Best anchor for strong current with sand bottom?

I've been having a hard time setting the anchor at a spot I fish here... pretty strong current and sand bottom. 20' deep and I have about 8' of heavy chain and 100' of rope on an anchor that honestly is too big for my boat but still won't hold bottom. What type of anchor do you recommend?

Thanks.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• Fish_baitFish_bait Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    http://www.seaclawanchors.com/

Seaclaw anchors are in a league of their own. They don't require chain and hold like no other.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 489 Deckhand
    I've found that the Fortress Marine anchor and also the Digger anchor both have excellent holding power in fast moving water.
    What size boat do you have?

Fortress- FX-7 for 16- 27 ft. FX-23- up to 40ft.

Digger- one size for up to 35ft. I think, you may want to check. IMO best value, never fails ( I've used with 18 ft. bay boat and 24ft. CC offshore hull)
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Sea Claw. Hands down best anchor there is. And you can zip tie the rope so that if it gets stuck the zip tie will break and you can pull it out backwards.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Sea Claw. Hands down best anchor there is. And you can zip tie the rope so that if it gets stuck the zip tie will break and you can pull it out backwards.
    Just checked them out while sitting here at work, they are priced very reasonable might have to order one to try, free shipping in Florida!
    Love to support the local economy.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,651 Captain
    Ahh yes... seaclaw. I couldn't remember the name. #12 the right size for a AC 1720?
    12 is good but 8 will work just fine. If you can fit the 12 in your locker and don't mind paying a little extra, you ought to get the bigger one IMO.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    any danforth design anchor will do. Heavier the better.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,651 Captain
    Thanks guys... bought a #12 aluminum... just saw nuclear's post about heavier better and I'm second guessing and thinking I should have gotten the bronze. Ahh well I guess we'll see how it goes.
  • Salty LeaderSalty Leader Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I've been using that seacure/seaclaw anchor for a long time and love it. I always joke its the only thing on the boat that hasn't broke! Thanks for the zip tie idea. I'm going to set mine up like that.
    Just sucure the rope to the wrong end and zip tie it to the right end... I can send you a pic of that doesn't make sense.
  • Capt. KevinCapt. Kevin Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Go to http://www.reelcharterfishing.com or go to http://www.seaclaw.com The other guys are knock offs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file