Nurseries in Operation

11 July 2017...Wabasso to Grand Harbor...The boat ramp campground was open. Play boat at one side and a pair of jet skis on the other, race to see who could take the longest. Almost a dead heat, but the jet skis won. The nurseries were in full swing today. 4 inch Snapper, 10 inch Sheepshead and short Trout. Started the day at Pine Island. Loads of bait, but nothing working. Head South to Hobart Landing, big patch of nervous water on the flat. Shut down for a couple of casts, small Jacks. Hobart, overgrown Ladyfish and a pair of short Trout. With the tide being way down, decided to head for Grand Harbor. Small Snook and Snapper, nothing big. Past the golf cart bridge, saw a nice pair of Reds laying back in the rocks. Almost impossible to catch, cast and dead stick. Move the Baby Vudu Shrimp and it is hung, a little off on the cast and it is hidden in the rocks. Back in the Mangroves, a big Pinfish and a 14 inch Snapper. Not much in the area, at the back corner saw why. High tail with black trim, Sharks in the area again. Small Snapper in the Loggerheads channel. Out on the flat, short Trout and Snapper. Only real player, a 22 inch Sail Cat. Back to the Estuary, Tween area was a little on the scary side, no Tarpon, one oversized Snook, no hit. Then it was watching a shadow cruising the Mangroves, first thought, Shark. Wrong, super sized Snook, not geared for fish this big. Did not even waste the cast. Sight fishing for Sheepshead was a minor disaster, lost one big one and boated 2 shorts. Challenging to get them on the Baby Vudu Shrimp. Hoping for conditions to improve so that I can get them on the fly rod.
All players released for future encounters.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,421 AG
    How long you stay in the game? ....I was on the trailer before Bill. Some snook and for the second day in a row...a Cubera snapper. Saw a few reds that would not eat.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • FlecFlec Posts: 409 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    How long you stay in the game? ....I was on the trailer before Bill. Some snook and for the second day in a row...a Cubera snapper. Saw a few reds that would not eat.

So ,,we have cubera's in the lagoon? I think I may have caught one 2 weeks ago. I just figured he was a big mangrove,,but he had much more vivid vertical stripes and fought like a 20" snook.
  • jhdog13jhdog13 Posts: 142 Deckhand
    back in @ 1830. Head North, report of Stud Reds and loads of Snook. Did not give a good location.
    Flec wrote: »
    So ,,we have cubera's in the lagoon? I think I may have caught one 2 weeks ago. I just figured he was a big mangrove,,but he had much more vivid vertical stripes and fought like a 20" snook.

Yes, I actually caught them on back to back days...Mon & Tues...but apparently, they get wise to the game after two times..:wink

I caught one last October..and thought the same as you and was looking at it and it just did not seen "right"... my son corrected me on it.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    jhdog13 wrote: »
    back in @ 1830. Head North, report of Stud Reds and loads of Snook. Did not give a good location.

Well, that was 9 1/2 more hours than I had the ability to survive.... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    3gXvgmgtcnm7CccGXjvsB3Gkw_bX9WvXl8VfNgyXq-HHX2QGm3Nj4qmnsBLRuMdwzkJC5HJfqZ2-eOn32Q6ye6xjbqaXX86IcCaJPRHS-TpE-Z1FwoMlylVcQ0R1FE5TaURZXFUdrMtREaZzUTAzUDSoaqbG6XuvzVC2kJh1QvXgO7Ygjnk5G9BvUrDfjJvVuCklHcKyRjRcttx3vRVr_0hA1ev8IpJ7Es2jRAZzoYMOnXp4Id7_6J7HUkL6nSbgqTxJbBoZEeuXd6NMssxcTC32KOgiUOGQCKXBsA-QKyjo11ZUw1EBzSJvBHAp9jPkgnGbIo4LOGPgBTPJzslopQ12DOZvl374iyqLBoAmvZVMG9JgkOc9oFN_oLd39Wxf50hAebtRZnVyJVv2BZDXKr-ZFYhgIoaZsndbRlNTra64Sm_mPTkD98stG3VigRSwn-NN6XyrM4hfNsm5wEjeoX2lntLjYeicg168yzzhyZ4wq0mSCjpkhSkQIFuaJqjt9rHGNKo73_WBXCmcVaehvF6TQb-qbLVQiZ1jFOAJxLkC6oAi3Tl3ikBjtUhWXOgy1VF78arPc1xb8VC_MgGjT3D0XEeMQeR1_JPFHr_etw-GnnxpgKREIxVn=w594-h1056-no
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Thanks for the test shot John...I guess I'm back posting.... :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Yes, I actually caught them on back to back days...Mon & Tues...but apparently, they get wise to the game after two times..:wink

I caught one last October..and thought the same as you and was looking at it and it just did not seen "right"... my son corrected me on it.

Topwater Cubera

kTDyQUMRCFQ1dD5nAXDa_-fBEnWPCcJpVLkVnLcFQc5DnFhwK1bLfXwFCZLCeDzUEwPLP9mkoi9or9gjICQHfQft3gpR1_rltoHuattlB_lXaWDUdHrsqYseo06rx4-ovmL_G9mABWejaq2HQ0KEz5vF1uqXcuBse-KxZZga0FPFpy0ZqXkGm_DhVofRbMd0bxP7U_beAub4eZ9XtR33UgbQd0rmZKBoyvti3PGfbdRrXiFInV4_BRBI9Bw90aP6pcDg2uEF_jnCitcmTltv1W4THXXY-BgvIIsTRpAqD5taMMKK4FknJgIw4pB_eJzw-RF2dbLiuV_2RkKp51Kr4-XTslwtc_9893BRf24vtMqJLwl6hHbzi9v4LYQHWRC7WV9aSd4AIpr0bcLipMsOgjk_gGxzaQBqux-reNtV6TulQNnaMPfXd_OviwT-Qo0_skbDeAkXHRIiu37g9N6gqaU-sz8t9HAjkX0roBnFVBHkZcau5nnXrdyi61b1uTs-uihPJuBIsjMI-qCThe3DwlAp_CTwJ_D5TJ2TKnwK8xmnwfPIkb_kQ9Ac6INkrp7Smma1JdsyMLO_SMzi7kYCMDh_Rdq9WMdroNpBjYyDWmoSMz7GETPH7Pn-=w594-h1056-no
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,701 Captain
    4 inch Snapper, 10 inch Sheepshead and short Trout

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?246795-Nurseries-in-Operation#ixzz4mzFJ5921
    Oh no! You stole Duckmans slam right there! :rotflmao
    tunaman wrote: »
    4 inch Snapper, 10 inch Sheepshead and short Trout

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?246795-Nurseries-in-Operation#ixzz4mzFJ5921
    Oh no! You stole Duckmans slam right there! :rotflmao

Better be careful...you don't want ** ANOTHER ** time out at BANNED camp.... :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,701 Captain
    Better be careful...you don't want ** ANOTHER ** time out at BANNED camp.... :rotflmao

You ain't banning anyone, Ducky!!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    may also be a dog snapper

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file