DIY GoPro Pole How Long?

Hey Guys
want to make my own GoPro pole that I can put in a rod holder behind me. How long should I make it so It will record over my head but not interfere w fishing. I have a Outback and Im 6'5" any suggestions :banghead

Replies

• Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Make an adjustable one. Get a targas camera pole from walmart
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    Yeah, just pick up an inexpensive monopod to do the job.
    Mine is about 22" collapsed and can extend to almost 6 feet.
    Gives you many options for different shots. ;)
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    The only problem with Paul's design is that the pole needs to be pretty much point-on vertical, as there is no adjustment at the camera mount.

Here is the same Targus monopod, with the design tweaked a bit by Brandon Barton of the Hobie Fishing Team, that will allow infinite adjustment....
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    The only problem with Paul's design is that the pole needs to be pretty much point-on vertical, as there is no adjustment at the camera mount.

Here is the same Targus monopod, with the design tweaked a bit by Brandon Barton of the Hobie Fishing Team, that will allow infinite adjustment....

It always amazes me the way people can combine scotty/RAM/yak attack products to solve problems.

I won't even go into detail about what I've seen Yakkers make out of PVC and pool noodles haha.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Officer
    ok Dumb question but how do I attach the mount to handle just with a pole mount from gopro
  • drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    [video=youtube_share;YPYiDr6bJUc] is the way I mounted mine. I used a ram mount 1.5" ball on the bottom. I then pulled of the the metal pointed foot off. (not screwed in, but pressed) I then screwed a ss screw with some washers so that it is easy to move around but not loose. very easy to make. added some pics and my first test video.
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
    drod13 wrote: »
    Here is the way I mounted mine. I used a ram mount 1.5" ball on the bottom. I then pulled of the the metal pointed foot off. (not screwed in, but pressed) I then screwed a ss screw with some washers so that it is easy to move around but not loose. very easy to make. added some pics and my first test video.
    Even simpler, I like! thumbs_up_smiley.gif

I like the way you have it with the RAM 1.5 on the bottom. I'm going to run to Walmart and give this a try. I think I'll add a RAM 1" ball where you added the S/S screw at the other end.
    This will give me the option of switching between the YakAttack Panfish pole and a nice DIY pole.....
    I will probably do the same. It will definitely give you more options. Thanks...
    drod
    what kind of mount is the gopro on that is attached to the pole? how did you attach to pole?
    It's a 3-way pivot arm that comes with the Gopro. I removed the foot from the targus pod and replaced with the pivot arm. I secured it with a stainless steel screw and some washers. It screws right into the plastic base. You will see that It's pretty simple once you have the pole in your hand.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    There's a $6 one that goes on brush pole. West Marine sells it. Sure hold brand.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    CaptTater wrote: »
    There's a $6 one that goes on brush pole. West Marine sells it. Sure hold brand.

The ShurHold mount is $12. http://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-104-POV-Camera-Adapter/dp/B00GBTGFDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385176262&sr=8-1&keywords=Shurhold+Camera+Mount

FYI- It appears that Walmart is no longer stocking the Targus monopod at my local store or online....but they have the Vivitar monopod for almost $2 less (online) and it appears to be the exact same product.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-67-Monopod/15268393?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=55740614940&category=0%3A3944%3A3959%3A132913%3A4539&client_guid=eba9d534-25fb-4c73-ad08-43cb7c116b64&config_id=2&parent_item_id=10370963&guid=8f54ae91-e338-47bc-bb39-9ced6f97b021&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

A0PG_1_20130928174652318.jpg
  • Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    Target also carries them bought mine a month ago
    Well, the $12.86 Vivitar is "Out of Stock", but they have another Vivitar model (looks identical) for $10.88....:dance

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-VIV-MPT-700B-67-Monopod-Black/27448853
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    I made one out of about 4' of PVC and the plastic square from the top of the box the gopro came in. Haven't put it in a kayak, since my funds have been cut (apparently, I'm not mature enough).
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    I don't understand the ram? If you simply reverse the threaded head on the monopod, it screws right onto the gopro articulating connectors. This costs like 15 bucks, and takes 10 minutes make. I've got two I made just like Brandon's. they work perfectly with the go pros. But after too many failures, I'm using Comtour Roam cameras. Same mono pods.

Cheers
    Drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
    uno--mas wrote: »
    I don't understand the ram? If you simply reverse the threaded head on the monopod, it screws right onto the gopro articulating connectors. This costs like 15 bucks, and takes 10 minutes make.
    Drew, can you post a couple pics of your set-up....not really "seeing" what your describing.
    i sold the go pros and all the gizmos that go with them, so i can't post pics of the go pro on the monopod. I'm still using the same monopods with the 1/4" 20tpi camera mount for my Contour Roam cameras, with different mounts.

i did the same mod that was posted previously--the palmettokayakfishing link, to put the 1/4" camera mount on the opposite end of the monopod. this lets the 'fat' end of the monopod be at the bottom. the foam handle fits into rod holders, scotty rod holders and railblaza rod mounts.
    it takes 10 minutes to remove the 1/4" camera mount and attach it to the other end. the reason everyone recommends the targus, is the camera mount plastic end already has a nearly perfectly sized hole to thread over the foot screw you cut the end off of. the palmettokayakfishing link is nearly textbook perfect. i actually got mine at Target. don't know if they still carry them.

this is the easiest and cheapest way to 'reverse' a monopod so the foam handle end fits into rod holders. it takes 10 minutes to do, and costs a lil dab of epoxy or superglue or any other glue to hold the camera mount on the threads of the tip you cut off. actually, you don't have to glue it at all, but it's an ounce of prevention.

i guess the 'question' i had is the need of the ram mount thing.
    if you pick up a tripod mount for your gopro (like 5 bucks, but i figure everyone already has one), and use the gopro widgets that come with the camera originally, you have don't have to buy the ram. what does that cost? isn't it like 25 bucks? and more importantly i think, what does it weight? all that weight dangling on the end of the monopod is awkward. by just using the gopro gizmos, it adds only a couple of grams of weight. and costs nothing, unless you don't have the tripod mount. if not, here's one for under 5 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCGO-Tripod-Mount-Adapter-for-GoPro-HD-Hero-Hero2-Camera-replaces-GTRA30-/330794049878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d04dca156

i like ram mount stuff. I've use it on boats and kayaks in the past. but in this case, i think it makes a 15 dollar project, into a 50 dollar project needlessly.

cheers
    drew
    uno-mas, The way you described it is the cheapest way. I only used the ram mounts cause my kayak came with it installed.
    I only had to buy a 1.5" ball mount. The ram does give you more camera angles though. It also doesn't use up one of my rod
    holders that I use for trolling.

How do you like the Contour's?
    i didn't mean to sound negative about the ram style. i re-read my posts and i sounded negative.

the ram would give you more angles, with an endless adjustment range.

i won't say anything bad about the go pro cameras. i just could not make them work 100%, all the time. too many bells, whistles for what i am trying to do. the Contour cameras--knock on wood, have been flawless for me so far. the last 6 or 7 videos i posted on youtube are all Contour videos.

cheers.
    drew
    Hey Drod
    Got it made today however Do you remember the size screw and washer???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file