Medium/Heavy spinning rod with Winn grip

The guy I built this for wanted four colors and I had to really think about how to get all four of them on it.
It was the first time I built anything with the Winn grips. They are amazing and hope to use them on a lot more projects.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Winn makes Rod Grips ?
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • TheonethatgotawayTheonethatgotaway Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Winn just started making grips for fishing rods. They are the best grips I've ever used.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Well that is just awesome. Love their golf grips, hopefully the rod grips last a bit longer though.

Nice thread work too.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Winn just started making grips for fishing rods. They are the best grips I've ever used.

That's cool... Hopefully they'll start showing up on some higher-end 'OTR' rods
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,291 Moderator
    Wow , nice job !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,225 Captain
    How heavy are they?
    How heavy are they?

It's a one piece 7ft in the 15 to 30lb line class. With fast action tip. It was made to pull big snook and reds out of the Mangroves.
  • btm930btm930 Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Winn Grips are great but hopefully it doesn't get wet. They do get slippery
    It's a one piece 7ft in the 15 to 30lb line class. With fast action tip. It was made to pull big snook and reds out of the Mangroves.

I was asking about the grips.
    btm930 wrote: »
    Winn Grips are great but hopefully it doesn't get wet. They do get slippery

Actually these grips get even more tacky when wet.

They are lighter than cork.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 353 Deckhand
    about the same as other grips, it is rubber on the outside with eva inside, you cant shape it.
    colors on the rubber outside fades.
    too much of the WINN logo on a short grip, so overbearing.
    i wont use them, makes a custom rod look cheap.
    rysher wrote: »
    about the same as other grips, it is rubber on the outside with eva inside, you cant shape it.
    colors on the rubber outside fades.
    too much of the WINN logo on a short grip, so overbearing.
    i wont use them, makes a custom rod look cheap.
    I hate those people that never have anything good or nice to say.
    I use the Winn grips because they get tacky when wet and are easy on the hands. Those two things are important because I build all my rods for disabled people who have a hard time gripping the handle. I bet you don't build rods for the disabled because you're afraid they will make your custom rods look cheap.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 353 Deckhand
    I hate those people that never have anything good or nice to say.
    I use the Winn grips because they get tacky when wet and are easy on the hands. Those two things are important because I build all my rods for disabled people who have a hard time gripping the handle. I bet you don't build rods for the disabled because you're afraid they will make your custom rods look cheap.
    me saying nothing good about winn grips is based on my opinion and observation and what i like in a grip.
    it has nothing to do with you or the rod you build or the people you build for.

am i suppose to say good things about winn grips even if i dont like them? i.e. color fades, big overbearing logo etc...
    if you like them, then that's good, that's you, that makes you unique, that's why we (people) are different, some like blue, some like red, some like kingfish some dont.

however, if you were to bet that i dont build rods for the disabled, then you would've lost.
    i just wont use winn grips.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,854 Captain
    I don't like kingfish. Barg :rotflmao
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I love king fish. Wish i had some right now.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    rysher wrote: »
    me saying nothing good about winn grips is based on my opinion and observation and what i like in a grip.
    it has nothing to do with you or the rod you build or the people you build for.

am i suppose to say good things about winn grips even if i dont like them? i.e. color fades, big overbearing logo etc...
    if you like them, then that's good, that's you, that makes you unique, that's why we (people) are different, some like blue, some like red, some like kingfish some dont.

however, if you were to bet that i dont build rods for the disabled, then you would've lost.
    i just wont use winn grips.

My point was that all you had to say was negative. I'm not advertising Winn grips here. I'm showing what a disabled person is able to do for other disabled people. This is only the fourth rod that I have ever built and I think I did a great job. It's not pro work like I'm sure you do. However that's because my hands hurt so much that it takes me a month to do what most can do in less than a week.
    Also from what I was told by the Winn Grip rep that sent the product to me these grips for fishing rods are a new product from the ones that were first made in 2009. So how is it that you have so much experience with a product that just came out on the market?
    My point was that all you had to say was negative. I'm not advertising Winn grips here. I'm showing what a disabled person is able to do for other disabled people. This is only the fourth rod that I have ever built and I think I did a great job. It's not pro work like I'm sure you do. However that's because my hands hurt so much that it takes me a month to do what most can do in less than a week.
    Also from what I was told by the Winn Grip rep that sent the product to me these grips for fishing rods are a new product from the ones that were first made in 2009. So how is it that you have so much experience with a product that just came out on the market?

