Skunked @ Power Pole & Box Car

Went out yesterday with the promise of calm seas and hooking into some AJ's, Kings and some Grouper.. Well, the morning was a little bumpy forcing us to stay at Power Pole a little longer than we wanted.. We had 2 live lines out the back with Pinfish 1 with wire another without. No strikes. We also had a Pin down deep and a Shrimp down.. Nodda....:huh

So, around 11 we took off to Box car hoping for action.. The seas had calmed down to glass by noon.. Was pretty cool to take my 20' CC out 18 miles with summer like conditions in Dec. So after about 45 minutes @ 30 MPH we get to Box Car.. Pretty much the same thing.. We tried for about 2 hrs, then decided to head back in. I spoke with another fisherman out there who said they were getting skunked also..

Wonder if the Red Tide over the last few weeks evacuated the reefs... I have never experienced it as dead out there... Anyone have any reports of similar?

Anyways.. Just thought I would give an update.. It was still VERY nice to see the Gulf look like a mirror...

Tight lines !

Brian

Replies

• farside88farside88 Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Thank you for the report, even if it wasn't a positive one.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,464 Moderator
    A report with details good or not so good is one that helps us all. How was the tide running when you were out there??
    larrywitt
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 105 Deckhand
    larrywitt wrote: »
    A report with details good or not so good is one that helps us all. How was the tide running when you were out there??
    larrywitt
    Tide was incoming when we started and high tide was around 11 AM at Boca
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 105 Deckhand
    larrywitt wrote: »
    larrywitt

Larry,

Was an incoming tide.. With high tide @ Boca around 11 AM
  • dovedove Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I'm glad you posted your story. Yesterday, I went out of Venice to a couple spots where AJs will usually almost eat out of my hand. I saw very few on sonar, and couldn't get a bite on live threadfins or a vertical jig. A couple times I saw an AJ come up to look at the bait, but not take it. This was late afternoon. Wonder what's going on.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Probably just caused by the new moon.

I find that the bite does not turn on until after about 15:00 hours.
    The power poles, can be very hit or miss. Its close so it gets pressure. I have caught permit and messes of Spanish and king macks there but I mostly use it as a bait stop for scad, sardines, grunts and pins. Not sure if anything is left at the boxcars. I quit fishing that many years ago as I believe the boxcars have all collapsed and are laying as flat sheets of metal on the bottom. You would have been better off heading to the school busses. As you well know I'm sure, it may not have mattered anyway if the fish simply had lock jaw. Thanks for the report.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file