Thinking about getting a yak

I am thinking about getting a new kayak to fish out of. I just fish bays, sounds, bayous and flats, so no rough waters. I need to gather as much info and recommendations so I can make an informed decision. So I need as much feedback as possible so I can understand why and why not. I don't need to spend a bunch of money but want a stable, comfortable, fishable and easy to go distances yak for as little money as possible.
Thanks for any and all input!
AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Replies

• mlangemlange Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    paddle or pedal? sit in or sit on? long and narrow goes faster and straighter. wide and elavated seating are more stable and comfortable. what's most important to you?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,514 Admiral
    mlange wrote: »
    paddle or pedal? sit in or sit on? long and narrow goes faster and straighter. wide and elevated seating are more stable and comfortable. what's most important to you?

Sit on top, 13' and goes fairly fast, I don't want a barge, and certainly want one that is stable and comfortable for my aging back. I am looking currently at both the pedal and paddle to decide if the amount spent on the upgrade is worth the output. That is why I am looking for any and all input, so I can make a semi informed decision.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• stussingstussing Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Find a shop the does demos or rentals. Way cheaper in the long run to make sure that you get the features that you really need then want.
    Pedal power will cost 2 - 3X but from an angler stand point is priceless unless you plan to anchor in wind or current. Cant fish with two hands on a paddle. Try before you buy will help a lot. I like to use the yak to travel then wade because I dont have pedals.
  • krashkrash Posts: 534 Officer
    Search this forum and others, that subject comes up once a week and you can find many many post with tons of information.

12 to 15 feet, if you want paddling efficiency 30" wide or less, flat floor area where your legs and feet go if you want to stand. I fyou want comfort at the expense of paddling effort to get distance a wider kayak with lawn chair seat. SoT vs Sit-in is a choice, down south where we fish and enjoy warm weather year round SOT is most popular, up to the North of the mason-dixon line where the water and weather is chilly/cold you'll see more Sit-Inside kayaks. Pedal or Paddle is the next choice but pedal kayaks add a lot of $$ to the answer, pedals do have advantages but also have dis-advantages. Another option if paddling is Rudder or no Rudder, alos a personal choice which adds generally a couple hundred $$, MPO is rudder is not needed, they are most useful when drifting and helping to keep the bow pointed where you want it, or perhaps if paddling into a heavy wind. Required on a pedal kayak.

Go to places where you want to fish and see what others are using... talk to the locals, when they are coming in not when they are trying to launch and you'll get much better information than you might in a public forum. Don;t believe much you hear from a sales person they will always be pushing their product.

My personal favorites are OK Prowler/Trident 13/15' and Tarpon 120/140 as great proven hulls that have been around for years and keep on selling, both can be found used as well. My all time favorite is the OK ScupperPro TW if you can find one, 15' x 29", only weighs 55 pounds, will paddle away from most current models, takes any sea conditions, but not one you can stand in easily.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    I really appreciate the responses so far, keep them coming. I am trying to set up a demo day for sure! I just need to narrow down my choices to maybe 4 or 5 units and give them a whirl. One of my buddies uses nothing but Ocean Kayak as well and he and his girlfriend and dad all use them every week.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,209 Moderator
    Spineyman, since you're fishing inshore, do you require a platform that allows you to stand? That immediately helps you divide the long/skinny/sit-only kayaks from the wider/stable kayaks which favor standing.
    How will you be transporting? Roofracks, truckbed, trailer? This will help you determine how heavy you want to go, since you said you don't want a barge.
    Glad you will be trying some out so you can get hands-on experience with a few different models.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Spineyman, since you're fishing inshore, do you require a platform that allows you to stand? That immediately helps you divide the long/skinny/sit-only kayaks from the wider/stable kayaks which favor standing.
    How will you be transporting? Roofracks, truckbed, trailer? This will help you determine how heavy you want to go, since you said you don't want a barge.
    Glad you will be trying some out so you can get hands-on experience with a few different models.

I would like to be able to stand periodically if for nothing else but to stretch.I will be hauling it in a pickup bed with a loader assist bar that goes into the trailer hitch, and the models I am looking at are the Vibe Sea Ghost 130, the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, the Old Town Predator MX, and just for giggles the Old Town Predator PDL. There is one other that I want to try but not available around me to try and that is a peddle drive as well but not as good or as pricey as the Old Town. The Perception Pescador Pilot 12 PK. I was told by all the guys around here to go sit on not sit in, so there are my choices. What say you or anyone else for that matter on feedback?
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,385 Officer
    I got my kayak about 2 years ago and like you I only fish inshore and the lake and river.
    Stable was most important but also hands free was important. I tried some paddle kayaks (can't remember which) and
    I also tried the Hobie's. I wound up with the Hobie pro angler 14. I love it but I am considering going to Hobie Outback.
    Mainly because the PA is heavy. I have a trailer for hauling and usually try to fish where there is a good launch that I can
    get really close to. The Outback is lighter and would probably be easier to get to the water and in the water. I haven't really
    done any comparison or serious looking yet so maybe somebody with more experience with both will jump in and help.
    Oh, I bought my PA used and got a good deal on it I thought.
    The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Good choices, and a solid starting point. Yes to sit-on-top, and definitely no to sit-inside style kayaks.
    I'm a Hobie fan myself (not sponsored), so I would have steered you towards a Hobie Compass ($2000 brand new) or a used Hobie Outback ($1500-2000 used). The Hobie Pro-Anglers are too heavy and damned expensive for me to get on board with.
    I can get a like new Hobie Outback Mirage with the peddle drive used twice for a grand even. He said he paid like 2800 bucks out the door but just wants to get rid of it.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/21783/Hobie-Mirage-Outback-Kayak.html

