Bahamas checklist

Keep'r WetKeep'r Wet Posts: 28 Greenhorn
There was a great bahamas trip checklist on this forum in the tropical sportsman section before they rennovated the website. Does anybody no where I can find that list????

Replies

• C Skip RC Skip R Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Yes his screen name was Compleat I believe. Haven't seen him on here since the changes in the website.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 224 Deckhand
    OK, so let's start from scratch...I'm not an experienced crosser but I got this last year from this site.

Boat Items:
    * All Coast Guard required gear [flares, PFDs, etc.]
    * Boat Papers (Registration, Insurance Info.)
    * Quarantine flag and Bahamas Flag and US Flag (with necessary mounting clips)
    * Current charts (Paper and electronic)
    * Tools (at least wiring tools, extra wire, trim/tilt screw driver, tie wraps, wrenches, volt meter, angle cutters that can cut through hooks)
    * Impeller and prop seal parts and fuel filters
    * Extra oil (steering and engine)
    * EPIRB
    * Handheld GPS with extra batteries (enter important points)
    * Handheld VHF with extra batteries
    * Dock lines
    * Q-beam/Handheld spotlight
    * Well-stocked first aid kit
    * Float plan on file
    * Fenders
    * Cable for locking steering wheel
    * Cleaning supplies and garden hose
    * Hand Towels
    * Filet knives, sharpener and Gallon sized Ziploc Bags
    pens
    Prop wench
    Itouch
    charger

Personal Items:
    * Passports
    * Cash
    * Sunscreen
    bonine
    * Tooth Brush
    * Foul weather gear
    * Dive Gear
    * Mask, fins, snorkel, gloves, weightbelts, rashgaurds, defog
    * Polespears, slings, shafts, tips, file for sharpening
    * Cameras and underwater housing
    * Cell Phones, Ipods, chargers…
    bug repellent
    Pelican case
    Turn off internet on blackberry, set up international calling
    Food and Cooking:
    * Seasonings, fruits, vegetables, meats, bread, snacks…
    * Beer and Liquor
    * Water and Sodas
    Ice (as much as you can reasonably carry)
    paper towels
    * Plates, utensils, napkins

Things to do:
    * Add important points to gps

Fishing
    *Regulations
    *Leader, 50 mono
    *Leader…mutton
    *Leader…Grouper
    *weight
    *Ballyhoo
    *cut bait
    *chum
    *Oats and scoop
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,149 Admin
    Time to dream those island dreams. Please add your tips and tricks to ensure a successful and safe trip for first-timers and old pros alike.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Compleat (Paul) is still on here - running a couple of tournaments out of Bimini.

For a checklist, the first few pages from this thread may be helpful.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?58616-The-Bahamas-Chronicle-A-month-on-the-other-side&highlight=chronicle
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Any money or gift for the custom agent?
  • SwaggywaggySwaggywaggy Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Were planning on crossing mid sept in 2 go fast anyone have any info on amounts of liquer and beer we can bring
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 483 Deckhand
    Were planning on crossing mid sept in 2 go fast anyone have any info on amounts of liquer and beer we can bring

As much as I can fit in my center fish box.

36ea53b93ebf849e72ce4d1487550be5.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    Haha nice. Do they limit you of how much you can bring. I heard they may or may not board your boat at customs. We will be there for 12 days we were wanting something like 10- 30 packs per boat. And several bottles of liquer. Yall think thst will fly
    Is there legal limits that you can bring We were thinking 10-30 packs per boat and sevaral bottles of bourben i heard they may or may not board your boat
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Is there legal limits that you can bring We were thinking 10-30 packs per boat and sevaral bottles of bourben i heard they may or may not board your boat

The limit of alcohol you can import into the Bahamas duty-free is one quart total of any combination of beer, wine, and spirits. Bona fide ship stores intended for use by the crew on board the vessel are not subject to import duties. What constitutes bona fide is going to be up to the judgement of your customs officer.

Very generally -- at least a decade ago with no reason to think it has changed -- Bahamian customs do not concern themselves closely with alcohol aboard pleasure craft entering the Bahamas. Be professional, courteous and respectful and you are very likely to not have any problem with what the amounts and for the duration you describe - especially if you have some guests along for the ride.

Bahamas Customs Department - Inward Report for Pleasure Vessels [PDF]

You can complete that report online and print it prior to departure. Leave the Date/Time Field blank until arrival. For the Stores on Board field, we've always used "Food and alcohol for consumption on board." without any difficulties or need to itemize -- though there is a worksheet for this purpose. Basically doing an inventory check on every bottle of hooch that enters the Bahamas from the United States aboard pleasure craft would impose a significant diversion of limited resources. Be smart and courteous and you'll likely not encounter any difficulties.

Kind of like the photo posted above, we've always packed our items in a manner that didn't attract unwanted attention -- mainly to prevent attracting opportunistic theft from our boat -- but not in a manner that conveys concealment.

Be warned - they are dead serious about importation of firearms. You will want to very precisely declare every firearm and every single round of ammunition aboard at the risk of non-trivial penalty. If you routinely carry firearms or ammunition on your boat in the US, I would add that to your pre-passage check regardless if you intend on carrying and declaring in the Bahamas. Carrying and not declaring would be breathtakingly stupid and a potentially very regrettable, kind of life-altering decision.

