June trip captiva rod and reel advice

Ok heading down in June to chase beach snook around redfish pass. I have two stradics 3000/4000 on Avids ML/M 7 footers. I feel like I am good for the beach snook with those two rods. I would also like to throw out a rod for some small shark or a tarpon if they come by. I would like to be able to throw some bigger Hogy or flarehawks with it as well. I would also like to be able to throw out some live bait at cape coral pier for sharks and whatever else is around. I know that this should be multiple rigs but I have money for one. Keep in mind it must be able to get on a plane so 7"6" is max on southwest I believe.

option 1 lexa 400 hd. In theory I could use this to Muskie fish up here if I ever started Muskie fishing or to cast for stripers below the ****( once or twice a year). It could be used for big flatheads as well.

Option 2 saragosa 8000 which I could use to cast for stripers and would cast the hogys very nicely.

Option 3 Thunnus 8000 which would be nice for the live bait for both down there and flatheads up here and would work for casting the hogys in a pinch.

The rods I am clueless about I figure I would find a reel first. Any and all ideas would be welcome. I go to the sanibel area twice a year max and the stradics get used up here all the time so I am trying to get the best bang for the buck with this combo as it will not get used near as much. Would spend up to 500 on this combo if needed (I try to buy quality fishing equipment as it tends to pay for itself in the long run). Watched a young man catch two small sharks and an 8ft sawfish on cape coral pier while I threw a jig for Snook and figured If I had a bait rod out it would add to the fun.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,578 Captain
    I'd go with the saragosa
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,362 Admiral
    I'd second that.
  • PhlypperPhlypper Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Don't overlook the new Diawa BG. Though half to a third of the price of the reels you mentioned, I have bought the 2000, 2500, and 3000 sizes, and have been impressed, especially given the price. My Smokes have been resting in the rod holders since I got the BGs. The larger sizes put out a fair amount of drag, not quite what a Cabo can, but fair (33 lbs for 8000 size).

I did manage to break the 3000. When my local tackle shop told their rep, the rep immediately told them to do a free trade because they wanted to study it since it had not happened before.

There is an in depth technical review of the BGs at http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html
    Phlypper... the BG is a good recommendation but the OP used those 3 as his choices because (I believe) he already owns them. Correct me if I'm wrong though. :)
  • Hobbs28midsouthHobbs28midsouth Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    No I do not own them I just picked them more on the type of reel than the brand. That being said I have only owned Shimano and kinda biased. The true question is really what should my next rod and reel be for traveling down there. I got schooled at Sanibel pier by a large snook and also at blind pass. Both were on my 4000 stradic. No way I was keeping the snook out of the pilings at Sanibel with that rod and reel. I caught a 30" snook at the cape coral pier on the 4000 with slack tide and I felt like with a heavy tide I might have had an issue as well. Now mind you I was fishing a New Avid medium action and did not really know how much I could lean on it. I fished the beach last Sept with the 3000 and with no structure around and thought it was perfect but I didnt hook anything over 35 inches.

I would like to be able to throw bigger lures for snook and at tarpon if they come by. I was also hoping I could throw some cut bait out while casting for snook at the pier for some small shark or other misc fish. More than likely I am looking at two combos but that isnt happening soon.

