LonglinesComing to Florida Straits

Well I just got the call I did not want to get.

Margo at HMS has let the fox into the hen house and has approved the Exempt Fishery Permit to let a nearly unlimited group of longlines back into the closed zone of the coast of Florida North of Stuart.

Sorry you East Coast guys, probably will see a significant decline it tuna, dolphin, marlin, swords, etc

This is clearly opening the zone as it is a three year permit.

Thank you Margo Schulze-Haugen at HMS for giving in to commercial interests.

This is what happens when we don't pay attention

Tell her what you think at Margo.Schulze-Haugen@NOAA.gov

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 296 Deckhand
    https://www.votervoice.net/COASTAL/Campaigns/53985/Respond

pre-written letter to voice opposition.
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    This proposal was clearly voted against by the HMS panel, but Margo, Scott Taylor of Day Boast LLC and Dave Kerstetter, (the worst fishery researcher on the planet) met privately with Margo, cut some kind of inside deal and now we have 6-12 boats fishing in the closed zone under the BS of research.

This isn't research, the "scientist" is paid by the longline company so he will train the crew as observers and call it fake science.

This guy Dave Kerstetter has produced some of the worst research anyone has ever submitted.

This guy is a joke and the "science" is BS!
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Best "science" money can buy! Enviros/commercials use their foundation $$ to fund bogus "science" to bolster their agenda.
  • surfmansurfman Posts: 3,496 Captain
    There's no corruption, nothing to see here, move along.....
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,150 Officer
    surfman wrote: »
    There's no corruption, nothing to see here, move along.....

I have a nice piece of bottom land I have been holding onto but I think it might be time to let it go. It`s about 40 miles west of Clearwater. Are you interested?
    From discussions I have had over the last week, and while a pack of longline boats are already fishing in the closed zone, this isn't over yet.

Remember, you can't have the fox guarding the hen house and Dave Kerstetter has done nothing much but research FOR the PLL fleet.

Some heavy hitters are on this and a meeting was held with Dept of Commerce last week that may put the Scott and Dave show to bed for good!

I hear FS is doing an article and I am doing one for Florida Sportfishing.

So the three musketeers may have a short lived fishing trip! (third party of this group used to post here)
    Good news.
    Interesting now that we have a copy of the EFP we find out only a small percentage of the sets have an observer on board. So in other words, Dave Kerstetter of NSU is dumb as a rock to sanction this with his stamp of "research", and now we find he let Day boats off for very few dollars and will sanction Captains and Crew recording their catch.

Now if thats not the Fox guarding the hen house, what is, in other words, Margo Schulze-Haugen doesn't think we need observer anymore.

Honestly, the kind of research Dave does, observers aren't necessary since he doesn't report anything anyway.

This guy is a frgging Joke of a "scientist"

I promise you this fight is far from over. FWC will have alot to say at the next HMS meeting(which is also a joke of an organization, HMS AP does nothing!)

In other words, HMS is a waste of time as they will do whatever they want regardless of the comments. Comments are to meet a regulatory requirement and they mean nothing.

Its time for Margo and HMS to go as they have outlive their usefulness!

Write Dept of Commerce and NOAA and tell them Margo needs to be put out to pasture!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,695 Captain
    So, Dave Kerstetter hOlds the permit and works at Nova Southeastern in the marine biology department with Guy Harveys name on it. GH is an outspoken conservationist. Where is he on this?
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 484 Deckhand
    So, Dave Kerstetter hOlds the permit and works at Nova Southeastern in the marine biology department with Guy Harveys name on it. GH is an outspoken conservationist. Where is he on this?

Guy Harvey is making money. He doesn't care. Need to get this to all the marlin and other organizations Harvey "works" with to make sure his fame only grows.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,223 Captain
    I agree. Guy Harvey is the Al Gore of fishing.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Ok great news for the East Coast guys!

Those longlines can fish as shallow as 400' of water!!!! at least in the Canaveral and a bit South of there.

Bycatch will be sails, Dolphin, Tuna, Marlin, and heck if the current is slow they may catch a few tiles! LOL!!

This isn't over yet for sure, mark my word, this one will be cut short. Its made its way to the White House and past Dept of Commerce!

FWC will be in DC for the AP meeting and they will give HMS a word from the Governor and Head of FWC.

This is a farce to call it research, only a fraction of the sets will be observed with independent observers as they call them, But trust me nothing about Dave Kerstetters research is independent! He was put thru grad school by the longliine industry!
    This Kerstetter sounds like a real dill-bag of a scientist. Doesn`t say much for the University and their Board...........
    Last time we endured this, while over a thousand set were planned and Dave justified that many as being required for statistical accuracy, only 186 were made. When asked by SAFMC if this was accurate and acceptable research they answer in the positive.

