Status Update

Replies

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,559 Captain
    What a mess - been trying to contact those that stayed
    Trying to find out if our house or new boat that arrive a few weeks ago are both still there
    Sounds like they will start letting residents in tomorrow
    Down to 74mm
    Good morning america will be reporting from Marathon in the am
    Praying for all those who stayed and hope to get a report on our place
    Lots of info on THT and Facebook
    Will post any new info tomorrow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • FyrestormFyrestorm Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Keeping all the residents and business owners in our thoughts. We had reservations at the old wooden bridge first week of October. I could care less about them, just hope no name bar and all the other little iconic places are still there. I've been going to the keys most my life. I live in Indian Harbour Beach and sustained damage to my home, I can't imagine what they went through in the Keys. The second they open back up I'll plan my trip down to help support them. I hope for the best for you all down there. This is very difficult to see.
    No GMA coverage she was back in Miami

in you have not seen it here is the video that they took over Marathon

http://abcnews.go.com/US/irma-leaves...ry?id=49758372

Shows trailers piled up on Ocean St W and 63rd area

Maybe if cell service returns we can get a report from a real person
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 488 Deckhand
    99b866fb4d2402d1fd80f3fac5fceb4c.jpga3d8bc8902fe85af9bc955f3d94b16d3.jpge156a1cfdfb757071c6d1413ea14e904.jpg44e06b1b9f3d89ecb09b87a41b015aa8.jpg
    Two conchs posted this on ig. They said their boats made it (marathon) Captain nicks boat and other budnmarys boats made it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Saw video of Bud and Marys looked like all of the boats evacuated.

This is going to be along recovery - still hoping for the best
    Not knowing is agonizing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 313 Deckhand
    https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

NOAA areal photos of Key West- post storm. It looks like all the boats tide up to the docks made it. Lots of sailboats looked like they broke free of their moorings and blew up against flemming key, sunset key, and the harbor. I see a few roofs blown off, but given the size of the storm, we got lucky. I have a friend flying in today and hoping to get an update via sat. phone. Its looking like anything east of Cudjoe key got hammered the worst.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Woodytoo,
    I have (or is it had?) a place on SouthSeas, Port Pine Heights. I received 2 pics near my street and while the trees are all sideways, homes are still standing... cars and boats on trailers appear to be in the same spots.
  • ashley24ashley24 Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Hoping everyone is ok. here we contact each other on this forum with fishing info to help each other enjoy paradise. Hoping we can all help with any info in our areas. I have a house on 29666 enterprise ave big pine key. i am trying to get there as soon as I can and I will be bringing water and plenty to anyone please reach out and anything i can take i will. Bo from woody too. If i get down there before you i will try and drive back there i also have friends back there hes a contractor and is trying to get in.

send me your address.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,944 Captain
    Matt888 wrote: »
    Woodytoo,
    I have (or is it had?) a place on SouthSeas, Port Pine Heights. I received 2 pics near my street and while the trees are all sideways, homes are still standing... cars and boats on trailers appear to be in the same spots.

Matt888, can you send me the pics? I will follow up with a PM. I have viewed one aerial picture but its kinda hard to see the details, our home is on Bahama Street.
    Just heard that they have water pressure down to Marathon
    Key West Emergency Mgr interview
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 239 Deckhand
    SE corner of BPK - Ave. A-J to Hollerich Dr. by park.

https://www.facebook.com/wxchasing/videos/vb.290340114630959/529387440726224/?type=2&theater

misidentified as Summerland Key.
    Shocking damage!

My buddies house in Doctors Arm near Noname, still trying to find pictures there.
    It appears we definitely need at least a new roof but structure seems to be intact but who knows until we inspect....neighbors in back lost half their roof and right across street lost half their home, just sucks.....a few up and down the street have roof damage as well and a few others have some worse roof damage with regards to exposure. Honestly I know every home could have been reduced to twigs with this type of storm, just incredible something remains although exactly what no one knows. I am guessing a tornado rolled through the general area, total guess and no way of knowing. Considering the wind field that rolled through I know we are very lucky.

What really cracks me up is it looks like the boat barely moved, I did stake it to the ground and tied it to a palm tree which blew over, most likely saving the boat from leaving the property. And the fence which was falling apart in some places is mostly still standing, crazy.

God Bless All and be safe out there. When I get the all clear I will return, hoping next week but I doubt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • MGDMGD Posts: 912 Officer
    It appears we definitely need at least a new roof but structure seems to be intact but who knows until we inspect....neighbors in back lost half their roof and right across street lost half their home, just sucks.....a few up and down the street have roof damage as well and a few others have some worse roof damage with regards to exposure. Honestly I know every home could have been reduced to twigs with this type of storm, just incredible something remains although exactly what no one knows. I am guessing a tornado rolled through the general area, total guess and no way of knowing. Considering the wind field that rolled through I know we are very lucky.

What really cracks me up is it looks like the boat barely moved, I did stake it to the ground and tied it to a palm tree which blew over, most likely saving the boat from leaving the property. And the fence which was falling apart in some places is mostly still standing, crazy.

God Bless All and be safe out there. When I get the all clear I will return, hoping next week but I doubt it.
    I have a box of 6 new large (20x30) tarps if anyone can use them. I'm in Boca Raton
    Text me at 5612130419 if you need them or know anyone who can
    AOKRVs wrote: »

Still no BPK pictures, bizarre! Thanks for posting.
  • ashley24ashley24 Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Everyone go to AnT cheston on facebook he has 439 pictures of big pine key. just look thru them he has address listed also. including sea center ships way ETC.
  • steve22steve22 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Still no BPK pictures, bizarre! Thanks for posting.