This exact one right here., and same color for a grand, used twice.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

I was shocked at how much diffrence in paddling effort there can be between diffrent styles of hulls. I'd rather fish out of my 12' sit on but my 14' sit in flys in comparison with little effort. Still playing with the idea of putting a trolling motor on the 12' for hands free fishing. Less cost than purchasing a yak with pedals.
    Spineyman wrote: »
    https://www.austinkayak.com/products/21783/Hobie-Mirage-Outback-Kayak.html

This exact one right here., and same color for a grand, used twice.

Thats a incredible buy. wouldnt hesitate long
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Thats a incredible buy. wouldnt hesitate long

^^^ this! That is a steal. I have two PA12’s and love em. Love my Hobies and have fished a OK Prowler 13 and a Jackson Cuda 14. Never again will I paddle! Ever! Go demo an Outback and buy your buds for a $1k. You’ll thank us later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
    davederb wrote: »
    ^^^ this! That is a steal. I have two PA12’s and love em. Love my Hobies and have fished a OK Prowler 13 and a Jackson Cuda 14. Never again will I paddle! Ever! Go demo an Outback and buy your buds for a $1k. You’ll thank us later.

How do you have to store them with those flippers hanging out of the bottom?
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

• dcrdcr Posts: 256 Deckhand
    I just spent 10 days on Sanibel. I have a short Hobie with mirage drive, but didn't take it this time. I rented Oceans twice, once to fish, once not. For fishing NOTHING beats a fishing Hobie. Trying to paddle out of a dock or mangroves with a snook or red on the line is just crapola pot pie. The Hobie provides way too many features to not get one. I am a minimalist fisherman, i.e. I try to take almost everything I need on my PFD, but I still have tools in the mesh bags, FAK velcroed into the hull, a built-in tackle box in the seat hatch, blah, blah, blah. NONE of those things were available on the Oceans I rented and the experience sucked. I had to put my pliers in a scupper hole and then spend 10 minutes getting the rust off them.

A $1k Outback? GRAB IT NOW!

The mirage drive is removable. It pops out in 2 seconds. It has to since you could damage it if you hit bottom. While the rudder isn't removable, it usually needs to be in the up position for launch/beach and in less than 12" of water to avoid damage.
    Thanks for all the input from everyone! Here are the two choices I have narrowed it down to. If I decide to go with a paddle craft the first one is my final decision, and if I choose a pedal craft then the second one is my choice. I have two friends who use the pedal drive and absolutely love it. One of them was a Hobie man through and through. He actually had a paddle Hobie, and upgraded it to the pedal Hobie and then when the Old Town pedal craft came out, he switched over and said there is zero comparison. He is on the water more than anyone I know. At least 25 days a month he is fishing. So again thank you for all the help, I have definitely narrowed it down to those two, with the final decision coming in a few days. I do know everyone is saying I will not regret going pedal craft for sure. So honestly that is the way I am leaning now.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/22199/Old-Town-Predator-13-Kayak-2017.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/21777/Old-Town-Predator-PDL-Pedal-Drive-Kayak.html
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

Like: Old Town Predator 13
    No like: Old Town Predator PDL. The pedal kayaks which have a prop drive are not as versatile for shallow water as Hobie kayaks. The Hobie kayaks can be half-kicked for shallow fin movement which keep the fins close up to the hull, however the prop drives are either extending down a foot or completely taken out of the water.
    I hear there is a new mirage drive that can provide reverse thrust. That would be the only reason not to get an older hobie?
  • graguirregraguirre Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I started with a Jackson Cuda 14' long and skinny. Not very stable for standing or maybe I just don't have very good balance, could be both! I ended up with a Hobie PA 14' which I love, as stated above it is a little bit on the heavy side but I don't have any problems getting it in and out of the bed of my pickup with a bed extender I got off Amazon for under $50. It has been a great platform to fish from and I can easily stand, throw a cast net etc. I got mine used also after a buddy fell off of it in winter (Louisiana) that was the last time he was on a kayak. I got it for $1000 dollars off new price, still a little on the steep side depending on your budget. Good luck on your quest.. Also agree with some of the other posts above Wilderness puts out a great product. You really just need to try a few out and see what you're comfortable in/on.
    I hear there is a new mirage drive that can provide reverse thrust. That would be the only reason not to get an older hobie?

