Commercial Lobster Fishery

ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,825 Officer
Is there any recent effort being made to limit the commercial lobster catch? It seems that the resource is stretched a bit thin and the result is that too many recreational fishermen feel like they have to concentrate their efforts on the mini season or they'll miss out entirely, resulting in an annual mad rush in the Keys.
I know there's a trap certificate program designed to limit the number of traps, but it seems that deployment of certificated traps is right at 100%, and as Keys boaters well know the water is as thick with trap buoys as it ever has been.
Currently the commercial catch is about 75-80% of the total catch. Lobster is the most valuable commercial catch in the state, but recreational efforts bring a ton of money to the Keys, and spreads it around to a lot more businesses. What allocation of our resource would best serve the most people? Should there be further reductions to the number of trap permits? Should SAFMC adopt a sector allocation for lobster that reserves more for recreational efforts? Or is status quo acceptable?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,192 Admiral
    400,000 traps in the fishery.

There is no allocation, all you gots to do is go more to get more.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,620 Admiral
    Each year it is estimated that we catch at least 98% of the legal size lobster in the state.

Actually what happens in the Caribbean is as important as anything happening since larva drift from down South of us
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,192 Admiral
    Each year it is estimated that we catch at least 98% of the legal size lobster in the state.

Actually what happens in the Caribbean is as important as anything happening since larva drift from down South of us
    That is true.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,276 Moderator

:Agree
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file