Shrimp run tarpon

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 199 Deckhand
Hey guys seeing as we can't fish for the next couple of days I wanna get some opinions on flies to tie, in Miami I love fishing the shrimp run for tarpon. What kind of shrimp flies would you guys tie to throw on a 12wt? And what kind of blue crab flies? I know it's a long way off but I'm still excited

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,817 Captain
    Night trips down here in south Florida are a big part of bookings year after year. We're mostly targeting small to medium fish (average 20 to 40lbs - with an occasional much bigger) with relatively light fly rods (no 12wt needed). It's all sight-fishing, in the urban areas of Biscayne Bay between Miami and Miami Beach under one bridge or other (all of them hold fish during shrimp runs - and there are two runs - a winter and a summer run).

We mostly only use one pattern, my own - worked up over many years... It's a simple, bushy white tarpon fly on a strong 1/0 or 2/0 hook (mostly Owner Aki hooks - but quite a few other makes will do as well - they have to be strong and sharp...). Here's a pic or two

[img][/img][img][/img]CaGrjSg.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]8f7tZSl.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]yLpY2iu.jpg

The first two pics are a bit older - they were done up on Mustad 7766 hooks - the last pic shows them done up on the Owner hooks. The name of the fly is easy to remember - it's the Night Fly - and I can't remember how many dozens of them I did for fly shops back when I was tying commercially...

Hope this helps.... remember these are specifically for fish holding right at the surface and my anglers are working a particular fish with each cast...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    That helps immensely! thank you!
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,748 Captain
    & to add my .03 cents, YES they do work & thanks again Capt. Bob for all you have done. BTW We are recovering quite nicely. We are well as I hope you & yours are also.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
    Thanks Ron... We're doing okay considering that my bookings have gone to zero... As things recover it will all get up running again.... Unlike the Keys at least we have power and water, etc. Y'all took a beating from what I've seen.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Night trips down here in south Florida are a big part of bookings year after year. We're mostly targeting small to medium fish (average 20 to 40lbs - with an occasional much bigger) with relatively light fly rods (no 12wt needed). It's all sight-fishing, in the urban areas of Biscayne Bay between Miami and Miami Beach under one bridge or other (all of them hold fish during shrimp runs - and there are two runs - a winter and a summer run).

We mostly only use one pattern, my own - worked up over many years... It's a simple, bushy white tarpon fly on a strong 1/0 or 2/0 hook (mostly Owner Aki hooks - but quite a few other makes will do as well - they have to be strong and sharp...). Here's a pic or two

[img][/img][img][/img]CaGrjSg.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]8f7tZSl.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]yLpY2iu.jpg

The first two pics are a bit older - they were done up on Mustad 7766 hooks - the last pic shows them done up on the Owner hooks. The name of the fly is easy to remember - it's the Night Fly - and I can't remember how many dozens of them I did for fly shops back when I was tying commercially...

Hope this helps.... remember these are specifically for fish holding right at the surface and my anglers are working a particular fish with each cast...

Quick question what is the collar made of? Is it only hackle or marabou and hackle or bunny tail? I can't tell, thank you!
    Here's the materials list for that bug...

Hook: ex-strong 1/0 or 2/0 (these days mostly an Owner Aki..). I use super sharp premium hooks with other styles you may have
    to really sharpen them to be effective

Thread: Danville's flat waxed nylon (color of choice - I routinely do 1/0 hooks with fl. red and 2/0 fl. yellow for this pattern since it's
    going to be used at night and it's handy to tell at a glance what size the hook is...).

Spreader: Bleached white calftail (3/4 to 1 " long) rolled around the hook evenly - just in front of the bend...

Tail: Bleached white neck hackles, wide and webby, cheap strung neck hackle is all I use for tarpon tails (6 of them) mated three
    on a side and tied in place on the side of the spreader, splayed outwards. After the tail is in place add 8 to 12 strands of
    pearl flashabou on top in between the splayed feathers - keep the flash shorter than the neck hackles...

Collar: Bleached white saddle hackles (3) , wide, webby 6 to 7" long tied in with as much of the "fluff" left on as possible by the
    butt - then wound forward as a unit, caught -then tied off, at least an eye's length back from the hook eye... Build up the
    head forward to create a head with your tying thread, whip finish to end.
    Finish or head cement ... None, I routinely just lightly coat the heads on this bug with super glue (Krazy Glue in the small plastic tube..)
    instead of using any finish at all....

Somewhere I've got a series of photos showing the tying process for this pattern that I did for an article. I actually used to teach this stuff at local fly shops and at fly shows around the state (and a few outside the state - but that was a few years back...).

These days hardly any magazines are buying articles at all (and the ones that are won't be around very much longer...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Really appreciate you sharing as freely as you do. Live in Broward and fish the surf with my fly rod. Your posts are very informative. Thanks...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file