venison jerky recipe needed

bmmcbmmc Posts: 64 Deckhand
have some fresh venison on the way.need a good jerky recipe.will be using a dehydrator & have a brink man water smoker for smoke instead of liquid smoke which ever is better.also have an electric meat slicer.

Replies

• 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Teriyaki sauce and plenty of ground red pepper. Let marinate for a while in the teriyaki and pepper the pizz out of it on the dehydrator. You better make a huge pile. I can never even wait for it to finish before I start eating it. About 4 days of non stop dehydrating is about right. It freezes well also.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I have always liked this one (obviously from "Good Eats")...

Alton Brown’s Beef Jerky

Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
    • 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    • 2/3 cup soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons onion powder
    • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords
    Directions
    Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
    Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.
    Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
    Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.
    Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

I have used this with venison, elk, beef and turkey. Always good!
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    001 wrote: »
    Teriyaki sauce and plenty of ground red pepper. Let marinate for a while in the teriyaki and pepper the pizz out of it on the dehydrator. You better make a huge pile. I can never even wait for it to finish before I start eating it. About 4 days of non stop dehydrating is about right. It freezes well also.

4 days of dehydrating? how are you doing that? i dehydrate my beef jerky for approx 8 hours in my dehydrator.
  • Lizardfish1Lizardfish1 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    4 Days? You wouldn't be able to scrape it off the dehydrator. I do mine between 6-10 hours, depending on thickness of jerky pieces
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    it might vaporize :)
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Hopefully 001 meant that he has so much it dry it takes 4 days to get it all dried. I can only dry 5 racks at a time so a large amount of meat takes several days.
    Just sayin'.
    The Forgotten Coast

PICT0143-1.jpg
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    I have a good one for you guys. We use a ham or a backstrap or a tenderlion. Slice into proper size, drop in bowl. Fajita seasoning and black pepper!! Thats it nothing else. We use on of those square box smokers. With water bowl and keep temp at 140 or so. Cook until there done enough for you. 4 or so hours and there still a little tender but oh man!! BAM!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file