NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement

NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/index.html

Our Mission

NOAA Fisheries is responsible for the stewardship of the nation's ocean resources and their habitat. We provide vital services for the nation: productive and sustainable fisheries, safe sources of seafood, the recovery and conservation of protected resources, and healthy ecosystems—all backed by sound science and an ecosystem-based approach to management.

U.S. fisheries are among the world’s largest and most sustainable. Seafood harvested from U.S. federally managed fisheries is inherently sustainable as a result of the U.S. fishery management process. Using the Magnuson-Stevens Act as the guide, NOAA Fisheries works in partnership with Regional Fishery Management Councils to assess and predict the status of fish stocks, set catch limits, ensure compliance with fisheries regulations, and reduce bycatch.

The resilience of our marine ecosystems and coastal communities depend on healthy marine species, including protected species such as whales, sea turtles, corals, and salmon. Under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Endangered Species Act, NOAA Fisheries works to recover protected marine species while allowing economic and recreational opportunities.

NOAA Fisheries, also known as the National Marine Fisheries Service, is an office of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration within the Department of Commerce. We have five regional offices, six science centers, and more than 20 laboratories around the United States and U.S. territories, and we work with partners across the nation.

To learn more about NOAA Fisheries and our work, sign up for FishNews, our weekly e-newsletter.
My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
Special Agent Allan Coker
NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement

Replies

• NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Marked trucks for NOAA's Enforcement Officers.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/faqs.html#regulations

NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement has plain clothes Special Agents and Uniform Enforcement Officers.

What are the differences between OLE’s enforcement officers and special agents?

All sworn personnel have the authority to interview witnesses, gather intelligence and evidence, as well as execute search warrants. The primary difference is that enforcement officers conduct patrols and short term investigations, write summary settlements, and offer face-to-face interaction with the public, while special agents conduct longer term, complex investigations and undercover operations.

What is the difference between NOAA’s Office of Law Enforcement and State Resource Enforcement?

State officers are responsible for enforcing state laws and regulations within the state’s jurisdiction. They are also sometimes responsible for terrestrial regulations (e.g., hunting, forestry, or land). NOAA’s special agents and enforcement officers enforce federal laws and regulations only.

NOAA's Enforcement Officers enforce federal laws and regulations within the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), which is from 3/9 miles to 200 miles offshore. They also enforce any violations of the Endangered Species Act, Marine Mammal Act wherever they might occur and international treaties and obligations on the high seas.

Yes.

Law enforcement officers who are members of a partner agency are authorized under NOAA's cooperative enforcement agreements to perform duties relating to the law enforcement provisions of any marine resource law authorized by the U.S. Secretary of Commerce and any regulations under those laws.[/B]
    How do I report a violation?

NOAA Fisheries Enforcement Hotline (1-800-853-1964) provides live operator coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for anyone in the United States to report a federal fisheries violation. During regular business hours, you also can call the closest Office of Law Enforcement field office to report alleged possible violation or one of the five division headquarters offices.
    Southeast Division Contacts

Tracy Dunn
    Assistant Director

Manny Antonaras
    Deputy Special Agent in Charge

263 13th Avenue South
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    (727) 824-5344

I encourage you to reach out to your closest NOAA-OLE office and local FWC, if you have questions.

Southeast Field Offices

Port Orange, FL (386) 492-6686
    Morehead City, NC (252) 726-0314
    Charleston, SC (843) 554-9896
    Miami, FL (954) 746-4160
    Marathon, FL (305) 743-3110
    Guaynabo, PR (787) 749-4405
    Aguadilla, PR (787) 890-0715
    Niceville, FL (850) 729-8628
    St. Petersburg, FL (727) 824-5344
    Galveston, TX (409) 770-0812
    Harlingen, TX (956) 423-3450
    Slidell, LA (985) 643-6232

TIP LINE

TO REPORT A VIOLATION, PLEASE
    CALL THE NOAA
    ENFORCEMENT HOTLINE.

1-800-853-1964

Open 24 hours
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Does NOAA have a SWAT Team? This is not a Smart Asssssss question. I saw a news article recently that discussed how many Government agencies had SWAT teams. The IRS for God's sake! Due to the increase in world terrorism Law Enforcement is becoming much more militant in performing their daily duties. Officer friendly is becoming scarcer and scarcer. Under Government excess distribution programs a lot of small towns got armored vehicles. I just don't think that every Government agency needs a Law Enforcement Branch. In my area I think there are five different agencies with enforcement authority on the Bay. Getting checked multiple times on the same day by different agencies is not uncommon and if you display an attitude about it you risk getting arrested.
    Couldn't we cut out a bunch of these departmental Law Enforcement branches and use U.S. Marshals assigned to those agencies.
    Sorry about the rant, seeing than NOAA is in the law enforcement business made me think that now there is another agency that can stop me on the water and check my safety equipment and my catch.
    No swat team
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,342 Admiral
    Hey NOAA...

How in the hell can you be so spectacularly incompetent and still have jobs?

Oh that's right, you work for the government. Your two most important jobs, to us anglers anyway, are predicting the weather and accurate assessment and fair allocation of fish stocks.

Both of which you suck at. Hugely.

My region is currently covered in red snapper but recreationals got a tiny sliver of a season. I was out this past Sunday...in 2-4 slop, much unlike the "less than 2 feet" your idiots predicted, releasing snapper after snapper, many of which were gut hooked, because fish **** sure swallow your mandatory circle hooks, especially when they're teeming and aggressive. It's a whole lot more damaging to wrench a circle hook out, even if it's in the jaw. I don't think most of you unaccountable pencil pushers have ever spent a whole lot of time on the water, you just oversee from afar.

You and your entire agency are truly the scum of the earth. Exactly what the founders warned us about.

I live here, I risk my life to go offshore, relying on your mostly wrong weather forecasts, spend tons of money, and can't even keep a fish for dinner, while commercials harvest thousands of pounds per trip.

Go **** yourself.
  • TampaTarpon5TampaTarpon5 Posts: 808 Officer
    tankard wrote: »
    Hey NOAA...

How in the hell can you be so spectacularly incompetent and still have jobs?

Oh that's right, you work for the government. Your two most important jobs, to us anglers anyway, are predicting the weather and accurate assessment and fair allocation of fish stocks.

Both of which you suck at. Hugely.

My region is currently covered in red snapper but recreationals got a tiny sliver of a season. I was out this past Sunday...in 2-4 slop, much unlike the "less than 2 feet" your idiots predicted, releasing snapper after snapper, many of which were gut hooked, because fish **** sure swallow your mandatory circle hooks, especially when they're teeming and aggressive. It's a whole lot more damaging to wrench a circle hook out, even if it's in the jaw. I don't think most of you unaccountable pencil pushers have ever spent a whole lot of time on the water, you just oversee from afar.

You and your entire agency are truly the scum of the earth. Exactly what the founders warned us about.

I live here, I risk my life to go offshore, relying on your mostly wrong weather forecasts, spend tons of money, and can't even keep a fish for dinner, while commercials harvest thousands of pounds per trip.

Go **** yourself.

mad on the internet
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Please refrain from injecting politics into threads. Thanks.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain
    Gota agree with Tankard. Got my *** kicked plenty of times when forecast was way wrong and those clowns don't even check their data to update it.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,560 Captain
    As you can see you NOAA people aren't very popular with individuals that like to fish and understand the reality of the situation. You are the enforcement arm of self serving manipulators that are lying about our fisheries for selfish reasons. Closing down recreational fishing is a tyrannical movement, you should be ashamed of your part in it...............
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file