1998? Yamaha 150 identification help

bbusbeybbusbey Posts: 64 Deckhand
Unsure of model, the tag is all worn off. I need to find how more info on this motor because the previous owner (i hope) disconnected the RPM gauge. Reason being i believe, they removed the oil reservoir and went to pre-mix, now the oil light and alarm would activate. For obvious reasons, i need this hooked back up.

I can clearly see a V6 150 that they spray painted over...

Disregard the ugly green lettering. That will all be replaced with the appropriate stickers.

Replies

• bbusbeybbusbey Posts: 64 Deckhand
    anyone have any updates?
  • surfmansurfman Posts: 3,496 Captain
    I would try Yamaha, You should be able to locate a serial number somewhere on the block but, I can't tell you where to look. Not sure if you have tried it yet but sometimes Google works pretty well. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Looks like a Saltwater Series II OX66...
  • geositegeosite Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    bbusbey wrote: »
    Unsure of model, the tag is all worn off. I need to find how more info on this motor because the previous owner (i hope) disconnected the RPM gauge. Reason being i believe, they removed the oil reservoir and went to pre-mix, now the oil light and alarm would activate. For obvious reasons, i need this hooked back up.

I can clearly see a V6 150 that they spray painted over...

Disregard the ugly green lettering. That will all be replaced with the appropriate stickers.

What I believe you have is a Non-US Yamaha global 150AETX. The fuel filter and bracket is the giveaway. It's an old school outboard still being marketed today outside the US. It"s a very durable engine but it has never been equipped with oil injection. They are not sold here because they will not meet US emission standards. https://global.yamaha-motor.com/business/outboards/products/2st/200-150/

I would suggest using Yamaha Pro Series Analog tach without the oil light (part #6Y5-83540-14-00)...or an after-market analog tach.

Hope this helps.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,899 Admiral
    I'll shoot some pics of my 01 F150 tomorrow so you can compare blocks.
    look at this picture.. it has the V6 150 on the back but has been painted over. the one linked above doesnt have this on the back. also, the sides i think have different graphics.

that said, i used to have a Saltwater Series ii and remember those words being on they cowling. i am not seeing it on this one..
    look at this picture.. it has the V6 150 on the back but has been painted over. the one linked above doesnt have this on the back. also, the sides i think have different graphics.

that said, i used to have a Saltwater Series ii and remember those words being on they cowling. i am not seeing it on this one..

Disclaimer from the same link...at the bottom of the page -

The lineups of outboard models offered differ by country or area. Product names, coloring and graphics may also differ. The specifications of outboards shown on this website may be changed or production discontinued without notice.
    Always read your owner's manual before using the outboard and be sure to use it properly.
    Direct inquiries concerning Yamaha outboards to your country's distributor or local dealership..
    and this is different than what ReelHazard posted, suggesting it was a Saltwater Series II OX66 ...

ReelHazard, do you agree with Geosite?
    No disrespect intended to ReelHazard...
    If your engine was, indeed, a Saltwater Series II "OX66" it would have fuel injection, not carburetors.
    so, which model would you say i have then? when ordering or looking up parts, obviously i need to type in a model number. furthermore, isnt there a 2nd identification tag on the block or something? seems odd that only 1 small metal tag is the only way to 100% tell.

On NADA for the boat, these are the only models it came with.

http://www.ebasicpower.com/faq/yamahamodels.htm
    Well, upon further research I find I have been mistaken. I hate when that happens...and sadly that seems to happen more as I age. :banghead
    I now think it's safe to say you have a C150TXRW.

go to this site - http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com/SyndicateNav.cfm

and follow the steps at the "Start here to locate a part" link.
    Step 1 - outboard
    Step 2 - 150hp
    Step 3 - C150 2 stroke
    Step 4 - C150TXRW 1998
    Step 5 - parts categories

Once you see the parts breakdowns I think you'll agree.

