March TampaBay Inshore Action Heating up

With the arrival of spring water temps a little early it appears the bite has woken up over the last 3 weeks with tons of snook on the flats and schools of redfish covering the mangrove lines. The last two weekends I was able to get them on top water baits early in the morning then switched to green swim baits or paddle tails. On the higher tides working the mangrove lines the fish seem to be more active then the past few months. Havent been able to locate any chunky white baits yet so just been on the artificial's as I enjoy the challenge of catching fish on plastic. water is super clear still so long cast and being quite has helped me get bites when other people have not. The wind has been brutal but have been able to work the shore lines protected by mangroves and still spot some reds before they spook. Excited for the arrival of kingfish and tarpon soon!

IMG_0662%201_zps4qbhncm2.jpg
IMG_0754%201_zpsbx3tdaml.jpg
FullSizeRender%202_zpslhqmwy0x.jpg
FullSizeRender_zpsipggtzup.jpg
IMG_0693%201_zpsqndvgjan.jpg
IMG_0658_zpshxhqrzy2.jpg
IMG_0660_zpsr8aebndf.jpg
IMG_0642_zps0rayoifa.jpg
IMG_0641_zps8wn6kzqk.jpg
IMG_0636_zpsrgrdypqp.jpg
IMG_0616_zpsc9m2vddp.jpg
IMG_0657_zpser98jrqb.jpg

Replies

• mcsnookmcsnook Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Very nice great job, love that last pic, the release! If you don't mind me asking, what plastic did the snook and redfish like the most?
  • Matt822Matt822 Posts: 149 Officer
    mcsnook wrote: »
    Very nice great job, love that last pic, the release! If you don't mind me asking, what plastic did the snook and redfish like the most?

Thanks....All those fish were caught on either a Top dog topwater lure green/silver and zman green/silver paddlez rigged weedless style
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,200 Officer
    Nice fish, especially the reds.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
    Nice fish, especially the reds.

Thanks Bassin
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 216 Deckhand
    Nice catch. Fish are decent, too!
  • mrkchefmrkchef Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report!!
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,671 Captain
    Great report! Congratulations!
    God, save the South!
    Nice fishing!

Question: who installed the ocean grip??
    Is it waterproof?
    Is it local?
    God, save the South!
    Nice fishing!

Question: who installed the ocean grip??
    Is it waterproof?
    Is it local?

I had Mark in Sarasota do mine but I know they have a guy in St.Pete that will do it. Ive had it for about 4 months now. it is waterproof very easy to clean and so much better on your feet than the fiberglass. In addition to that its quiet and saves you from chipping the fiber glass when dropping stuff. so far Im extremely happy with it

http://www.oceangrip.com/contact-us/
    Thanks for the reply!
    Checking that out!
    God, save the South!
    You fishing the SS Matt? Went yesterday and caught 25 snook....no real size and 5 trout...4 in the slot. Can't buy a red.
    You fishing the SS Matt? Went yesterday and caught 25 snook....no real size and 5 trout...4 in the slot. Can't buy a red.

Yes all those came from the South Shore or FT Desoto area. Tons of snook have moved in they must be migrating to the beach already. The last time I was out which was sunday I didn't see as many reds around so they might have moved from my usual spots
    Thanks Matt. Some of those areas looked familiar. Yea, the snook bite is very good despite the tremendous pressure on the SS, but I am not seeing many over 22". I have seen some monster snook and even a school of them just sitting in 4' of calm water, but they aren't interested in anything I am offering. Seems like the outgoing has been better for me than the incoming. The reds are so elusive. Just wish I could figure them out a little better. Very clear water makes the challenge even tougher.
    Matt822 wrote: »
    Yes all those came from the South Shore or FT Desoto area. Tons of snook have moved in they must be migrating to the beach already. The last time I was out which was sunday I didn't see as many reds around so they might have moved from my usual spots

Having trouble locating them or catching them?
    Apparently both. I can usually catch one or maybe 2, but never see schools of reds or large schools of mullet to target. Probably need to expand my search.
    Apparently both. I can usually catch one or maybe 2, but never see schools of reds or large schools of mullet to target. Probably need to expand my search.

Its hard to find big schools on the weekends they get busted up by all the traffic. So if you see a few reds in one area the rest might not be too far. Do you fish live bait or artificial?
    Arti only.
    Arti only.

this time of year im throwin green soft plastics. mainly zman paddlez with a 1\4 weedless style hook or green back colored mirrordine's. I use 8ft rods with 10lb power pro to get a nice long cast to keep the bait away from the boat. most of your bites will come in the first 10 feet after the bait hits the water. just be careful with snook around they will eat your $10 mirrordine and its gone because you cant stop them on 10lb test
    I am using 3" paddle tails mostly. Been using a color called killifish a lot more lately...a green mixed with light brown. Very good in the clear water. Using 10# PP and 30# leader on a 7'6" rod. Just the water is so clear and when it's low or the tide isn't coming in as predicted, it is problematic. Add in the floating grass and it really makes it tough. West winds on the SS bunch that grass up something awful. Had a really good day the time before with a South wind, but last Thursday with the West wind and little of it I only caught 7 small snook and a rat red. Fish are beat to death on the SS. Keep seeing this school of monster snook, but they ain't hitting. Just got to keep after it. Need some rain.
  • HondoHondo Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    For as bad as it is on the SS you gotta figure places like Weedon Island and Ft Desoto get hit even harder. Just too **** many people in the Tampa Bay area. I try to avoid weekend fishing as much as possible but work just seems to get in the way. Need to go find me a quieter, less populated area of florida once I am ready to retire. Unfortunately there aren't many of those places left in our state.:mad
    Hondo wrote: »
    For as bad as it is on the SS you gotta figure places like Weedon Island and Ft Desoto get hit even harder. Just too **** many people in the Tampa Bay area. I try to avoid weekend fishing as much as possible but work just seems to get in the way. Need to go find me a quieter, less populated area of florida once I am ready to retire. Unfortunately there aren't many of those places left in our state.:mad

I know I enjoy charlotte harbor there is people there but its so much more vast than Tampa bay lots of places to hide there
  • HondoHondo Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    I have about 10 more years of working ahead of me, but Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda are on the top of my list for retirement destination. Now if I could only convince the wife that we should leave Tampa.
    I went to CH yesterday. It was a nice change of pace.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file