Please Help Identify

fishin-chickfishin-chick Posts: 17 Greenhorn
Hi,
This is my first post on the new forum. I caught this little fish by the Spoil Banks in Inglis, FL and although it is some kind of blow / puffer fish, I don't know exactly which kind it is and neither does my husband. Can anyone give me specifics? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 Officer
    It's a whale harpoon.
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    miccosukee?
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Looks like a porcupine puffer.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    The burrfish or spiny Boxfish (Chilomycterus schoepfi) is a member of the porcupinefish family Diodontidae. It is distinguished from the porcupinefish by the shorter, less sharply pointed, and immovable Spine which cover the somewhat spherical body. It can inflate its body by taking either air or water into a ventral extension of the stomach. Its color is olivaceous or brownish above and pale yellow below. The back and sides are irregularly striped with brownish, dusky, or black lines which are parallel to each other and which run obliquely downward. There are several large black spots on the sides, one just below the dorsal fin, and another behind the pectoral fin. Its maximum size is about 10 inches.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • fishin-chickfishin-chick Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thank You Capt. That's exactly what I was looking for. I surely appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    D.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,051 Moderator
    BTW, you will catch a lot more fish if you loose the swivel snap and tie the jig head on with a knot.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,376 Admiral
    BTW, you will catch a lot more fish if you loose the swivel snap and tie the jig head on with a knot.

Yep do away with the tourist rigs (excessive terminal tackle)...Tie your main line to 3ft of monofilament or fluorocarbon leader.Then tie direct to your jig head with a loop knot or clinch knot.A loop knot will give your jig better action.

(link for knots)
    http://www.yakjax.com/fishing-tips/Fishing-knots-braid.htm
    I know you are both right. The swivel just made it easier for me to change lures quickly because I'm still slow at tying knots and I like to change lures quite often. But, I'm going to take your advice and discard the swivels. But here's a question...how long should I wait to change out a lure if one doesn't seem to be attracting the fish? My husband does it quite often (no swivels involved of course) but how long would you wait?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,051 Moderator
    Pick a lure that YOU have confidence in and use it. All lures will catch fish, most lures entice fish to take a bite by the action given to it by the angler. The correct presentation is the most important part of lure fishing, and a great part of bait fishing. Until you get a refusal by a fish, which follows and then turns off your lure, don't bother to change. If your husband is catching, and you are not, switch to one he is using. The most important thing to remember is lures catch fishermen, fishermen catch fish.
    okay, thanks...I'll give it a shot. Just have to practice my knot tying ablilities. I know it's more of the technique than the lure itself because I can use the exact same lure and still not catch fish. But I'll keep practicing. I appreciate the encouragement. (the knot-tying link was pretty cool, too)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file