Right 8wt Fly Line

Well fly guys, i need your help, advice, and guidance. I have began to fall hard for the fly game and have been doing what i can with the cheapy setups ive had forever. I used to keep them around just for playing around on the ranch catching panfish, bass, and tilapia but Ive recently discovered their place in my saltwater fishing arsenal especially at night. Ive been attempting to catch 28 + inch snook under dock lights with my little bass pro 5wt setup lol quite frustrating and comical sometimes, but i have had more success with smaller snook and tons of trout, jacks, and bluefish.

Anyway, ive decided im going to invest in a nice saltwater fly setup to last me a while and satisfy my new found addiction! Ive decided on an 8wt setup after much research and some guidance. Night snook fishing is not my only use for the fly rod, i am also going to start persuing reds, snook, and big trout on the flats of Ft. Pierce area, so i think a 9wt or bigger would be overkill. Ive chosen the TFO BVK 8wt rod and am still kind of on the fence about a reel. I like the TFO BVK III reel but i dont see many people using them which makes me nervous, but if u guys dont tell me other wise, i will probly end up settling on it. My other choices would be a Redington Rise or Delta, any other suggestions for around this price range would be appreciated.

Next question is the line that i should choose. I just got done looking at Rio lines and seems like they have some good products. I imagine I need a floating line for the fishing i intend to do, and thats all ive ever used. Obviosly i will go with an 8wt line. What are u guys using? What do u guys like? Brand? Model? What line should i use for what i want to do? Any help/ suggestions/ advise/ hate u guys have about my ideas, plans, or setup, please express them! I want to avoid costly rookie mistakes!

Thanks, Joe

Replies

• DKDDKD Posts: 371 Officer
    I would seriously consider a 9wt if snook are your primary target. I fish a 9wt exclusively (TFO BVK). It might be a bit overkill on the flats, but it is nice to have the extra backbone around docks and on windy days. I think an 8wt is probably a better rod for the flats, but a 9wt is more versatile. As for the BVK, it is a lot of rod for the money. My only complaint is the grip is significantly shorter than my previous rod (St Croix Avid). It could use an extra cork ring as my thumb hangs off the top of the grip when casting.

For reels, take a look at Lamson/Waterworks. They make some really nice reels for a reasonable price. You can find some good deals right now on the Velocity and Lightspeed leftovers as they are updating their product lines. Locally, I have also seen some killer deals on the Nautilus CCF reels as they just came out with the CCF-X2.

As for line, I really like the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper products. I have recently switched to their "Lost Tip" line and am really liking it as an all around line. It is a floating line with a 12' intermediate tip. I personally think it casts much better than Orvis Wonderline or SA Mastery. I have never used Rio products, but have heard good things.
  • Yak HardYak Hard Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Hey - I run a Lamson/Waterworks Velocity as mentioned above - really great reel (I run a 3x 8wt, but I sort of wish I would have went one step up to the 3.5 8/9wt). I am running the Rio Bonefish WF8F (8wt) line and really like how that acts. This is all coming out of a Bull Bay Rods Excel 8wt.. though this was a last minute decision from initially planning to get the BVK, I am very happy I did it. The kicker being to my advice here is that this is all my first set up and have never tried anything else - however, I also feel I have no need to. This has become my proprietary flats fishing tool and new obsession in life.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,556 Captain
    Good choice on the rod. Excellent service record.

As far as the reel. I have a Redington Rise that will be going on ebay with spare spool spool as I am not overly pleased with the drag and both spools seem a little wobbly when on the base. It was ok for a starter but I am much more pleased with my two Nautilus FW and FWX reels. I ordered an Allen Kraken that should arrive today and intend to test it hard and will post my findings.

Line. Airflo Ridge has treated me very well and Ihave the Monic clear which also cast nicely with minimal tangles. Rio has not worked for me. But everybody is different. I always use a tripping basket as well.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Great advice here from the others.

Would get the BVK for sure, it is a wolf in sheeps clothing, yes it may break on you but TFO will gladly send you another. I have two NRXs that sit home most days while I am having fun with the BVK. The BVK prefroms like a 700$ rod that sells for 229$. Would pass on the TFO reels, and consider Nautilus FWX or Galvan. Galvan is high quality with a decent drag. Believe Galvan T 6 would be OK if you do not get into decent size snook if so, T 8 would be good.

