Yellowfin tuna?

Why doesn't south Florida have a yellowfin tuna population if they are present in both the gulf and the bahamas?

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    They are the stuff urban legends are made of: "I was out in 400+ft and lost a monster tuna, MUST have been a yellowfin..." I've heard that before lol :rotflmao
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    They are the stuff urban legends are made of: "I was out in 400+ft and lost a monster tuna, MUST have been a yellowfin..." I've heard that before lol :rotflmao

:funnypost heard that one before. For some reason they stay on the east side of the gulf.?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    All joking aside, perhaps they favor deeper water which is why most kayaks and sport boats here in southern Florida don't catch them?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Earlier this year Bluefin Tuna were spotted in Biscayne Bay, so anything is possible. Too bad the BFTs were hit or miss... You had to be out almost every day in Delray and Boynton to really get what you did the year before. Some fishing reports have folks catching them this year, but none from kayaks... maybe a trip to the Bahamas is in order?
  • AC_YaKAC_YaK Posts: 54 Deckhand
    They're spots down here that will hold YFT but it is only for a couple weeks out of the year
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    AC_YaK wrote: »
    They're spots down here that will hold YFT but it is only for a couple weeks out of the year

Yak is correct. We get yellowfins in the Keys every year, to a greater or lesser extent. They are generally to the west, off the sub wreck; too far for a kayak.

On this side of the gulfstream, the water drops off too gradually for them. Most of our boaters don't go out far enough, because so many other species can be had, closer inshore.

You guys chasing Blackfins want to watch out for the occasional juvenile Bluefin mixed in. If your "Blackfin" has a shorter pectoral fin and yellow finlets behind the dorsal fin and on the underside as well, then that's a Bluefin and illegal to keep. They are protected except under a federal permit. Several months ago a guy brought in a 500+ lb. Bluefin into his dock in Ft. Lauderdale. He was immediately arrested but was give a very light penalty because he cooperated with authorities and it was obviously an incidental catch. I don't think he even knew what kind of fish it was.
    .......Rick
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    keeping in mind, yellowfin are covered under the HMS permit, or you need the atlantic tunas angling permit.
    and as of Jan 1st in the atlantic the limit is 3 per vessel with a 27" curved fork length.
    blackfin are still of the HMS list.

cheers
    drew

10 oz lead, april is prime time for yellowfin along new providence channel in the bahamas. maybe sign up for the extreme kayak fishing battle in the bahamas and get over there.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file