them but seem pricey. Letting them stand for a few minutes before first cast toughens them up. Hate the packaging, I do put buck tails and non scented plastics in the juice which seems ti help them get more hits. I also find the original power baits less expensive and more durable.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky

And some of us dont have a problem filling the cooler with Gulps so we dont see the point in DoA Cals. So there! :grin

Lol, that is a fair point. Use what works. Folks keep looking for magical lures, when they need to be learning how to read the water. Hungry fish will hit a wide variety of lures, finding the fish is more important than lure selection, imho.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet Posts: 1,725 Captain
    kellercl wrote: »
    Lol, that is a fair point. Use what works. Folks keep looking for magical lures, when they need to be learning how to read the water. Hungry fish will hit a wide variety of lures, finding the fish is more important than lure selection, imho.

^^^^^this is the truth. Find fish and you can use almost anything
    You should have been here yesterday
  • austjjaustjj Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I agree 100% on finding fish. Once I locate fish, I try other plastics to see what they will hit other than Gulp. Most of the time other plastics do get the fish to hit. Now and then only Gulp works or Powerbaits, usually tubes. I know live bait and cut bait at times only way to go. I not in the habit of buying unless the fishing with plastics not good and grandkids will be fishing. Then I do what keeps them happy and catching fish.
  • LCinOHLCinOH Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    What Davederb said. VUDU ROCK. And with the reinforced tail, they last.

WishinIwasFishininFL
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Here in stuart we do a lot of DOA baits. But I've fished the Vudu baits that we're given to me and did well. As for scenting them....I've done well scenting and just throwing out of the box. Whatever gives you confidence😜
  • ajt1973ajt1973 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Which Pro Cure?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file