Transducer Issue

Hoping you guys can help me with a small issue I am having. I have a Garmin 740s with a thru hull transducer which is no longer being recognized by the head unit.

The transducer was working fine, then I had the boat in for a 100 hour service, they serviced the engine, replaced the fuel water separator which is in the bilge with the ducer, and also replaced the battery switch. When it came out of service, the first time i ran the boat the transducer was working intermittently (ie work for an hour or two and then no readings for a bit) and my Power Pole started going down on its own. I reset the Power Pole and it has been fine since.

Unfortunately that service was in July and I have only been able to run the boat 3 or 4 times since then, a crime I know. The last 2 times out the transducer was never seen by the head unit. I looked at all the connections into the unit and they all seem fine, no corrosion. I suppose the transducer could be failing but doesn't seem all that likely since the boat is a 2013.

If you guys have any advice on things to check throw any ideas out there, I'm open to checking whatever. If not, the number Marine Electronics to a guy who could help me out would be great. Only thing with that is I'm worried about taking it someone and spending a fortune in labor cost for troubleshooting.

I'm taking the family over to the Port St Joe area in a couple of weeks and we are taking the boat so it would be really good to have the transducer when navigating away from home waters!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,086 Admiral
    If you like, I will diagnose the problem for free. It will probably only take a few minutes.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • jbrewsterjbrewster Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Yeah that would be great. Im flying home from London but should be able to bring it any day from Tuesday on, so just let me know what works.

Thank you!!!
    I'll be at the shop all week. I take my daughter to school so I can't get there untill 9:30 each morning, but I'm usually there to at least 6 but usually 8 or 9. Gimme a ring to make sure I havnt left for food or parts.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    **Update**

Big thank you to Tony from Boattronics! I brought the boat by his shop and he had a look for me and helped me to narrow down the options. Very much appreciate you taking the time out of your day for that, always awesome when people will do things like that!

So, here is where I now stand... I went out and picked up a transom mount ducer so I could test to see if the ducer or the display unit was the problem.

When I plugged in the new transducer the display unit DOES see that transducer, so I assume my current one is bad. However, there is another kink, when I plug in the new transducer the 5a fuse for the nmea 2000 network blew. Before my old transducer stopped working completely (while it was intermittent), it would do the same thing, blow the 5a fuse. However the transducer does still work once the fuse is blown. I think I need to find the cause of this because I'm now wondering if there is a short in the nmea network that somehow caused the previous transducer to go bad somehow. I certainly dont want to install another thru hull just to have it go bad in short order.

I havent had a chance to try to further isolate exactly what was causing the 5a fuse to go as I didnt have any spares on hand. I will grab some today and hope to do some more troubleshooting tonight to see if there is a short in one of the other devices on the nmea 2000 network.

If anyone has words of wisdom please feel free to chime in!
  • ccordellccordell Posts: 240 Officer
    Awesome Tony that is great custoemr service
    Never heard of this before!

Here's what needs to be next. On the n2k backbone, the power cord is yellow. Follow it to power and make sure it has a good connection, red to positive, black to ground. Disconnect all other devices from the backbone, except the power cord and the display, and the display should have the new ducer plugged in. If it pops, you need to try a new backbone and power cord next, but it's likely the display it's self. If it works fine, plug in the other devices until the fuse pops and that will show you which other device in the network is causing the problem.

The transducer gets its power directly from the display it plugs into. The only place the ducer and n2k network interface is at the display which make me suspect it most now.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Update...

I can't consistently recreate the issue at this point. I spent about an hour and a half on Sunday and another 20 mins this morning looking at the issue.

As mentioned by Tony, I tried to isolate the issue to a specific nmea 2000 device but havent been able to find anything for sure. When I first began on Sunday I replaced the 5a fuse and changed nothing else and the fuse did pop again. After that, I pulled everything from the the nmea 2000 network except the backbone and power, no blown fuse. Then added the cable to the head unit, no blown fuse. Added the fuel flow sensor and no blown fuse. Tried plugging and unplugging stuff but could not get the fuse to blow.

Arrived this morning, turned things on, then checked the fuse and it was blown. Then started again to try to isolate and could never get the fuse to blow again.

I do know that the head unit never recognizes the fuel flow sensor (which is the only nmea 2000 device on the network besides the head unit). So I suppose I need to get a new nmea 2000 power cable and backbone to make sure that it isnt that but I'm about to just write the Garmin stuff off and get a Garmin Go7 XSE, lol.
  • VettesinzVettesinz Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    If what you said is that the ONLY nmea 2k attached is the fuel flow sensor, you might have a bad fuel flow sensor. Also try to get a can of air blower (computer air cleaner) and blow air to each nmea connector, let it set then make a connection.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 585 Officer
    "n2k backbone"? "nmea 2000 network"? God Lord I"m old -and ignorant.
    Vettensinz- Yeah, only drop cables from the nmea 2000 backbone are power, the Garmin 740s head unit and the Garmin Fuel Flow sensor, i presume it is a gfs-10. I will try the compressed air suggestion tonight if i can make it out to the boat (storage). I do think there is a good chance the gfs-10 has failed. But I dont know if it failed by itself, or what also seems probable at this point is that the 740s somehow caused both the transducer and gfs-10 to both fail over time.

I dont want to spend another 2-300+ getting a replacement thru hull ducer installed, only for it to go bad in 6 months because the head unit is doing something that is causing peripheral devices to fail. Another option would be to install a cheap transom mount ducer but I would rather not drill holes in my transom for something that doesn't get me additional data (ie side scan).

I said it half jokingly to start with but I am at this point seriously considering installing a Simrad Go7 XSE with the Totalscan transducer. That way I can somewhat justify the additional cost to my wife by telling her I got Structure scan now, so she can catch more Red Snapper :wink
  • nauti enoughnauti enough Posts: 159 Officer
    740s has has many issues and one of the reasons i went to simrad
    KOOLURES
    N2BLUECHARTERS
    STUPIDFISH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file