Cherokee NC

Anyone ever fished there? Wife and I going there on vacation in Aug. plan on fishing some streams for a day or two. Any advice?

Replies

• thatredneckguyjamiethatredneckguyjamie Posts: 163 Deckhand
    trout fished some of the creeks up around there mostly around Pigeon Forge, Townsend area several times. Caught a good number of trout but they were all quite small...7-8 inches being the norm. My brother fished a dam up there somewhere right near Cherokee and did well on catfish and bass, caught a couple trout that went around 18-20"
  • capt louiecapt louie Posts: 9,042 Moderator
    I caught the most behind the Golden corral in downtown Cherokee. :grin They like worms.
    It's fun fishing and they stock them twice a week I think.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Depends on what type of fishing you want to do. There is a special fly fishing only catch and release stream that requires a special permit but it has 15-22 inch rainbow trout. Its called Raven Fork.

The regular stocked waters are good choices for heavily stocked 9-12 inch rainbows and the occasional giant brown trout. You can use any type of bait or lure.

The Great Smokys National Park is also right next door and allows fishing with single hook lures and flies. These are wild fish and the streams are small.

Bait choices for catching some stockers for dinner I would try live red worms, pink Power Bait worms, or a small inline spinner.

If you fish the reservation all you need is a Cherokee permit and you are good.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,700 Captain
    Thanks for the help everyone. I fished trout streams in Maine many yrs ago. Don't expect anything big just gonna have dome fun, thanks again.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 583 Officer
    I'm all about fishing behind any Golden Corral!! Especially if they're stocking them. Wow.
  • barrydbarryd Posts: 297 Deckhand
  • capt louiecapt louie Posts: 9,042 Moderator
    mikenav wrote: »
    I'm all about fishing behind any Golden Corral!! Especially if they're stocking them. Wow.

I know right :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    there's a Golden Corral in Cherokee?

Little River Outfitters put up a good fishing report for the smoky mountains:
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/pages/fishing/report.htm

The bridge going into the Smokemont campground is a nice little hot spot.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    If you fishing the Cherokee Res the day rate is cheaper than a license. They stock often also
    lots of great info!!! thanks guys!!!
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Yes if you fish off the reservation you need a NC license and trout license privilege.

On the reservation you need a Cherokee permit as an NC license or TN license are not valid there.

That said the Cherokee stock their streams heavy and there are a few wild fish as well.

Trout over 15 lbs have been caught there.

Keep an eye out for the wild elk as well. I know there was (or still is) some free range elk in Florida but there is a good herd of 30-50 animals in Cherokee too.
    Sounds great...thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file