OK so if 186 is good, why isn't 600 a year for three years just fishing for profit at the expense of a billion dollar sportfishing economic impact??? So we let Day Boats catch a few hundred thousand dollars of fish and risk our sportfishing for BS science??? How does that make sense??

The permit recoginzes the possible negative impact to Dusky Sharks, so if any one boat has more that three dead Dsuky's do they stop fishing, NO they have to scale back soak time to 10 hours. What does that mean?? it meas they time the last hook set to the first hook pulled at 10 hours. Of course with that, depending on set time and haul back time, it is unlimited if they set slow and haul slow, so it means nothing.

Also remember that only a fraction of sets are required to have an observer, BUT all dead sharks must be biologically sampled by a trained biologist. But wait only a fraction have a biologist on board! Oh and all live sharks must have a fin clip taken?? OK by who the crew??

This is such a frigging joke, it is unbelievable that NMFS and HMS would allow it! Oh but remember the AP has no say, NMFS and HMS only holds AP meetings to meet a regulatory requirement and Day Boats gets private meetings with Margo to cut the real deal behind closed doors.

Trust me you can see the sparkle in Margo eyes when she talks to Scott from Day boats. They think he is the creates thing since PLL was invented! Not only does this has to stop to protect our valuable resource, but Margo and Head of NMFS must be replaced.

You all do realize that almost none of HMS has even seen a live sword, shark, tuna, marlin or sail!

Its time to drain the SWAMP, and we need to start with HMS who has devastated the commercial and recreational HMS fisheries for years.

Sam Rauch and Margo Sulze-Haugen have to go!
    While there are a bunch of great researchers at NSU especially in the coral reef fields, I can tell you one thing, The good ones sit in the Guy Haarvey Oceanographic Bldg,

I will try to find a link to Dave's last research in the closed zone so you can see it says nothing.

Oh but remember one thing, 3-4 dead juveniles for every legal swordfish!
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 982 Officer
    Here's some good news:

NOVA Halts Longline Research
    Press Release Courtesy: The Billfish Foundation | September 27, 2017

The Billfish Foundation (TBF) respects the wisdom of Dr. George L. Hanbury, II, President of NOVA Southeastern University for the decision to no longer continue the federally permitted pelagic longline research now underway inside Florida's east coast closed zone.

TBF recently brought to the attention of Dr. Hanbury threats the longline closed zone research could have on the university's fine reputation in the area of science and community relations (see TBF’s letter to Dr. Hanbury at www.billfish.org). The university has received high acclaim from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a High Research and Community Engagement University, recognition given to only 37 universities.

Yesterday TBF's president Ellen Peel received a message from Dr. Richard Dodge, a highly respected scientist at NOVA, stating that the university will not continue the longline research in Florida’s east coast closed zone. Peel says "her respect for the university and its president is reinforced with this decision; Dr. Hanbury continues to adhere to high standards in science and community relations.”
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,720 Admiral
    That is awesome news.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,223 Captain
    :thumbsup

I am not anti-commercial but I want to see it done the right way, in the right places and at the right time with the right methods.
    No smoke and mirrors.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Ellen and I spoke first thing this morning. Right now, since the Exempt Fishery Permit was issued to Kerstetter and Nova, it looks like this thing is done for now.

Kudos to both Nova and Billfish Foundation and especially Ellen Peele. If you want to thank her, renew your TBF membership. Oh and there are plenty of projects at NOVA that you can donate to and help especially in the coral science field.

So without a university and/or approved researcher, it looks like Day Boat won't be fishing any time soon. That is not to say HMS will not find another way to put Day Boats out there, but it looks like it would have to be an entire new application for an EFP.

And I CAN assure you that people very high up are watching this to make sure HMS doesn't find a way to back door us again!

Thanks again Ellen for bringing this to the eyes of the right people at NSU and thanks to NSU for recognizing there action was the right thing to do. That is one classy University if you ask me!
    Good News. Glad to hear it!
    You guys want to thank Ellen and TBF???

Renew your membership to The Billfish Foundation!

TBF is the only entity that worked in the direction that produced success.

A lot of others worked hard, but TBF thinks outside of the box and found someone who would listen.

Renew your member ship, but a hat or Tee shirt, do something to help keep this great resource available to us. TBF is great and Ellen works very hard for all of us!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file