Yes it is the mirage 180. My biggest dilemma at this point is I have never even plopped my derriere in a yak. Not in or out of the water. So I am leaning toward a pedal drive yak, but then what happens if I don't like fishing out of one. Then I have spent a good bit of money for something I don't want to use. The sad part is the dealers up here pretty much have cancelled their demo days, so I am in a lurch. I might just but a middle of the line yak and make sure I like it. Then if I do, upgrade it next year. They tell me most yaks seem to resell pretty easily. So in the mean time I am studying and asking a million questions and trying to figure out the right way to go.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

• jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 118 Deckhand
    I'll throw this in the mix...I have 3 kayaks and 1 SUP. Been doing it for about a decade. 2 kayaks are sit on, one is sit in. I just bought a hybrid Kaku.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but you need to go to a demo day.

My 2 cents...I love my Wilderness Commander. I don't know how many fish I've caught in it. I also have it equipped with a micro powerpole - best thing ever made for kayak fishing. It's a bit heavy and at the end of the day can be difficult get on top a car. I have a truck now so no worries. To me if you can't stand up in it - it's a deal breaker. I've gone beach tarpon fishing in it - but would opt for a sit on next time.

The tarpon 140 is a fast boat, but no standing up in it. I only break that boat out in windy conditions. The kids use them mostly.

The Isle runner is pretty much the same as a tarpon 140 - except it has a rudder. A very nice feature in heavy winds and tight maneuvering.

Now the Kaku...great fishing platform. It has an integrated powerpole location - very sweet. It's a bear to paddle into the wind - it's pretty heavy at 70 lbs. Somehow it seems to be more stealthy than a standard kayak - I find myself sneaking up on trout. That said it does have some hull slap - not sure how that's woking, but it is. I did find that in heavy winds it will take on a bit of water - some 5200 should take care of that. This will be my go to rig in the big boat...

If it were me I would seriously look at a used Bote Bugslinger. 40 lbs or so, integerated powerpole location...

FWIW I bought all my kayaks used and I'm in it for about $2K for all of them. Craigslist is your friend.

Gratuitous kayak/boat **** included.

20171027_152104_zpszhu76ohy.jpg

20171027_113904-1_zps8j0kkxqe.jpg

20171024_133639_zpsrab3lj8l.jpg
    Here's a thought Spiney, how about chartering a kayak fishing trip to see if you like fishing from the kayak? Might be a bit pricey, but you'll learn so much in a couple hours.
    jbdba01 wrote: »

20171024_133639_zpsrab3lj8l.jpg
    Some good points, and my compliments on the neat storage!
    Here's a thought Spiney, how about chartering a kayak fishing trip to see if you like fishing from the kayak? Might be a bit pricey, but you'll learn so much in a couple hours.

I have a guy here that does just that, and he owns 3 of the Old Town Predator PDL kayaks. He said he would take me two afternoons when he is not booked. But I also want to try a few different paddle craft to see the difference and see if it is worth the extra thousand to go pedal instead. He actually covers 8 to 10 miles in a trip, but most of my fishing is pretty centrally located. Which means , I don't have far to go, but could if I want to.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

I also have an appointment to try a Native Slayer 14.5. It is a year old used in fresh water by the guys house and has a ton of extra goodies on it for a grand. He said you can't even see any scratches on it. I want to try as many different makes and models so I can make an educated choice. As of right now I have only seen then, but never once sat in one yet.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

http://tnthideaway.com/canoe-rental/

Not sure if you want to go this far, but this is where I tried various kayaks. My wife and I rented and went up the Wakulla River. I tried paddle and peddle. The peddle I tried here was a hobie outback I think. Super nice folks. You can try some out here.
    Same folks own Wilderness Way. http://www.thewildernessway.net/kayak-rentals.html
    The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.
    jcbcpa wrote: »
    I got my kayak about 2 years ago and like you I only fish inshore and the lake and river.
    Stable was most important but also hands free was important. I tried some paddle kayaks (can't remember which) and
    I also tried the Hobie's. I wound up with the Hobie pro angler 14. I love it but I am considering going to Hobie Outback.
    Mainly because the PA is heavy. I have a trailer for hauling and usually try to fish where there is a good launch that I can
    get really close to. The Outback is lighter and would probably be easier to get to the water and in the water. I haven't really
    done any comparison or serious looking yet so maybe somebody with more experience with both will jump in and help.
    Oh, I bought my PA used and got a good deal on it I thought.

Can you stand up easily in your kayak? I have a demo set up for tomorrow for a brand new Outback with turbo fins. But the guy said it is not just pop up and stand in this. He said it takes practice and balance. My 2 buddies that both own the Predator PDL say you just pop us no problem whatsoever. I just know with my back, I can not sit, stand, lay or walk ,or any thing else in one position for a long period of time. So I must be able to stand after sitting for a while so I can stretch out my lower back. There is an outback by me know that has the new drive and a ton of extras the guy used twice for 2000 bucks. The other one for a grand has the old drive with no reverse.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

Yes, I can stand easily in the PA. As someone else said I can throw my cast net too. With that said, I don't usually take my cast net and I don't stand to fish. If I need to stand to stretch, I usually just pull up on the beach or get in shallow water and get out and walk around awhile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file