PLUM WOOD ON SMOKER??

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 690 Officer
Going to put two half fresh hams and a butt on the smoker in the morning.
Wondered if anyone has tried smoking with wild plum?
I mostly use cherry and hickory, buddy gave me some nice dry plum and I have read good things.
I will keep you posted.
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 690 Officer
    Well its good. Something special?? not really.
    Whole lot like cherry.

This was 4 hours in

5 1/2 hours hams came in to rest for slicing while the butt finished.

Ended up with 5 weeks of lunch meat in the freezer and the butt will be gone by Wednesday:)
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,160 AG
    Looks good! In my smoke wood stash I have various oaks, pecan, pear, wild plumb, grapefruit, fig and wild cherry. The fruit woods are all pretty similar, way different than any of the oaks. I have not tried the fig or grapefruit yet.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,219 Moderator
    I get buttonwood from the keys and it's my favorite mixed with a little oak. Seagrape is another but like cherry too if I have it.

I need to find some decent butts and replenish my stash also. Yours looks excellent !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,543 Captain
    Allspice and Lychee work well too.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,024 AG
    Most of your fruitwoods are good for smoking but a light smoke. I would use it mainly for fish and chicken. We did up some ribs for Mothers Day using Pecan/Cherry mix

Wife was quite happy to stay home instead of hitting a restaurant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 1,939 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Looks good! In my smoke wood stash I have various oaks, pecan, pear, wild plumb, grapefruit, fig and wild cherry. The fruit woods are all pretty similar, way different than any of the oaks. I have not tried the fig or grapefruit yet.

I thought wild cherry was poisonous if used to smoke
    You should have been here yesterday
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,160 AG
    I thought wild cherry was poisonous if used to smoke

I read a bunch of forums and the consensus is yes parts of wild cherry is poisonous and yes you can smoke with it. Most cyanide compounds are in new growth and leaves and pits. Use cured debarked cherry and it doesn't seem to be a problem, although it may not be worth the trouble.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • bb2200bb2200 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Dang, bringing tears to my eyes with all you guys burning plum. I have turned plum on the lathe and there are some pretty spectacular colors on that wood and makes a very nice turkey call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file