Sorry for the confusion.
    unable to log into site :(
    and thanks!!!
    unable to log into site :(

Ok...let's try this -

Go to http://yamahaoutboards.com/
    Click on the "Parts & Maintenance" link and select "Parts Lookup".
    Then follow the steps listed above.
    thx again
  • mik8881mik8881 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Is there a tilt/trim switch on the motor (port side) ? From the pics it doesn't look like there is. If not its a C series (commercial series) . C series did not come with oil reservoirs or trim/tilt on the motor.

I have the same motor C150TLRW . Its a beast runs strong but the fuel consumption is ridiculous. I'm getting rid of it come the new year.

If it is a C series and you are still having an alarm you may not be mixing your fuel right. I've never had an alarm go off and I personally prefer mixing my own .
    Guys, thanks for the responses.

I am having a problem getting it started when cold. I have to crank on it for up to 5 min and eventually starts. no problems getting it started back once its warmed up. i can go all day without a problem. im thinking there is a problem with the choke. the key has the ability to push in, which in some motors activates the choke, right? but on my motor there is a choke pull knob. seems i can pull that thing all the way out and then flops around, like it has disconnected and not working. possibly this is my problem?

a month ago, i was out and had a hard time getting past idle and it would bog down. i checked the fuel line and primer, noticed the primer bulb was all sucked in. i purchased this and no more problems, though i notice this isnt fully inflated most of the time and i have a problem getting past it. i can definatly feel the fuel being pushed through when im priming it though. on the motor, i see it dumping fuel into the filter assembly so i know its working. just wanted to point out this problem.. may not be related at all.

so my main issue is that i have a hard time starting and dont want to burn up the starter which i know is going to happen. because it starts no problem once warmed up, i know it isnt the spark plugs. im thinking its the choke but i am not having any luck finding the part on the diagram list below. the link probably works but most likely not on the correct page..

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com/SyndicateNav.cfm?NodeID=1472875&Page=1
    You have to cold start these motors. Prime ball, take it out of gear and up to 1/2-3/4 throttle , turn key with choke and should start right up.

I'd also change your plugs , put an inline water separator and run some sea foam.
    thanks for the response. also for the private message info..

so about the choke.. is my knob possibly broken? does the key actually choke it if i push it in? im 81% sure that i had the 1/2 throttle going when i was trying the other day. it has happened the last 2 times i have taken it out. i will attempt in the yard this week before taking it out on Saturday.. possibly get it going before i sit at the ramp..
    Key choke should work if not use the one on the motor . Are your butterfly valves seating properly when you choke the motor. May need a carb adjustment, I don't mess with carbs I leave that to professionals.

You checked/replaced plugs ? Check your plug wires ($10 tester) . Good compression? I'd definitely put an inline water separator . The filter on the motor should have red ring in it if it's floating you have water if its on the bottom you should be ok. Nonetheless I'd put an inline separator and change regularly.

If I'm not leaving at 5am I try and cold start motor before I head to the ramp .
    Is there a way to test if the key choke is working? for that matter, the knob too..??

grabbed a pic from the beginning of this post. the red ring is on the bottom, so i have no water. though this is good info to know. i always wondered what it actually was in there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=241652&d=1499813591
    I don't know how to check it . Try finding "Jethro" on here or THT he's a wealth of knowledge with these older Yamaha's. The bottom solenoid to the left of that filter (green and blue posts ) is your trim solenoid and where you can wire a trim switch if you wanted .
    Small update.. motor started right up at 3/4 throttle and primed the bulb 6 or so times.. neighbors werent too happy about that. i wasnt expecting it and didnt have my hand on the throttle to simmer it down from yelling so loudly haha
    I told you to be ready to throttle down . Good to hear what you thought was a problem isn't .

Curious have you ever did e a compression test on your motor ? If so what were the readings ? I'm getting 90 on all 6 and was curious if this was normal on these C series.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 451 Deckhand
    I've been running a pair of these engines for 20 years now and can tell you that they are bullet proof! Make sure fuel pumps are good and fuel lines are clear. You should hear the choke when you push in the key. They are definitely hard starting when cold, but not that hard. You may be flooding the carbs with excessive choking. Good luck.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,773 Admiral
    Is that rusty water in bottom of fuel filter?
    23895.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file