I'd also caution you to physically verify every passenger's passport before embarking. A missing passport at check-in will likely cause delay for everyone - not just the deficient passenger.
    Cylinder wrote: »
    The limit of alcohol you can import into the Bahamas duty-free is one quart total of any combination of beer, wine, and spirits. Bona fide ship stores intended for use by the crew on board the vessel are not subject to import duties. What constitutes bona fide is going to be up to the judgement of your customs officer.

Very generally -- at least a decade ago with no reason to think it has changed -- Bahamian customs do not concern themselves closely with alcohol aboard pleasure craft entering the Bahamas. Be professional, courteous and respectful and you are very likely to not have any problem with what the amounts and for the duration you describe - especially if you have some guests along for the ride.

Bahamas Customs Department - Inward Report for Pleasure Vessels [PDF]

You can complete that report online and print it prior to departure. Leave the Date/Time Field blank until arrival. For the Stores on Board field, we've always used "Food and alcohol for consumption on board." without any difficulties or need to itemize -- though there is a worksheet for this purpose. Basically doing an inventory check on every bottle of hooch that enters the Bahamas from the United States aboard pleasure craft would impose a significant diversion of limited resources. Be smart and courteous and you'll likely not encounter any difficulties.

Kind of like the photo posted above, we've always packed our items in a manner that didn't attract unwanted attention -- mainly to prevent attracting opportunistic theft from our boat -- but not in a manner that conveys concealment.

Be warned - they are dead serious about importation of firearms. You will want to very precisely declare every firearm and every single round of ammunition aboard at the risk of non-trivial penalty. If you routinely carry firearms or ammunition on your boat in the US, I would add that to your pre-passage check regardless if you intend on carrying and declaring in the Bahamas. Carrying and not declaring would be breathtakingly stupid and a potentially very regrettable, kind of life-altering decision.

I'd also caution you to physically verify every passenger's passport before embarking. A missing passport at check-in will likely cause delay for everyone - not just the deficient passenger.

Thanks thats some great info. We are aware of the firearms and we will fully respect any laws and regulations they have.
    Were crossing sept 16, to port lucyna to clear customs. 2 nights at taino then on to elbow cay to a house we rented for remaneder of the trip. Were using sea spray marina while in elbow cay And plan on crosskng back over sept 23. Anyone see a problem with skipping west end and goin straight to port lucya to clear customs And how about sea spray any word on that.
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Anyone see a problem with skipping west end and goin straight to port lucya to clear customs?

That's really not going to raise any issues. Technically the requirement is to check in at the nearest port of entry, but that plan is perfectly reasonable. If your plan was to fish your way over to Marsh flying the Q, I'd probably advise to stop at West End first.
    Thanks anyone else heading over the morning of sept 16.
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Many people go right past west end to check in elsewhere. I wouldn't give that a second thought.
    2003 Viking 45C
    Slipkid wrote: »
    Many people go right past west end to check in elsewhere. I wouldn't give that a second thought.

Thanks or all the great info! We're leaving Owensbor,KY in 7 days to trailer the boats down hope the weather cooperates for our early Friday crossing we will be in Newport cove marina riveria beach Thursday evening if anyone else will be around be great to talk firsthand to Peaple for any last minute advice
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,393 AG
    Were crossing sept 16, to port lucyna to clear customs. 2 nights at taino then on to elbow cay to a house we rented for remaneder of the trip. Were using sea spray marina while in elbow cay And plan on crosskng back over sept 23. Anyone see a problem with skipping west end and goin straight to port lucya to clear customs And how about sea spray any word on that.

When going to Elbow we have always stopped in at West End if still open. We do the Fl to Elbow in one day. Where are you staying in Elbow? We have used Sea Spray and the Scotia House just east (has a dock). Great places.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    When going to Elbow we have always stopped in at West End if still open. We do the Fl to Elbow in one day. Where are you staying in Elbow? We have used Sea Spray and the Scotia House just east (has a dock). Great places.

We're staying at southern cross its off old white sound road real close to sea spray. So is sea spray nice marina?
    Any thoughts on the upcoming disturbance off the coast of africa
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 611 Officer
    Al Bundy wrote: »
    OK, so let's start from scratch...I'm not an experienced crosser but I got this last year from this site.

* Quarantine flag and Bahamas Flag and US Flag (with necessary mounting clips)

What's the deal with the flags? I've never done a crossing before. Might want to try it at some point. I don't carry any flags on my boat normally. Do I need them to go to the Bahamas?
  • BillablehoursBillablehours Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    BryanC wrote: »
    What's the deal with the flags? I've never done a crossing before. Might want to try it at some point. I don't carry any flags on my boat normally. Do I need them to go to the Bahamas?

You are supposed to fly a yellow quarantine flag upon entering your first port of call into a new country. Once clearing customs and immigrations you can take it down and fly a Bahamian courtesy flag (not a Bahamian flag which generally is flown by Bahamian vessels) along with an American flag signifying the vessels country if you wish.
    2013 World Cat 290CC (sold)
    2009 Pathfinder 2200XL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file