Razor Blades

RawDawsRawDaws Posts: 74 Deckhand
I've read both sides. Some people use scissors only, some just razors, and some a combo for dealing with deer hair. I want to give the razor thing a try to see what my preference is since I just started tying flies using deer hair. Problem is I can't find the double edged razors anywhere. Tried Michael's craft store, another craft store, walmart and target with no luck. About to order them offline, but I would much rather pick them up so I can try them out soon. Anyone have any department stores that carry them??? I'm in St. Pete.
Fishing in the RAW

-Brian

Replies

• acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I get mine at Wally World, but it is hit or miss. When they do have them, I stock up.
    FYIWFG
  • JohnnyTsuJohnnyTsu Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Try CVS or Walgreens.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,202 Captain
    I just steal them from acesover : )

Just be warned, you'll need scissors and razors for working with deer hair. A razor is useless if the hair isn't packed tight enough to support the cut.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    I just steal them from acesover : )

Ha, you think he's kidding? He's not. I have found that the Wilkinson blades don't last as long as the Personna, but none of them last more than a couple of bugs. I check Wally World ever time I go there, which isn't often.
    FYIWFG
  • DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,757 Captain
    I find those great double edge blades that you really need for cutting deerhair at a variety of places (including, believe it or not at my local grocery store at times....). They're also available on line through E-Bay. I don't pay any attention to brand since double edged blades are throwaway items for me... The only trick I can pass on is to break them in half length-wise before using them so you only have to handle one edge at a time (I use a small pair of nippers or dikes to hold the blade by one side in the middle then very carefully bend the blade back and forth until it cracks - then I do the other side in the same fashion). I use each blade in a slicing motion and the moment it's not cutting cleanly I toss it and pick up another one... Double edged blades are far superior to the single edged blades you an buy at paint or hardware stores.

Be careful using them -these ultra thin razor blades are really sharp and very thirsty (one of those "ask me how I know" moments...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer

WE are talking double edged blades. Those may be good for other purposes but you cannot bend them and make a curved cut in deer hair. I get em at CVS or Walgreens
  • RawDawsRawDaws Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Thanks guys
    Fishing in the RAW

-Brian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file