Tarpon Fishing

Anyone know where there's a good place to fish for tarpon and don't mind giving the location LOL? I want to go tarpon fishing in the next few weeks or so!
Kwanza Kayaking Henderson

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    I was at Dania pier last Saturday and I saw them rolling just north of the pier out of casting distance from the "T". So if that's close to you, you can try it out and maybe get lucky :shrug
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Government Cut, Miami. I've put plenty of tarpon reports up from the Cut. PE inlet hold poons too, you could try hitting bridges in the ICW at night too and fish the shadow lines. Gotta look around and you'll find em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    Anyone see any mullet around? I work at P.E. and haven't any seen any near the sea walls under the cranes.
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
  • fishingfool1488fishingfool1488 Posts: 104 Officer
    Walking the beach at John Lloyd I always see them rolling about 150-200 yards from shore. Just paddle out and look for them. I would live bait it, try and get some mullet
    Meat Mayhem Tournaments
    Bimini Wahoo Mayhem Feb 1-3rd 2018
    Palm Beach Mayhem March 8-10th 2018
    Ft Lauderdale Mayhem April 26-28th
    http://www.meatmayhemtournaments.com
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    I saw some smashing bait outside Boca inlet yesterday. Pretty much every inlet and major bridge in South Florida holds tarpon, as well as the beaches, so finding them is not the issue. From a kayak, your best bet is to liveline mullet around an inlet or out past the sandbar near bottom structure. Bridge fishing would be tricky - you'll want to avoid an area with obstacles or heavy boat traffic, since if you hook up you'll need space.
  • kwanza98kwanza98 Posts: 611 Officer
    Yeah I saw them rolling on bait when I caught my little amberjack. If you look in the video you can see me zooming in on one rolling. Man there were schools and schools of tarpon on the beach at Dania, but I only got one hit with no hook up. If you fast forward this video to 4:15-4:18 you'll see one. Yo I was in panic mode trying to hook one because they were busting bait like no one's business.[video=youtube_share;zN3dvcyhqRI]
    Kwanza Kayaking Henderson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file