The problem is I like light tackle and that is just a no go around structure for these fish. That being said I am open to all options and suggestions. I am leaning towards a 6000/8000 class shimano spinner (whatever deal I find twin power, saragosa, sustain) paired with a 7'6" med heavy to heavy with 40 or 50 braid. The problem is the stupid Lexa 400 hd wont completely leave my thoughts lol. I would use it more up here than the spinner but I know it is having issues with the salt water. I know one rod will not be perfect for all on this I would just like suggestions. I would like to keep it under 500 and it has to be under 7'6".
    Just did some reading on the BG now I have another thing to consider thanks lol
  • mchmch Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I think you're fine with the 4k reel, just use heavier line, a stouter rod and more drag to keep it out of the pilings. I feel like wether you have an 8k or a 4k reel isnt going to be what makes the difference around structure. The bigger reel would be more for preventing getting spooled on open beach by a tarpon or a shark. Im going down in july and I just bought a penn battalion 7' rated 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz for snook on the bridges at night. If something kicks my a*s on a bridge with that thing so be it. Its like a telephone pole. The rod cost around $110
    I disagree with mch. Not to be rude, but tarponator and I do this hundreds of times a year and you live in PA. Not that a 4k sized reel won't work around structure... but it's definitely easier with a larger reel. It's not just the drag, it's the mechanical torque advantage you have with a larger reel. For instance... I have a Smoke 50 with 27 lbs of drag... ANY of the 8000 sized reels I have dominates it around structure. And yes... I've tried it paired with larger poles.
    And this one you can't forget... if you hook into an adult tarpon while sitting on a pier, or the beach, your chances of getting it in goes down substantially on a 4k sized reel. Watch this video as a reference:
    Leaning towards a Diawa BG5000 paired with something. Still no clue on the rod
    There's a ton of good rods around 100-150. Can you handle any where you live? Maybe wait on the rod until you get down here and go check out a few local tackle shops and see what you like.
    Couple decent rods but by no means the best or silver bullet:
    Hurricane Redbone XH (less than $100)
    Shimano Terramar (can't remember the size)... usually around $150'ish
    Star Stellar Lite (again, can't remember the size)... usually around $150'ish
    And many, many others.
    Probably go with the Redbone and make the combo the best bang for the buck since I wont use it a ton. Or i will buck the system and get a lexa 400 hd and start muskie fishing.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,189 Officer
    When you get down here make a trip to Lehr's in North Fort Myers and buy your setup here. They will get you going right away and you can worry about shipping it home when you're done.
  • JohnABJohnAB Posts: 151 Deckhand
    FYI.. that bay side sea wall at the end of Captiva is loaded with snook at slack tide during that time of year.
    Thanks JohnAB for the tip! Still have a hard time with the tides so any help is great. I planned on hitting redfish pass a ton and the beach sight fishing in the morning. Just something about sight fishing and walking that beach that calms the soul till a big snook hits. I was hoping to use this combo to cast bigger swim baits in case a rogue tarpon was around. I will check out Lehr's but I most likely would want to use it up here first. Put some braid on it and tie it to my 13 year old son and tell him to start running lol plus I may fish the **** at Lake Cumberland for some stripers or try my hand at Muskies before June.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 443 Deckhand
    The lexa 400 will work just fine for large baits or lures. Most salt water guys in Florida are scared to death of the evil bait caster. I use mine for large live pinfish and big chunks of cut bait. It will cast a mile and then some. Put 30 pound spider wire on it and lock the drag down. You can put a hurtin on a big redfish or snook with that set up.
    What rod do you have it paired with?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 443 Deckhand
    7 foot ugly stick. Medium heavy.
    Went with a Lexa 400 hd with a 9ft MH 2pc tackle industries muskie rod. Also bought a BG5000 and still have yet to find rod for it. Trying to find a 9ft 2pc that will work for me.
  • ryansryanryansryan Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I'm actually heading down this Thursday from Palm Coast up in Northeast Florida. I've had good luck in the past with the beach snook but would like some advice on the beach Tarpon. Any tips on putting out bait for the beach tarpon? I've got the equipment to handle the tarpon just not sure what setup/bait might give be the best option for hooking up. Thanks in advance for any information.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    I'm not much of a tarpon fisherman so take it for what its worth. While tarpon will come in casting range of the shore, (mostly early) you may have better luck, especially if there are swimmers, kayaking a bait out or fishing from the yak. Live pins or threadfins, fished anyway you please. Ladyfish, mullet and mackerel all make fine live, whole or cut baits too. Other fish will also be accepted by tarpon, like small jacks, whiting or silver trout for example. If they are hungry, they will almost always take a easy meal. You may get some shark action too, but if you stick with mono leader, most will cut you off and you can get back to tarpon fishing. If you see bait pods, match the hatch. If they are eating glass minnows, they may only eat those when they are being picky. I have caught them fishing for mackerel on small pilchards right at the idle buoys too. Good luck.
  • Atudor0006Atudor0006 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks JohnAB for the tip! Still have a hard time with the tides so any help is great. I planned on hitting redfish pass a ton and the beach sight fishing in the morning. Just something about sight fishing and walking that beach that calms the soul till a big snook hits. I was hoping to use this combo to cast bigger swim baits in case a rogue tarpon was around. I will check out Lehr's but I most likely would want to use it up here first. Put some braid on it and tie it to my 13 year old son and tell him to start running lol plus I may fish the **** at Lake Cumberland for some stripers or try my hand at Muskies before June.

Hey, fellow Kentuckian here (at least I think, since you mentioned Cumberland). We're headed to Cape Coral at the end of June/ beginning of July. Do you mind letting me know how you did and sharing any tips. We will be staying on a canal not far from the river, just south of 4 mile cove and will have a boat. We are mainly looking for big game. Sharks, Tarpon, Goliath grouper etc... any tips would be more than appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file