Cheap flies

2»

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 418 Deckhand

Dear Carl,

It's actually a lot more simple than you think. I have three years still until I eligible for parole, so I have plenty of free time on my hands. In between electroshock treatments, the warden sometimes lets me surf on the Internet. Unfortunately, most of the sites I want to visit are blocked. s here I am.

It's slow typing with just one hand, ... but my therapist tells me the straitjacket is still needed "for my own protection."

We'll see what he says when I crawl through his window some night .... but that is a different story...

Obviously, there are a lot of back stories here that are lost on me. Who cares what gear someone advocates? I don't know anyone here in real life, and visiting hours are pretty limited.

Honestly, I don't even know why people fly fish anyway. Wouldn't a swatter be a lot faster?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I know Carl in real life. We come from the same neck o the woods. He is no different in reality than his virtual persona. He is the kind of guy that wishes the best fly fishing experience without prejudice to beginners as well as old farts like me. I do not think the fly swatter is enough of a challenge for him. I am also pretty sure he shares your enforced wardrobe upon occasion AS DO I. Anybody who can tie a size 24 crease fly like he can is ok in my little book.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Really Inexpensive flies... try Sierra Trading Post online by the dozen some even with pricing hang tags through the eyes. Though their fresh water is so far significantly better than salt but then my fresh water Michigan action is 500 a trip but FLA Keys is 3000 plus a trip so I use pricey SS or the guides
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    tarpon41 wrote: »
    Really Inexpensive flies... try Sierra Trading Post online by the dozen some even with pricing hang tags through the eyes. Though their fresh water is so far significantly better than salt but then my fresh water Michigan action is 500 a trip but FLA Keys is 3000 plus a trip so I use pricey SS or the guides

Mr Tarpon 41, if I fished with the guides you fish with I would use their flies for sure! You rich people from Michigan sure have it easy! You get on a plane in first class, take a limo to the hotel, and then to Garrison Bite, and then at dinner you tip the waitress’ 5%. Sheesh! Looking forward to your next visit Ray, leave the Sierra stuff at home. I’ll have some Last Suppers for ya!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,556 Captain
    Interesting how this post started as a cheap fly source with three of the four first post recommending buy local or buy good hooks to attacking only ONE of those post, ODC. Seems that some of the arrogance is focused at the moderator for obviously personal reasons.

After having bought CHEAP flies online ( when I also had a cheap rod and reel just starting out ) myself for cobia and then checking out the hooks when received they were garbage and probably would have been bent by a four pound sea trout. Hence why I started tying myself with quality hooks.
    AND I completely agree with ODC, I would rather fish with a cheaper rod and reel and use the best hook in my fly. Nothing worse than losing that wall hanger to a bent hook.
    Not everybody can afford Abels, Tibors, Sage Xi3s, NRXs etc, but good hooks are and should always be used. ODC volunteers a lot of time teaching fly tying FREE and always recommends using better hooks. I'm on his side tonight. So go ahead attack me too.

Also the monkey was the first one to get his undies in a knot and was big enough to admit to wrongly taking offense when none was intended by the first three posters.
  • AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,701 Captain
    as most do
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,673 Admin
    A moderator's main duty is to first and foremost be a member. After that he is here to enforce the rules and should not be subject to vulgar messages whether public or private. That said, a moderator should not moderate a post where he or she has a dog in the fight. In these cases we will usually request another mod take a look and intervene. Now if it's just profane language or unacceptable images they are free to edit.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file