Ray's comments had nothing to do with your build at all. In fact, your reaction to his post was kinda nuts.
    Ray's comments had nothing to do with your build at all. In fact, your reaction to his post was kinda nuts.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they like. What I didn't like was that he said that "Winn grips make your customer rod look cheap". It takes me weeks to do what most people can do in a day or two because of my disability. My hands hurt so much that I can't control them sometimes. I know my rods will never be pro standards but I still try my best because this is the only thing I can do. So yeah I got a little pissed off at his comment. I started this to show people that even if you're disabled you can still do something to be proud of. I'll say no more about it.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what they like. What I didn't like was that he said that "Winn grips make your customer rod look cheap". It takes me weeks to do what most people can do in a day or two because of my disability. My hands hurt so much that I can't control them sometimes. I know my rods will never be pro standards but I still try my best because this is the only thing I can do. So yeah I got a little passed off at his comment. I started this to show people that even if you're disabled you can still do something to be proud of. I'll say no more about it.

I totally get that. Here's the thing though, Rysher's post wasn't a stab at your work, or even your choice of components. Staying humble and keeping a thick skin are invaluable to someone looking to master a craft of any kind. I'm a disabled vet, I work with disabled vets, I fish with disabled vets, I tie flies with disabled vets, and all of them value my honesty on the water and at the vise. I've never learned anything from a pat on the back.
    I totally get that. Here's the thing though, Rysher's post wasn't a stab at your work, or even your choice of components. Staying humble and keeping a thick skin are invaluable to someone looking to master a craft of any kind. I'm a disabled vet, I work with disabled vets, I fish with disabled vets, I tie flies with disabled vets, and all of them value my honesty on the water and at the vise. I've never learned anything from a pat on the back.
    I totally get what you are saying. However I didn't post the pictures to get a pat on the back or praise of any kind. For me fishing was my life. I grew up being on the water everyday since I was about three. My dad was a tug boat captain and I use to go everywhere with him. Then one day I had a bad accident that left me with my back broken in six places and the rest of me in pieces. For almost three years I didn't pick up a fishing rod. It was driving me crazy not to be able to fish or be out on the water. So I decided to do the next best thing, I started learning how to build rods. I post the pictures so that others can see that even if you are disabled you can still do something to keep your mind busy. Everything I have learned is from watching others and building from there. Now I know my work will never be on a pro level but I can still build something that most people can enjoy. That's why I didn't like the negative comment. Be positive, do what you love, and give to others. Most importantly NEVER GIVE UP!
  • chumbags1976chumbags1976 Posts: 100 Officer
    I was thinking same thing! I'm a golf pro, Winn grips don't like getting wet at all and don't last very long at all
    I was thinking same thing! I'm a golf pro, Winn grips don't like getting wet at all and don't last very long at all

These grips are made for fishing rods. The grip is the same if they are wet or dry
  • Croaker JOCroaker JO Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    WINN grips have an EVA core that is covered with a "tacky" polymer skin so they are very light. Seems like good, high density EVA and they have a good "feel" wet or dry. Universal fits are popping up in a lot of places and Anglers Resource, the Fuji distributor, is coming with a selection of custom fitted WINN Grips for Fuji reel seats.
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Great job. Someone is going to be very happy with that rod. Need to follow up with a pic of the new owner and the first catch.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Beautiful work! I know quite a few tourney bass fishermen that are using them. No complaints from them. To each his own, and we all have opinions. I personally don't like how they look, but some people like Chevy's and others like pushing fords!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    I think the rod is fantastic. Wish I had your talent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file