Heading to the keys to do some bridge fishing need help.

Okay so next week ill be heading down to the keys to do some bridge fishing for two days and one night. I haven't fished bridges in the keys for at least 5 years so I was looking on some tips as for which bridges are good this time of year. I have all the equipment I need I also have goggle eyes ballyhoo and will buy squid if need be. Anyways thanks for the help and look for a report kid week next week.

Replies

• alex5000alex5000 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    last year i went to the 7mile bridge on my motorcycle & i came acroos this old man fishing from the bridge with cut sardines, with a sinker 2 the bottom.he had a 5 gallon bucket full of good sized snappers.he told he sold his boat cuse he got better fish of that bridge then on his boat.,every time his bait hit the bottom it was a nice snapper up to him..it was during the week at about 2pm..he also had a chum bag with a weight sitting on the bottom..he told me sharks riped his bag a few times..
  • pastordanpastordan Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Channel 2 and channel 5 have always produced if fished correctly.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 945 Officer
    alex5000 wrote: »
    last year i went to the 7mile bridge on my motorcycle & i came acroos this old man fishing from the bridge

There has been no fishing allowed on the 7 Mile Bridge now for some time. OK, below from the abutment on the east side.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • BlueStringMoonBlueStringMoon Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Hey there Lyfeoff1shing,

I went fishing one time to Channel 5 with a buddy one day about two hours before the tide change around eight in the mourning. The waters were calm enough to look down and find schools of bait and use our Sabiki rigs to catch them. Just to note we were there all day until six pm.
    We found out when the tide turns (either in and out) regular weights like 1/2oz. and 3/4oz. just ride the current with your bait and end up near the surface. If you purchase some heavy sinkers like 2oz. or 3oz. your bait will go straight down where the fish are at and stay there long enough before the current drags it out. I would even go as far as to bring 4oz. egg sinkers just to make sure you even reach the bottom during high or low tide currents.
    I would also recommend bringing a box of squid, just make sure your presentation looks good, the fish do care, lol.
    I hope you catch lots of fish and have fun, theres a lot of Lane and Mutton snapper down there.

Good luck,
    Louis.
  • Tropic RatTropic Rat Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Been some decades since I bridge fished with my dad & I was a little tyke- I strongly agree with the extra weight concept because the current can really rip in those channels.

How heavy rod/reel/ line combo do you guys advise?
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 449 Deckhand
    TeamTeke wrote: »
    There has been no fishing allowed on the 7 Mile Bridge now for some time. OK, below from the abutment on the east side.

When did they close the west side of 7 Mile? It was open for fishing a few months ago I believe
  • aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    When did they close the west side of 7 Mile? It was open for fishing a few months ago I believe

I think he was referring to the east side. The old bridge that goes from MArathon, out towards Pigeon Key. You used to be able to fish out to a couple hundred yards out. A couple years ago there was a no fishing sign. I'm not sure when it went up as I spend most of my time under the bridge :)

I'm not sure if they still let walkers, joggers and sunset watchers out there still.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file