Wulff TT (not the short) or the Rio Quickshooter Bonefish is a slam dunk on the line for the flats.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck and have fun!
    Allen Kraken arrived. I must say it is smooth and tight in it's construction. The drag is very impressive from very light to almost locked down with no start up inertia at all. Heading out for snook tonight for it's first test. Probably will be a jack I'm sure.
    Will let yall know.
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Officer
    saltybum wrote: »
    Allen Kraken arrived. I must say it is smooth and tight in it's construction. The drag is very impressive from very light to almost locked down with no start up inertia at all. Heading out for snook tonight for it's first test. Probably will be a jack I'm sure.
    Will let yall know.

Yes ive settled on the Allen Kraken as well, cant beat it for the pricepoint and goodlooks, let me know how it does tonight! Im going to order the Kraken in the #3 size, cant make up my mind on the color tho, ive seen pics of the a black kraken on the BVK rod and it looks sick, but the blue color is awsome as well just dont know how it would look with the green BVK! Wat did u go with? Like the green and red color but dont see that color as an option on their site... Going to pick up the BVK rod tomarow from the store and going to place an order on the Kraken 3 this weekend! As for line, ive been busy looking at reels and havnt gotten to deciding on a line yet, but thanks to everyone for offering their opinions, helps me narrow it down.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I think the allen kraken is a good choice although i have never personally used on i have heard nothing but good things about the reel and the company. As for lines i would look in to an airflo ridge line. i have not used the floater version of the line but i have used the clear intermediate and it cast really nice, shoots incredibly well.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I think the allen kraken is a good choice although i have never personally used on i have heard nothing but good things about the reel and the company. As for lines i would look in to an airflo ridge line. i have not used the floater version of the line but i have used the clear intermediate and it cast really nice, shoots incredibly well.

X2, I really like the Air Flo lines also.
    FYIWFG
  • catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    Thinking of selling one of my Everglades. PM me if intersted.
    I got the green one. Actually it's more of a green teal, very nice looking with orange backing on it.
    For it's first test I did of course hook up with a jack. However this was a horse eye jack and only about 12" long. But it was my first ever horse eye and on a fly too. Next was a bluefish similar size, so I can't report on the drag etc. but it is nice looking on a Redington Link.
    It will hold a lot of backing as advertised.
    saltybum wrote: »
    I got the green one. Actually it's more of a green teal, very nice looking with orange backing on it.
    For it's first test I did of course hook up with a jack. However this was a horse eye jack and only about 12" long. But it was my first ever horse eye and on a fly too. Next was a bluefish similar size, so I can't report on the drag etc. but it is nice looking on a Redington Link.
    It will hold a lot of backing as advertised.

Nice, good to hear, ill probly end up with the black one. Going to place an order tomarrow
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    I have to put a vote in for the Airflo lines as well I have the bonefish/redfish floating line on my 8wt.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,201 Captain
    I dig the airflo as well, but to be perfectly honest it's been quite some time since I've had a line that I couldn't find a use for. I try to use them all, but wulff and rio tropical lines stand alone as the only lines I really don't like. Cortland liquid pe and crystal lines didn't impress me, but I can see how they could be useful in certail situations. SA and airflo seem to consistantly produce my fav's, airflo clobbers everyone in the density compensated category though. No one does tungsten like airflo. Right now I have all SA lines on 7/8/10, a steelhead taper (don't laugh), a grand slam, and a sharkskin clear tip. A ridge bone on the 790 Xi3, and a ridge clear on the CTS affinity 9wt, depthfinder 400 on the Prime, chopped and spliced onto a miracle braid running line.
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Love my airflo ridge line, but its textured pretty heavily so it will wear the skin on your fingers if you strip it enough.

Using a TFO Professional 8wt with Lamson Konic reel and love the setup.
    Thanks for all the advise guys, it will offer enough imput to help me pick the right line for my new setup. I will post pics when its all assembled but for now here is a pick of a red i sight casted on sunday afternoon on my current BassPro setup ive been working with lol...
    GOPR4289_zps7c6a22f2.jpg
    This is in Galveston Texas where im going to school at for the next couple years but im from Fort Pierce Fl where im at every break i get from this place!
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Nice red. I'm jealous. Keep up the good work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file