9wt or 10wt for beach

Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Officer
I recently bought a 10wt for beach fishing in the summer probably only time other then mullet run ill use it so should i get a 9wt and sell 10wt?

Replies

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 702 Officer
    Are you fishing from a boat or walking the beach?
  • Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Officer
    from the beach from palm beach to broward
  • pazozausfpazozausf Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Walking the beach I have used 7-10wt. Really depends on what you what to throw. A 10wt may be a little big unless you are throwing at the 40" plus snook or tarpon. Generally the snook are 22"-36" which a 8wt would be more than enough. You don't have to horse fish on the beach. My biggest fish last year came on a 7wt. I'd say put together a combination that you are comfortable with throwing.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 702 Officer
    I would stick with the 10. It will help if you have shots at tarpon. I have seen people use 5wts for snook on the beach. I personally don't because 1 shark, tarpon or big jack and its either bye bye line or broken rod. The snook are also breeding so why not have a litte extra power to get them in faster
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 323 Deckhand
    I'd go with an 8 wt.
  • tunatakertunataker Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I fish those beaches from Jupiter to Hobe Sound. An 8wt is all you need. I overline my rod with a 9 wt intermediate line. Most of the snook I catch are on the small side.
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    What other rod weights do you own? If none, keep the 10 and add an 8wt if you can afford it. Gives you more versatility vs trading the 10 for a 9. Any time I travel where there is fishing in the salt, 8 & 10 come with me.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Blind casting a 10wt with large flies will wear you out fast. I can throw 3-3.5" baitfish flies on my 8wt all day and still feel confident of landing good size fish in surf. My biggest fish on an 8wt was a 42" redfish on the flats wading.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
    Nothing wrong with a 10wt, if that's what conditions call for. Bigger rods are nice on ugly days, or when a 9" profile is all they're feeding on. I use a 7 when it's flattish, a 9 when it's not, and an 11 when I absolutely have to. I also have an 8' 10wt that I use for bait run stuff. I have Rio outbound short intermediate heads with braided mono running lines on all my beach rigs.
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I'm no expert but a 10wt will out cast a 9 wt. However my 10wt will wear my *** out, so I have to chose my shots. If you are going to be selective about shots a 10 is ideal. If you are going to cast a lot, lighter is better.
    It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    As noted above - it's more about the size of the fly you're wanting to toss and the weather conditions that day... I've always advised anglers wanting to add a second rod to go two line sizes up (or down) from their primary rod - so if you have an 8wt a 10 is the best choice for a second rod ( or a 6wt if you're going lighter...). For those that want to have only one rod... a 9wt (but it will be a bit heavy for some things and a bit light for others..).

For anglers on the west coast a 10 wt is probably more than they'd ever need on foot - but the Atlantic side with those easterly breezes (wind actually - and most days...) a 10 wt can be very handy. To give you some idea of what a 10wt is capable of - it's the go to rod I hand anglers anywhere we're using five to six inch flies (and with either big bead chain eyes or lead eyes...). We've taken a bunch of tarpon all the up to around 80lbs on nothing but a 10wt... For all my heavier rods (10wt on up) we're set up with a full intermediate fly line (a very slow sinking line that can be fished just under the surface - very handy when the surf is tossing your gear around a lot... or as deep as you want -by simply counting it down to the desired depth....). Those that try one of those intermediates soon learn that they actually cast better into the wind than any floating line....

Although I keep a bunch of fly rods ready to go (from a 7wt all the up to a 12wt...) and with two reels for every line size (one that winds right hand the other winds left hand)..... you could probably do 90% of all your fly fishing with just an 8 and a 10wt.... We only haul out the heavier rods for big silver or sharks...

Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • HookIHookI Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    I beach fish a lot . Being 8/9 w but I like 10' length in both rods for the beach , but in the back bay , estuary 9' or even 8' is better .
  • DUPPYDUPPY Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    +1 for 8 wt on the beach
    +1 for 10' on the beach

The majority of the small male snook on the beach will be a bunch of fin on a 6 or 7, but every once in a while you see a yuuuuuuuuge fish cruising that will make you so glad you brought the 8 wt.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,180 Captain
    DUPPY wrote: »
    +1 for 8 wt on the beach
    +1 for 10' on the beach

The majority of the small male snook on the beach will be a bunch of fin on a 6 or 7, but every once in a while you see a yuuuuuuuuge fish cruising that will make you so glad you brought the 8 wt.

+1 for an 8wt on the beach, if conditions require an 8wt on the beach. An 8 isn't going to stop snook-zilla any faster than a 7 though.

-1 for a 10' on the beach. It'll help you mend over the break, and you can pick up a little more line, but the swing weight of a longer rod combined with a density compensated line is going to be miserable. I'm 6'2" and 230lbs and I'm not a fan. Not to mention I have a 1096 (9'6" 10wt), and a 10' 9wt, and they're both odd rods that are no longer in production.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file