The NOAA is helpful , but I also need BPK! This would have really helped , IF BPK was included. Bizzare indeed.
    ashley24 wrote: »
    Everyone go to AnT cheston on facebook he has 439 pictures of big pine key. just look thru them he has address listed also. including sea center ships way ETC.

Is there a way to see these if your not on facebook?
    Hope they get BPK updated soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
    Razzman wrote: »
    Here are some Big Pine Pics

[url]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPvSERjJIqKfjfv4I10Co4XL8H

Best info so far for my place. Cant actually see my place, but the park looks better than I hoped. The 1 picture that's closest stops maybe 50 feet from my place.[/url]
    We all are going to need a big party after this.
    If I had to chose between my house or my boat to survive I would pick the boat.
    Fishing is the reason we are in the keys and I love heading out as the sun is coming up.

If my boat survived, I am going to put together free fishing trips for those who lost their boat to Irma.
    A lot of great guys here on THT and FL Sportsmen so lets go catch some fish.
    Find the positive and the Keys will be back alive soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
    Got an eyes on my boat it looks like it should be okay. Big relief because the NOAA image looked like it was on the seawall and the hull was broke almost in half. On lift just floated back into seawall will need to check lower units, motor mounts and transom but hopefully minor repairs. Our house lost most of the tiles but roof looks intact.
    There is still a lot to be done. If only they would let us in to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
    This doesn't sound good:
    "A new website has been established by Monroe County. It hasn’t been populated yet with a lot of information, but it will be soon. The web address is www.keysrecovery.org
    Unfortunately, for those who want to return to Key Colony Beach in the near future, Monroe County Health Director advised us today for health and safety reasons, the Middle and Lower Keys could be closed off for up to 30 days. Only emergency personnel, approved supply distribution companies (e.g. Home Depot, Publix, etc.), and government authorized contractors will be allowed past the checkpoints."
    From Key colony admin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 268 Officer
    Sorry for not providing an update. Matt88 thanks for the pic offer, and latitude very very glad to hear you are ok! Ashley24 will send you a pm. Been keeping close tabs on our neighborhood app, and there has been allot of solid news from Monroe county, the state and Feds. Also was forward the keys recovery website. It is indeed going to be a long hard ride to even begin to get things right.

We got aireal pics -from several sources - of the neighborhood, and then a good look from the noaa satellite site. I think I am the luckiest man alive, the woodytoo is still on the lift, house still standing and my jeep is in the front yard. It does not look like we got an overwash, because heck my picnic table is still sitting where we left it! Neighbors houses took a lot of roof damage, and there are a few that are a total mess. But for the most part , we are so much better than I feared.

Hang tight fellow piners! We will get through this!

Bo
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 665 Officer
    This doesn't sound good:
    "A new website has been established by Monroe County. It hasn’t been populated yet with a lot of information, but it will be soon. The web address is www.keysrecovery.org
    Unfortunately, for those who want to return to Key Colony Beach in the near future, Monroe County Health Director advised us today for health and safety reasons, the Middle and Lower Keys could be closed off for up to 30 days. Only emergency personnel, approved supply distribution companies (e.g. Home Depot, Publix, etc.), and government authorized contractors will be allowed past the checkpoints."
    From Key colony admin

That doesn't sound good. Slightly damaged homes can be totally destroyed by mold within 30 days. They need somebody else in charge. Port Aransas, Texas had similar problems. Hit by the eye wall of Harvey, and only 1 hwy into town.
    They set up a road block and homeowners had to "turn in" (not just display) their details and a local drivers license (or deed to the home if you weren't a local) to get past the check point. They had to be back out by curfew time to pick up their driver's license or a warrant was placed for their arrest. This gave homeowners time to bleach, etc., the home and time to set up generators with fans. With their driver's license, or deed to their home held by police, everybody left the island by the start of curfew time.

If water and waste are the issue, make it mandatory that owners have water and a porta-potty in their truck to get in. Just saying a blanket "NO" to access, is stupid.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Officials are basically saying they need to restore all services before they allow residents back in. This is ludicrous. If that's true all the money I spent buying a generator, drums of fuel, satellite phone, storable food and water was a total waste. Most people just want an opportunity to go **** the damage to their homes and salvage any property they can and protect it from looters. What they are doing is creating a situation where no one will ever leave when the next hurricane comes.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 12,969 AG
    If I had to chose between my house or my boat to survive I would pick the boat.

I did not want the 'hassle' of it but last Weds I made the 4+ hour run in the boat back up to our little Lauderdale home where I have a much better dock to tie it to. I knew that even a light Cat 1 would probably smash my boat on the PVC pipes that it normally rests against in the oceanside, Key Largo canal. There are more than a few sunken boats in our 7 canals and boats that were lifted off their lifts and are now laying awkwardly on the deck/dock/lifts, etc. Not good.

Got a neighbor to take some photos of the house yesterday and it looks good except for some shutter damage, patio fans, and my cool fish cleaning table "Keys Style" roof has collapsed.

We both have the Resident's Pass and we hope to get down and check out the interior asap....
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 261 Deckhand
    Just an FYI Manatee Bay Marina looked untouched from the photos I saw,same with Garden Cove Marina.
    I also heard Buzzards Roost maybe open as early as this Sat. Best wishes to all.
    Marathon City Hall
    Marathon will be open by Sunday night at the latest
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

. www.AOKCharters.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file