Snorkeling near Cudjoe Key

Buc FanBuc Fan Posts: 67 Deckhand
I'm looking for some good snorkel areas near VO on Cudjoe Key. I'm bringing the family down this summer with our boat. I'm hoping to find areas that are easy to get to and not too deep. Something good for someone without much experience. Thanks.

• NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 474 Deckhand
    We used to take our son, who was 5 at the time, out to the lighthouse at American Shoals. If the wind kicked up we would drive down to Bahia Honda and just snorkel from the beach.
  • magdielr21magdielr21 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Looe Key is located 10 nautical miles southwest of the Bahia Honda Channel and is marked by 70 buoys. Depths range from 5 to 70 feet, with deeper areas of the dive occasionally having dangerous currents.
    Waypoint: LOOEKY Latitude Longitude
    Degrees 24.545 -81.4083333333333
    N 24 32.700
    W 81 24.500
    N 24 32 42.000
    W 81 24 30.000
  • hlangbhlangb Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Munson island- little palm key Big corals marked with buoys-Yellow? good to snorkel- go out channel from cudjoe to atlantic turn east 3 miles
    Mad max
  • Buc FanBuc Fan Posts: 67 Deckhand
    @NSB Photog and Magdielr21- I have considered both of these areas. But, I have a small boat and will be at max capacity. I don't want to go off into the Atlantic unless it is very calm and staying that way. We may book a snorkel trip to Looe Key out of Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center. I'm looking for something closer and fairly easy to snorkel for younger kids from our boat.

@hlangb-This looks pretty good. We will probably check this area out.

I've been told that the Content Key area is good. But, I've also been told that it can be tricky to get there and you really have to watch the tides.
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    I would not suggest Looe Key with an at capacity small boat . It is beautiful there and worth the trip but not with the conditions you describe as you said it can get rough there quick.
    I would also advise you drive to Bahia Honda and walk in from shore. It would be a perfect spot for younger children with lots of Queen Conch to look at along with Jack Knife fish. It's just a fun and beautiful snorkel spot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file